Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeeley View Post
I know this is probably one of the biggest "Hot Button" topics and everyone is going to get their popcorn and prepare for fireworks! Here's my questions:

Has anyone used the product safety struts? www.mount-n-lock.com

While I won't add a bike rack to the rear of my stock bumper, I'm thinking about it while using this product...it's only going to carry two kids bikes.

I have a 2014 Shamrock 21SS and my bumper (steel 4") has two pieces of 2x3 square channel welded to the bumper(they are about 5" tabs) and then those tabs are welded to the 6" frame.

Thoughts? Thanks...I think!

mfeeley,
Mobile RVing.com has this article today about the Safety Struts and I thought you might like to see it, ... its another very positive review of the benefits of using them, ... happy trailering

https://mobilerving.com/blog/dont-le...7+-+Check+Date

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #22

I haven't used the mount-n-lock (yet) but it looks like a solid product.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
mfeeley,
Mobile RVing.com has this article today about the Safety Struts and I thought you might like to see it, ... its another very positive review of the benefits of using them, ... happy trailering

https://mobilerving.com/blog/dont-le...7+-+Check+Date
I think these are OK, but I would point out that the article is a bit biased, as it was written by the company owner:

About the Author: Ralph Kirtland has over 10 years’ experience in the RV industry and an additional 10 years’ experience in manufacturing. He is an inventor with patents in the manufacturing, towing, and cargo management fields and is currently President of BetterBilt Solutions LLC, designers of the Mount-n-Lock™ line of products, which includes the SafetyStruts™ Bumper Support Brackets. Kirtland got into the RV bumper business after his neighbor’s RV bumper tore loose at the start of a 3,000 mile trip, prompting Kirtland to develop, test, and produce a solution to this vexing problem

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I think these are OK, but I would point out that the article is a bit biased, as it was written by the company owner:

About the Author: Ralph Kirtland has over 10 years’ experience in the RV industry and an additional 10 years’ experience in manufacturing. He is an inventor with patents in the manufacturing, towing, and cargo management fields and is currently President of BetterBilt Solutions LLC, designers of the Mount-n-Lock™ line of products, which includes the SafetyStruts™ Bumper Support Brackets. Kirtland got into the RV bumper business after his neighbor’s RV bumper tore loose at the start of a 3,000 mile trip, prompting Kirtland to develop, test, and produce a solution to this vexing problem
well Rockfordroo, I certainly overlooked that bit of info, guess I stopped reading too soon, ..... please forgive, forgive, forgive ..............

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #25

A suggestion as an alternative.
In the case of your blue bomber, perhaps a roof rack.
I have a pickup TV with an aluminum bed-mounted tool box, and I added a pair of these to the lid: https://www.amazon.com/Thule-821-Rid...xle+bike+mount
I can load the bed with all manner of junk and put the bikes in the axle mount and the rear tires on top of the load. If need be, a rope can tether the rear tires in place atop the load.

The ride on a rear-bumper bike rack is very rough on the bikes. The ride on your tow vehicle...especially between the axles rather than hanging off the rear bumper...is much smoother. And you have none of the worries of trashing the bikes or trashing the rear bumper on the RV.

Just a thought.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, mount