Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #1

Quick disconnect stabilizer?

Hello - we are picking up our new trailer on Thursday and I'm not sure I will be able to get up my driveway. The driveway itself isn't too steep but the transition from the street to the beginning part of the driveway is. I'm afraid the rear of the trailer will scrape so I may have to temporarily unbolt the rear stabilizers to gain some extra clearance. If that works, I'm wondering if there is some sort of quick disconnect that would make this an easier process long term. Does such a thing exist?

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #2

Nevermind. I should have Googled it before posting. I found what I was looking for. If unbolting the rear stabilizers gets it into the driveway, I will pickup a set and post the results.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Hello - we are picking up our new trailer on Thursday and I'm not sure I will be able to get up my driveway. The driveway itself isn't too steep but the transition from the street to the beginning part of the driveway is. I'm afraid the rear of the trailer will scrape so I may have to temporarily unbolt the rear stabilizers to gain some extra clearance. If that works, I'm wondering if there is some sort of quick disconnect that would make this an easier process long term. Does such a thing exist?
I have these and they work great.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

Thanks Brother Les. That is what I found when I googled it. They are exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to wait and see if I need them. Glad you like them and they work well. Certainly does give a lot more rear clearance. Did you have to drill into your rear bumper or did you just unbolt the stabilizers and install the mounting plate?

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 06-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Thanks Brother Les. That is what I found when I googled it. They are exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to wait and see if I need them. Glad you like them and they work well. Certainly does give a lot more rear clearance. Did you have to drill into your rear bumper or did you just unbolt the stabilizers and install the mounting plate?

My 'stabilizers' are still there. The stabilizers are not beefy enough for what is needed, but I did not take them off. I drilled some pilot holes and installed the quick release plates, using the plate as a template for the hole positions. Along the side of one of the I-beams runs my gas line. I installed the quick release plate to where the scissor jack would not come close to rubbing the gas line. The plate that mounts to the scissor jack that I use on the gas line side is bolted offset so the scissor jack is not even close to the gas line.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote