Old 08-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #11

Reversing the hot and neutral is no harm no fowl until there's some sort of an internal grounding short in the coach at which point the whole coach could have been hot. If its a direct run from your main box, it shouldn't be difficult to check. Normally white comes from the neutral buss inside the box and black comes from a breaker in the main box to the panel. Where you get in trouble is when they run two runs the same color because it's a lot easier to get the wires reversed and a lot of dumbass residential electricians don't know the difference. Good luck better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't use it again until it's FIXED and then checked, preferably by someone else. Did the building department inspect this outlet, probably not because most of us wouldn't pull a permit for that little modification but then this could be the situation where you wish you had. Good luck

Old 08-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #12

I have an electrician scheduled this week to fix it. I would fix it myself but I want to make sure it is done right.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #13

Oh. And thank you for all of the help and advice!
Old 08-31-2015, 09:31 AM   #14
Site Team

If you are comfortable and experienced using a multi-meter, you can check this to see if the hot and neutral are indeed reversed.....and it's not a faulty reading from your surge protector.

If it's correct, facing the outlet as in the pic: The voltage between the Hot lead at 7 o'clock and W is 120-volt, Hot lead and G is 120-volt, W and G is 0-volt

If it's reversed: The voltage between the Hot lead at 7 o'clock and W is still 120-volt, Hot lead and G is 0-volt, W and G is 120-volt.

If you get over 200 volts anywhere in the two wire combinations, then Houston we have a problem.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #15

I will give it a try before he shows up later in the week. Sounds like something I can handle. Thanks!!