Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

Question about Roo canvas.

Hello All!

If you have seen my previous posts, you know that I have been going over my new 233s with a fine toothed comb the last 2 days.

Cleaned the roof (it is mostly white again), installed Maxx Air II covers, cleaned the awnings (front and slide) and cleaned all the canvas inside and out.

Question: Are the zip-open sides of the bunk ends a different material than the top and ends? The tops and ends cleaned up real nice, but the sides of the bunks seem to be some kind of "cloth" instead of vinyl-canvas. There are black spots growing on them, but nothing takes it off. It is more like a thin cloth material that is holding onto the little spots.

Anyone else notice this? If so, how do you clean that stuff?

Thanks Folks!

James
DSN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #2

You are right that there are two types of material on the tent ends. The top and parts of the sides are vinyl coated and the actual windows are just canvas. My canvas only material does have tiny specks of brown and black, but they are miniscule and I am pretty sure just part of the material. How big are the black spots you are talking about? Can you post a picture? I took a picture of mine this morning and will post it. Does yours look similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3814448563.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	13048  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

Thank you for answering!

Sorry I don't have pics to upload yet.

Yes, mine has the little dark spots, but it also has some areas that I KNOW are where mildew or mold has started. This unit sat opened up on dealer lot for a good 4 months. It looks as if the areas toward the bottoms where the bug screen always touches might allow for this stuff to start growing.

I don't know what substance to use to get rid of it that will still be safe for the canvas.

Any ideas?

Thank you again.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #4

What about some type of oxy cleaner? Worked wonders for me in the past on other items. I would stay away from anything like bleach. May cause fabric to crumble.
wagstaff76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Site Team

a mild bleach solution would work or a mold/mildew store product.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #6

Thank you all.

I am going to give some different things a try. I'll let you know if I find one that works so that anyone else in the future can search this thread.

James
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Site Team

you could contact the company that makes the canvas for the Roo.
there should be a tag on the inside of the canvas ends with the manufacturer's name.
there was also a maintenance sheet in the owner's manual stuff, from the company.
i can't remember mines right now. if i do i'll post it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #8

Thanks bikendan!

The company is TJ Snuggles. I will try to contact them. It is strange that they don't have a website we can visit. If you try to go to tjsnuggles.com, you get a screen that says that you don't have permission to see it! I wonder why they are secretive?

James
Old 05-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Site Team

that's the company. no, they don't have a website, probably because they are a sub-contractor for FR and other companies and just do canvas.
they may not be big enough or need one.

here's the number i have: (574) 546-4404

they can send you the care and maintenance sheet i got and maybe they would have some cleaning product suggestions.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #10

Thank you for the number!

I actually found their number through the web, but again, no actual website. You would think they would have one since they have been in business for 100 years...

Anyway, I called the spoke with them. The woman I spoke with was very nice and helpful. She actually took my number, then called the textile manufacturer where they get the material from and asked THEM how to clean the canvas! I was impressed. She said that the director guy from where they get the canvas told her that the best way to clean non-vinyl canvas is a mixture of 50/50 bleach (non-additive bleach) and water. Just spray it on and wipe lightly with wet, soft sponge. Keep at it until the mildew starts disappearing. Then rinse VERY well and allow to dry completely. He said that you may not be able to make it completely disappear, but the spores will be dead and as long as you maintain it (never fold it up wet again) the mildew shouldn't return.

So there you have it. Hopefully this thread will help someone else who experiences this. Like I said, it is not bad on my canvas. Only a few places toward the bottoms of the side screens. However, I can tell that the dealer had folded the bunk ends in when there was still some moisture on them.

Thanks for your help!

James
Old 05-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #11

Here is problem i am having with the "canvas" material on the sides of bunk ends on my 12 23ss..... Furious, first trip out and we got some rain last night, 2:30 in the morning my daughter wakes me up to this...... It can not be condensation, everything was fine until rain!!!!! What should i do??????

Name:	image-2271972664.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	13273

Name:	image-3166872650.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	13272

Name:	image-2495430788.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	13275

Name:	image-524118846.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	13274
ahanebrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahanebrink View Post
Here is problem i am having with the "canvas" material on the sides of bunk ends on my 12 23ss..... Furious, first trip out and we got some rain last night, 2:30 in the morning my daughter wakes me up to this...... It can not be condensation, everything was fine until rain!!!!! What should i do??????

Attachment 13273

Attachment 13272

Attachment 13275

Attachment 13274

first question, did you "season" the canvas before going camping?
there are instructions for doing this in the paperwork from the manufacturer.

second, it's hard to tell if the moisture has soaked the canvas from the outside or the inside.
anytime it's cold outside and you run the furnace, without allowing for air movement, you'll easily get condensation. especially if it's cold and wet outside.

third, did you use Popup Gizmos or solar blankets? using these really help eliminate condensation, along with providing air movement.

many new hybrid owners will button up their hybrid tight, when camping in rainy or cold weather.
doing this without a fan going or the vents open, will quickly cause condensation, especially in the tent ends.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #13

I do not have popup gizmos. It was 80 degree thunderstorm, with bath vent on with maxx cover and side windows cracked.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #14

I also had seams seasoned by dealer from sitting on lot as display.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Site Team

then i would take the trailer back to the dealer and have them test the canvas and have it replaced if it continues to seep from the outside.

as far as i know, all but the windows are vinylized canvas. it appears that's where you're getting the seepage.
you might want to make sure the window canvas isn't vinylized and possibly find out if the window material should seep that much.

you might choose to treat the windows with something water resistant, like they use on tents.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #16

ahanebrink,

The person from TJ Snuggles that I spoke to said that if there is seepage, which it looks you might have, then she said the only brand of water repelant that is known to be safe to use with their product is ScotchGuard.

If I were you, I would try it before doing anything else. Allow your bunkends to dry thoroughly. Then unzip them and lay them down flat as you can to the inside. Cover your mattress with something to protect it from overspray. The lady said use "very light" coating of Scotchguard and allow it to dry until it is bone dry before getting it wet again.

Hope this works! Let us know how it turns out.

James
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #17

Im waiting and really hoping that is not the answer i get from my dealer. I do not find it acceptable to spend that much money and have a new camper you have to seal yourself.