Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

Radio upgrade

I was reading a thread regarding the IRV radios, and it brought me to this following question.
I know IRV are not the best radio and they are poorly connected by Forest River............... Is there a good AM/FM/CD/DVD radio on the market that is worth buying. In my previous hybrid, I installed a Jensen and it was way better than what I have now. Once I changed the speakers (Inside/Outside) the sound was decent............at least much better than that IRV. Do I care about Bluetooth.....nah !!! I just want a good system.

What are your thoughts!
Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #2

I think if you installed some Bose speakers to what you have and wire them correctly it would be fine. Good speakers do a lot for good sound. I would start there.

ps Dre I installed that same shower head you have and we tried it out last weekend! Worked great! We had a rough trip, noisy campground but the camper was great!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #3

I have the last model Elite RV Bluetooth stereo (200 watts) and LOVE IT.

Looks like they have upgraded it to this model: RV Stereo 12 Volt Wall Mount Bluetooth CD DVD Player Surround Sound DRIVE06 USPS | eBay
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

If your primary concern is sound quality, you can also add a subwoofer to the iRV if it is bass you are looking for. I am sure that the built in amplifier won't handle a big one but just a small efficient one would improve things a lot. Just upgrading the speakers would go a LONG way. They are very crummy. In fact one of my was literally crummy. When I removed it to check the polarity, it was full of saw dust and chips!

Check for clearance before buying speakers. Mine are in the bottom of cabinets and only have about 1.5" of clearance behind them.

For me, the bigger issue is just the function of the unit itself. What a terrible user interface... I don't think you could design something much worse
Old 05-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

I have a hard time understanding why they installed channel A with only one speaker and the same for chanel B...........Both channels should have a left and right speaker !!!!!!.........and than you have the exterior speakers that sound soooo bad !!!!!
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #6

I'm in the process of installing these speakers:

5-1/4 Inches Kevlar 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - 50W Nominal, 100W Max - Monoprice.com

It's a bit of an effort as I needed to enlarge the ceiling opening a little and add blocking because the wood on the bottom of the foam is not thick enough to mount the speakers but I had them in temporarily over the weekend and they sounded pretty good when we were watching a movie.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

I fixed the wiring on my radio last night, A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!
I like how the radio sounds now. I think I will ad 2 speakers to the back bedroom.
Gonna be tough to do though.

Tags
radio, upgrade