Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #21

Lippert, the manufacturer of the frames under these Roos, offers a bolt-on receiver that won't void your warranty provided it is installed by a 'qualified technician'.
MiCamper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCamper6 View Post
Lippert, the manufacturer of the frames under these Roos, offers a bolt-on receiver that won't void your warranty provided it is installed by a 'qualified technician'.

Would like to see the literature on this please. [emoji6]
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #23

Might I suggest you check their web site, as I had done in the recent past?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #24

That is interesting...Lippert told me that if I bolted, welded or modified my frame in anyway that it "could" void the warranty. Now I say that having a 5'er with a different frame than the OP.
My dealer contacted Lippert (I have a thread somewhere out there about it) about installing a lippert component for bikes and what not by my dealer's master fabricator. Lippert responded with...something along the lines of...It is a case by case basis, IF you have a frame failure then they or you will have to prove what caused the failure. If it is proven that the modification to the frame caused or attributed to the failure than they have cause to deny the claim.
I want to point out that I was never told...that it "would" void my warranty...just basically it will be much more of a pain to prove it out...
I am having my buddy do it A) because I trust me B) because it is much cheaper than the dealer...

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Might I suggest you check their web site, as I had done in the recent past?

I looked, I found zero documentation to support your claims.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
Ok I have said this many many times on different forums that I was a member of when I had different brands of campers. Yes it might void a frame warranty and it might not. Do you want to use your camper or not? Take it to a welding shop or someone that is highly recommended and have a custom hitch cut and welded to the frame with heavy tubing. They will of course have to drop the back underbelly to get to the frame so they can weld heavy tubing across. If you want to use your camper then have one made and enjoy it. But I will add that my trailers were larger 5ers so that could be a deciding factor. The frames on the ones I did it on were heavy frames. And this is just my opinion. I would never want to give anyone advice that would endanger them or anyone else. It has to be your decision. Maybe have someone to inspect your frame to see how heavy it is and if it is strong enough to do the job.
I have a 32 ft Rockwood Ultralite. No way I would weld or attach anything. I mounted a Arvika bike rack to test this. Used a Go Pro and drove around the block, returned home and took it off. I wish I kept the video, it was before I was on this forum.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To the op, I've done it. It didn't end well "first hand experience"

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 04-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I remember asking Lippert at the Goshen rally for solutions for mounting bikes on the back of a Rockwood. Was told nothing they sell would be suitable and any modification would be a warranty violation.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #29

Quote:
To the op, I've done it. It didn't end well "first hand experience"
Thank you for getting this back on track. We started down the bike path and the OP was talking about fire wood and coolers. Neither of which I would even put on the back of my unit.

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 04-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #30
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep my new camper got a sticker inside cabinet door say if you attach anything to rear bumper it will void the warranty. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #31

Quote:
If you check their web site you will see that Lippert offers for sale bolt on receivers, that bolt to the frame. As I recall I emailed the company and was told that installation by a qualified technician would not void the warranty, assuming some dolt doesn't hang the front of an automobile off of it or do something similarly stupid.

That was my experience with Lippert concerning bolting on a receiver in the back of my Roo. I chose to not do it. No need to get snarky. You don't like the information offered in good intentions, disregard it.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
If you check their web site you will see that Lippert offers for sale bolt on receivers, that bolt to the frame. As I recall I emailed the company and was told that installation by a qualified technician would not void the warranty, assuming some dolt doesn't hang the front of an automobile off of it or do something similarly stupid.

That was my experience with Lippert concerning bolting on a receiver in the back of my Roo. I chose to not do it. No need to get snarky. You don't like the information offered in good intentions, disregard it.

I wasn't being snarky, I just wanted to know where you seen the the information you were quoting.
You asked me to look for it myself, I did that and found no documentation to support your claim.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

I wasn't being snarky, I just wanted to know where you seen the the information you were quoting.
You asked me to look for it myself, I did that and found no documentation to support your claim.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #34

I am going to go out on a limb and say that...
TURBS was basically asking/looking for this documentation listed somewhere under Lippert because of it's potential importance. This topic always causes conversation and finally having something written in Lipperts "letterhead" would surely be of value for these types of conversations moving forward. Depending of course on the unit specified.

If I am wrong...I will surely be correct...

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 04-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and say that...

TURBS was basically asking/looking for this documentation listed somewhere under Lippert because of it's potential importance. This topic always causes conversation and finally having something written in Lipperts "letterhead" would surely be of value for these types of conversations moving forward. Depending of course on the unit specified.

If I am wrong...I will surely be correct...

You are correct.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #36

Ok, thank you everyone for your opinions and suggestions. I think I will just have to make room in the bed of my truck for the extra stuff.

I didn't mean to start a argument, I was just seeing if anyone else had done this before and if so what kind of hitch they had used.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter21n View Post
Ok, thank you everyone for your opinions and suggestions. I think I will just have to make room in the bed of my truck for the extra stuff.

I didn't mean to start a argument, I was just seeing if anyone else had done this before and if so what kind of hitch they had used.

Unfortunately you brought up a highly debated topic.
Not your fault.
Of course a simple search on this site would have shown how many times this has been asked.
Put bikes in bed [emoji106] good choice.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #38

I took it straight to a welder that specializes in trailers. I have an A frame and he did a spectacular job. I put a 147 lb generator on with the gas tank full and an extra 5 gallons of gas beside it. Drove to Key West & back to Delaware with no problem in handling, driving or the load moving
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy334 View Post
I took it straight to a welder that specializes in trailers. I have an A frame and he did a spectacular job. I put a 147 lb generator on with the gas tank full and an extra 5 gallons of gas beside it. Drove to Key West & back to Delaware with no problem in handling, driving or the load moving
Which Welder/fFabricator did you use? Once my warranty is done I was thinking of putting my generator on the back
Old 04-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #40

I don't believe in things that can't be done. This is real world experience.
I started with a bumperless 2013 Keystone Passport on an LCI "lightweight" frame.
2 sections of 3-1/2 X 3-1/2 X 5/16 angle and a 4X4 standard tube bumper from RV factory surplus.

No warranty voided, no catastrophe created. Hauling 2 full coolers for 3 seasons proves it can be done without the world coming to an end.

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, hitch