Old 09-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #1

Rear electric stabilizer not working

On our last trip out, the rear stabilizer wouldnít retract. I thought it was stuck. I started retracting it manually and then had the wife hit the switch and it retracted. But it seemed to drag and struggle. Now it doesnít work, I will do manually and have the hit the switch and sometimes it will take over, but struggle. Iíve cleaned the the screw and joints
Suggestions?

Ghwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #2

Not sure if we have the same model jacks or not, I believe mine are Lippert brand. If they are like mine, the rubber boot covering the motor is not quite watertight. My rear jacks acted just like you described, so before ordering a new motor I decided to see about fixing mine. Water had collected in the bottom of the boot and motor long enough to rust the spring that holds pressure in on the lower brush, ( see in attached pictures). I cleaned up rust best I could, replaced the spring, and reinstalled motor. Been working now for a few months. Hope this helps. Happy Camping.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_182127.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	215458Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_181729.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	215460Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_181818.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	215461

tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #3

When did electric stabilizers go on the Roos?

-- Chuck
Old 09-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
I was wondering the same thing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

The guy I bought it from put them on
Old 09-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #6

Lippert brand.

2X tonyz1
After reassembly put hose clamps on the body and power cord inlet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BD558BA-17C5-4548-93DD-B1A3AAA1F5A5.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	215572  
Abroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abroach View Post
2X tonyz1

Itís a sealed unit,
Old 09-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abroach View Post
2X tonyz1
Thanks Abroach. I was going to use silicone around boot and cord opening. The hose clamps look like a very good idea, think I'll use them too.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #9

Lippert brand

Tonyz1
New wildwood in 2018. 7 trips all in rain
Rear Stabilizers got slow then quit
Tires sling water right into the motor
Did same repair as you
Then thought how to prevent
Hose clamps not as attractive as silicone
But easily removed for future maintenance
And was hanging in the garage
Pulled 8 times this season not much rain
But working well so far
Abroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghwer View Post
Itís a sealed unit,
Ok, might be a different brand than I have. I thought my LCI's were sealed but after I investigated and found the rust damage, I discovered the cord opening wasn't sealing at all. Just what I found on the Lippert brand ones.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
They're available as an option on new Rockwood Mini-Lites purchased from RVW. I assume they're factory-installed?
- 2014 Shamrock 21DK
- 2020 Rockwood 2507S on order for November delivery.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
Not sure if we have the same model jacks or not, I believe mine are Lippert brand. If they are like mine, the rubber boot covering the motor is not quite watertight. My rear jacks acted just like you described, so before ordering a new motor I decided to see about fixing mine. Water had collected in the bottom of the boot and motor long enough to rust the spring that holds pressure in on the lower brush, ( see in attached pictures). I cleaned up rust best I could, replaced the spring, and reinstalled motor. Been working now for a few months. Hope this helps. Happy Camping.Attachment 215458Attachment 215460Attachment 215461
I had precisely the same problem and also used the manual to start it working until it didnt work any longer.

I was going to replace the motor when my neighbor came by and told e about his friend who took his apart, cleaned it and repaired it.

I took it apart and found just what you did, even the spring had rusted. I tried and tried to find a replacement spring but could not. I was able to pull the spring to lengthen it and regain the spring tension on the brush to get it to work again.

Where did you find a replacement spring? Thanks
Old 09-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I had precisely the same problem and also used the manual to start it working until it didnt work any longer.

I was going to replace the motor when my neighbor came by and told e about his friend who took his apart, cleaned it and repaired it.

I took it apart and found just what you did, even the spring had rusted. I tried and tried to find a replacement spring but could not. I was able to pull the spring to lengthen it and regain the spring tension on the brush to get it to work again.

Where did you find a replacement spring? Thanks
I could actually bang on the motor with my hand while holding the button and it would try to turn, so it seemed to me that it was something that could be fixed. That is why I decided to take it apart. Believe it or not, I used the spring out of an ink pen. Had to cut it in half to shorten up enough. Kept the other half of spring for a spare if needed. Hey, sometimes you have to improvise when you own a RV!
Anyway, hope the OP has found his problem with his. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just sharing our experiences with these LCI jacks.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #14

Lippert Rear Stabilizer CRA_

HERE'S a copy of my reply to another thread in the Product review Category.

My 2017 Coachman Chaparral30RLS came with the infamous Lippert rear electric stabilizers. They worked (sometimes) during the 1st year (no warranty) as I followed others comments to get a rubber mallet and lightly "whack" the motor to re-seat the rotor pickups (terminology is no doubt wrong). Worked for a whele (on/off) then this year one last hurrah ... then nothing ..... took it apart (YES - 12 volts at the motor - NO JOY). So the motor needs R/R - how much could that be?? ~ 350-400 $ CDN $. Nope that's not going to happen to replace it with another Chinese POC. So GOOGLE is there a aftermarket solution - NOT that I can find.
Soooooooo what to do? Manual crank is a PITA - I guess I could cut the end of crank off ... grind some edges and use a electric drill (hmmm why can I get a quality electric drill (rechargeable for 60 $ - but Lippert wants 350 + $ for a POC Chinese motor?).
X_Medic 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Medic 73 View Post
HERE'S a copy of my reply to another thread in the Product review Category.

My 2017 Coachman Chaparral30RLS came with the infamous Lippert rear electric stabilizers. They worked (sometimes) during the 1st year (no warranty) as I followed others comments to get a rubber mallet and lightly "whack" the motor to re-seat the rotor pickups (terminology is no doubt wrong). Worked for a whele (on/off) then this year one last hurrah ... then nothing ..... took it apart (YES - 12 volts at the motor - NO JOY). So the motor needs R/R - how much could that be?? ~ 350-400 $ CDN $. Nope that's not going to happen to replace it with another Chinese POC. So GOOGLE is there a aftermarket solution - NOT that I can find.
Soooooooo what to do? Manual crank is a PITA - I guess I could cut the end of crank off ... grind some edges and use a electric drill (hmmm why can I get a quality electric drill (rechargeable for 60 $ - but Lippert wants 350 + $ for a POC Chinese motor?).
I had found a replacement motor for $150. That same motor is used in several applications and for some reason the ones sold for the stabilizers aer more money. I don't get it! But I fixed it for free in about an hour.

If the motor was mounted 90 degrees rotated the brushes would be on the sides instead of one at the top and one at the bottom. Then the water that accumulated inside would not pool right on the spring for the brushes.

If you look at the sides of the motor you can find the actual motor manufacturer and buy it on eBay or Amazon for less than what Lippert charges.

We live in S LA so it not only rains a lot but the motor is directly behind the left side tires so they throw spray up onto it when traveling in the rain.

It is also very humid so condensation caused by the motor heating up and cooling could also cause the water problem.

If it happens again I may just get a piece of piano wire, it is stainless spring steel, and bend up a replacement that won't rust.

Tags
electric, stabilizer