Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #1

Question for Newer Rockford Roo Hybrid Owners

I have a 2014 233s hybrid - unfortunately, it's time to get rid of it. There has been nothing right with this unit (it's been sent back to the factory for repairs and it's still not right).

My family LOVES the hybrid (it's our first camper) - my question is - How is the construction on the newer units? I am hoping I just got a bad unit - just not sure how I feel about risking trading it for a new unit (or if I will continue to have so many issues). It may be time to abandon the hybrid ... sucks cause I so want to love this damn camper

Would love to hear feedback from anyone with a newer Forest River Hybrid!

- Jesse
Marine3038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #2

So far (knock on particle board) my unit has been flawless after about 30 nights camping. I have not run the AC or heater an awful lot other than testing but so far all has worked as it should. I had major flooding in it the first night that I couldn't believe would be entirely due to not seasoning enough...but I have been in major downpours since that time and not a drop inside. It has rained most of the days I have camped.

My guess is that the construction is very similar to yours. The problem is consistency and it is hard to know how many gremlins any unit might have beyond a very thorough PDI. I don't know that a hybrid is any more or less likely to have issues beyond the slight increase in complexity from the bunk ends. I mean when you think about it, most of the parts are shared across all lines at these price levels so the percentage chance of issues is likely the same. My previous FR toy hauler had some water leaks in the plumbing but was otherwise pretty solid.

I do like the new interiors and colors of the 15's and 16's.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #3

So far so good with ours. 2 trips thus far w/ plenty of rain. No leaks after seasoning (rain storm on first night). Mine has the water filter that apparently likes to unscrew itself (no issues with this either - put tape from the bowl to the housing just in case).

Niece from Bradenton has been camped out in our driveway the last 2 weeks during our 3rd wettest June ever and not a drop.

One thing we did was purchase a unit from the lot. It was set-up and we visited with it 2 times with both being informal PDI's prior to purchasing so we got to know the camper. Build date was early February before the heavy ordering madness starts.

I spent some time in the RV business after retiring from my real job. In this area the big show is in March and everyone orders at once wanting delivery in early May. As due dates get close customers start getting nervous, this gets the dealers nervous and you can imagine the volume of demands coming into the factories from around the country. Compared to the Auto business, RV's are a cottage industry. Instead of assembly line work that you can QC, you have a crew building a small house and because RV's are a luxury item, we fickle consumers can pull the plug at any bad economic news making it difficult to predict sales and properly staff with trained employees. Where the RV industry is terrible is performing an end of build thorough inspection so the problems are caught/fixed prior to shipment.

In a new one I would avoid RV's that have been in shows unless the deal is just too good to pass up. You wouldn't believe the abuse a camper can go through when a mob is set loose.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #4

I would hope you just got a lemon. I'm hoping for me as well as you since I have an early 2015 ikss. So far nearly trouble free. Only significant issue was a split water filter housing...see prior post. We enjoy everything about it having been previously pup owners. Ease of set up and tear down are especially important as you achieve senior citizen status. Storage, comfort etc etc. Probably the same things you like about yours. Perhaps you could give more details about what exactly is wrong with yours. Lots of camping experience on this forum and maybe others could help sort the problems out.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine3038 View Post
I have a 2014 233s hybrid - unfortunately, it's time to get rid of it. There has been nothing right with this unit (it's been sent back to the factory for repairs and it's still not right).

My family LOVES the hybrid (it's our first camper) - my question is - How is the construction on the newer units? I am hoping I just got a bad unit - just not sure how I feel about risking trading it for a new unit (or if I will continue to have so many issues). It may be time to abandon the hybrid ... sucks cause I so want to love this damn camper

Would love to hear feedback from anyone with a newer Forest River Hybrid!

- Jesse
Our 2014 23ss was built early October 2013. We've had no issues so far other than no caulking in the hole where the awning and led strip wires enter the trailer (behind forward awning plastic trim piece). Had water puddling on floor near EC cabinet during an all night rainstorm - I remember cussing about it when I got up out of the front bunk and stepped right in the puddle! Fortunately it was an easy fix.

Curious when yours was built. FR had just built a new plant/building for hybrids when we toured the factory in early Sept 2013 and had just moved production into it. You wonder how one tt has so many issues and others are issue free or something minor.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #6

Here's my experience for what it's worth:

Our 2012 Roo 19 had zero issues with leaking. From my reading on this forum, the bunk ends leaking seems to be either "feast or famine" - either you have it or you don't, with MOST not having it. The only real issue we had was lousy HWH inlet/outlet/bypass valves. Ended up replacing 2 of the 3.

When we PDI'd our new 2016 Mini Lite 2503S we found one side of the "board" that the Murphy Bed hinges on was not screwed in. Dealer fixed it in 5 minutes. (Then I added an additional screw on both sides!) The cabinetry and such had a few dings and scrapes that one of those furniture stain pencils should fix. (Didn't have this problem on the Roo.) The shower stall walls have a small leak that I'm still working on finding.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #7

We have a 2014 233S Shamcock (exactly the same as the Roo) and have not had any issues that weren't a quick fix. The bracket holding up the plumbing for the grey tank needed a rivet replaced. I drilled a little hole and installed a nut, washer and bolt in its place. The weld on the hinge of the water heater cover was no good, but I am just careful when opening it. The toilet started emitting a HORRIBLE smell. After searching the forum, we found it to be common and called Dometic. They identified it as a known issue and immediately sent us a new one, free of charge. It was pretty simple to replace myself. Other than that, we have had no problems.

In 2014 we took it on 9 trips for a total of 24 nights. In 2015 we have been on 4 trips for a total of 7 nights. We are currently on a 22 night, 3,800 mile trip (5 days and 1200 miles into the trip). There have been no issues on this trip so far either.

Good luck with making a decision.
JimmyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #8

2015 21ss been out a few times. Heat works a/c works all is good

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 2015 21ss havein fun
Hicks43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #9

2014 23ikss. About 22 nights camping and no issues. Fan over the oven did not work during PDI and we waited a week to pick it up so it could be fixed. So far, this has been the only problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
richl167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
Broken Toe

Had mine two years. Camped in torrential, frog-choking rain without any so much as a drop.

IMHO 90% of leaks are caused by something caught in the seal when closing. The seals are really good on these units. They do NOT have to be cranked down tight to seal. In fact, too much pressure will make them seal worse.

I always give my seals and seal landings a wipe-down with a damp rag just before closing. Even a piece of grass or leaf stem can wick moisture past the seal. And I always stow the bunks with the camper sealed up and the fan on. It sucks the bunk ends in. Then I make sure to quadruple check that I have no bunk canvas stuck in the seal area. It's easy to do and hard to see. I have seen people simply throw the door closed, crank down on the latches and go on there merry way, then wonder why they have water in their camper.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #11

Have 2014 Roo model with no major problems in manufacturer. Been through some hard rain without a leak. Problem with awning was Dometic's fault. Bad water pump was Sureflo. Sounds like you just just got a lemon. If you buy Forest River, get second year of warranty, it's cheap.
Probwrm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #12

No significant issues with our 2014 233s. I had a problem with the jack, not necessarily FR's problem. Only thing I've worked on so far is the cheap screen door handle had to be replaced twice (still looking for a better handle) and the toilet replacement. Other than that, just some simple mods to it (knock on wood). We driveway camped in the trailer the first night to make sure the AC/Heater really worked for a duration, and we've taken it out about 5 times now with no issues. I'm still debating taking the water filter completely out, but the times I've inspected it prior to leaving, it seemed to be properly fitted. Sorry for your luck.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #13

We have a 2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS, and have taken it on many trips, long and short. We just got home from almost a month in WY (from MO). It's been from MO to FL, MO to AL Gulf Coast, to Lakes MI and Huron 3-4 times, and local river campgrounds. We're heading back up to MI next week. We camp with our two big dogs, and often with 4-5 people in the Roo. So it's getting some heavy use. Any problems we've had have been self-inflicted--the dumb type, of course. It sure sounds like you got a lemon, and I'm sorry you've had such trouble.
Gene and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #14
Engineer of Crazy Train

I have a 2015 Roo 183. I recently saw minor water in the front bunk, but I am thinking it is my fault. I don't think I had the mattress right and it was between the night stand and putting slight pressure on the bunk door and not sealing it properly.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, hybrid, roo