Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Queen Slide Cracked

I'm long winded as usual.

I tried to include images but I couldn't make them work. I have them in an album entitled "Shamrock" under sunqueen.

My poor Shamrock is in the shop. It went in a few weeks ago to have a little maintenance and a few minor repairs. When they were walking around, Mel looked up and noticed a few hairline cracks on either side of the top of the slide. The technician set up an appointment for us to bring it back and told us to hit it with a little caulk to keep more water from getting in.

When I first started going through chemo, I firmly resolved to camp every weekend so I wouldn't lie around the house for months. The owner of the campground we frequent let us keep our rig on the same spot for 10 weeks and only charged us for the nights we were there. That was awesome considering it was high season and he was fully booked. We brought the camper back and forth for a short time and then booked for another eight weekends. He let us keep it there again, on our usual spot.

We thought it was okay to leave the slide out during the week while we were gone. I suppose this was alright while we were in drought conditions but a few weeks ago we hit the rainy season. We didn't know water was getting into the wall because it was dry in the camper. Now the wall is mush on either side of the slide.

The service guy says it's probably not too bad because there isn't much wall there. He's going to remove the slide and repair anything around the opening that he can get to without taking the cap off. The estimate is $600. If for some reason the damage is far worse, he said it could run as high as $4000 to remove the cap and perform major repairs. I asked if it was something the factory covered but he said no, it's a 2007. We bought the unit on Craigslist and we're very grateful to get service easily from a shop less than 15 miles from home. We took a loan out at the credit union and still owe a few thousand, so trading it in is not an option at this point.

We're scheduled for a week at Bahia Honda starting the 27th. After that, she goes back to our usual CG. We were finally offered a perm spot two weeks ago and signed the lease last week. We'll pull in the slide when we leave. We asked about a slide awning but were told it probably wouldn't be the best idea now that the unit has damage.

I'm just heartsick. Does anyone have any thoughts to offer? This is our first camper, so we're still not savvy about these things. I've learned tons from reading here that has helped us whenever we had little things pop up in the past. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.

2009 F150 Supercrew - 2007 Shamrock 23RS Hard Slide -buh bye!
2011 Outback 260FL
Cleo & Isis - Jack Russell Terrorists

Nights camped in 2010 - 54
Nights camped in 2011 - 93
sunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
This is a real long shot but maybe you could find a slide at a salvage yard. Here is a list for FL.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #3

Ah, the pics didn't post so you can't see what I'm talking about. The slide itself didn't crack, it's the wall that holds it in place. I do thank you for your suggestion though.

2011 Outback 260FL

Old 08-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #4

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
You could just put a Eternabond tape seal on the crack(2",4",6"-inch widths). If it not under warranty, The crack isn't going to hurt anything as long as its sealed. All you did was crack the outer shell layer of the sandwich construction. From what I understand your not moving it far or its in a permanent site. Seal and just keep and eye on it for water leaks...which shouldn't happen with the Eternabond tape seal! Add the slide awning after your on the leased site.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

Thanks Big Red. I'll order a roll.

2011 Outback 260FL

Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #6

The estimate came in yesterday. $2800 to pull the end cap off, repair the wall and put it all back together. They pulled the queen slide out and the back wall was completely shot on the inside. The damage was too far gone for the more simple repair. I wish I didn't still owe several thousand on it. Suddenly the Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608SS is looking mighty attractive.

Le sigh.

2011 Outback 260FL

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock