Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Question for those who bought their camper online

We are purchasing our camper from an online dealership who also has several locations throughout the US. Once completed it will be delivered to their dealership closes to us.
My question is did you sign all your paperwork before even seeing the camper? If we sign the bill of sale and all the other paperwork then we are stuck w/ a camper we never have seen. What if there are problems during the pdi? We would have to take the camper home and then setup a time to have it fixed vs being able to leave the camper and not sign the paperwork until the pdi problems are fixed.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #2

Once you sign you're at their mercy. Wait until your are completely satisfied. Fax the dealer your PDI checklist so they know what you expect and they can take care of things beforehand.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
WFD

We have done it twice..except ours was not an online wholesaler but rather dealers who do alot of online business. The latest one, we ordered before Christmas and we are going down to pick up on Mar 31st.
The dealer required $1000 deposit to place the order, and had us sign the purchase agreement as well as the sheet listing all the options we requested. Dealer agreed to us bringing a Bank draft with us when we go down to pick it up. Gives us the ability to see the trailer and do the PDI prior to handing over the draft. If there are issues, then they can fix it right there and then if they want the draft.
This dealer does a ton of online business, particularly with Canadians, and as they told me many times, they cant afford to have a muddy name all over the internet. An acquaintance of ours bought a trailer off this dealer a few years ago and the dealer rolled out the red carpet for them when they arrived to get their trailer. They said far better treatment than any of our local dealers offered them.

I guess my question would be: Are you buying new or used...if used than there would be a whole other set of questions that would have to be satisfied in my mind prior to signing anything. In my mind there is a big difference in buying sight unseen between new and used....not so sure I would do it on a used unit.

Rick
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #4

Can you share who your dealer is, I'm in the market for a new RV now and would appreciate a recommendation.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
WFD

Too Tall...who is your question addressed to?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #6

We are buying new and not thru RVW.
But 2 things are bothering me.
1. I have seen pics online of peoples camper at their PDI and seen some huge issues. I don't want to have to take the camper home and then travel all the way back with it for them to fix it. If I haven't signed for it I would think they would be more willing to address issues right away.
2. We signed a buyers order/purchase order which listed the agreed upon price and all the options we opted for. Now I get the bill of sale and the price is $300 less. But the bill of sale doesn't list any of the options. So my question is did an option not get installed??? I have never heard of any dealer just dropping $300 off the agreed upon price.
Yes, we put a deposit down when ordering and we also have more money to put down on the camper. The online dealer wants me to send a bank check w/ the remain down payment along w/ the all the paperwork they sent. If I do this I would have nothing to get them to address our issues or concerns.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

we bought our Roo from House of Camping, outside of Chicago, which was 2000 miles from us.
the only "online" we did, was finding the trailer. all the negotiations were done by email, phone and fax. so not sure what you mean by "bought online".

we did not sign anything until we showed up. i do think we put a $1000 deposit on it, but can't remember if it was refundable or not.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
WFD

I should have clarified in my earlier post...we...like bikendan...used the internet to find our best deal and research but in the end had numerous phone conversations and email exchanges with the dealer. We were comfortable with the floorplan of the trailer and general build of the trailer as we were able to physically see one like it at a local dealer.

Rick
Old 03-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #9

ParrishCamper. Buying through an internet dealer is a trade off. Pro-you get the good price. Negative-there is little or no customer service. You are on your own. I purchased my 2109 through RVW, paid the deposit and signed the purchase agreement over the internet. That went very smoothly. While I waited for delivery, if I called with questions, rarely could I get an answer or return call. However, when the TT actually arrived at the dealership, I had a very thorough and complete PDI. Again, pros and cons.

As far as warranty repair work, I found a dealership that was willing to do the work, that sometimes is a problem. They charged their regular rate (higher), collected the warranty rate RVW was willing to pay (lower), and I paid the difference. I only had one warranty issue so this worked for me. You can not be assured that all dealers will be willing to do the work if you did not purchase from them. Don't expect dealers to be willing to do the work for what RVW wants to pay.

But again, it all worked for me. If you want everything to be exact and guaranteed, possibly you should pay the higher price and have a dealer that you have a relationship with. Buying over the internet is not for everyone. If you buy from an internet dealer, despite the web site declarations, it becomes more of a do-it-yourself situation.

My experience with RVW was mostly positive. The purchase price was great. I was wiling to take the risk. If you want a risk adverse situation you may want to consider a local dealer.

Good luck with your purchase.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Too Tall...who is your question addressed to?
WFD, you. Just wondering if you could give me a recommendation on who's got some good prices. RV Direct is who I've been talking to about a Flagstaff and Rockwood.

thanks

Tags
camper