Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Recommendations

We just put ours away for the winter and the DW is starting to plan a 2 week trip for next summer. We are looking for any recommendations anyone may have for family things to do in the area of of the Northeastern US.

We don't want to travel more then 15 hrs from home which limits us to about VA Beach area as the furthest south (maybe mytle beach).

Have 2 kids, 9 and 2 (girls)...any recommendations would be awesome.

Any good sites and cg recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Nights camped 2013: 17
Shado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #2

With 2 weeks anywhere in the NE, that leaves you a lot of options. A couple quick thoughts:

If you like the beach and you want to go that far, the Outer Banks of North Carolina are great. We really like the KOA there. We're trying to decide between there and Maine - one next summer, one the following summer.

Also, coming from Ottawa, if you want to take a more scenic route, check out the Adirondack Mountains in northern NY. That's our favorite place to go. Depending on your route, you can check out Lake Placid (recommend the KOA), Lake George (several spots to choose from, more of "touristy" area, or Old Forge in the southern part of the ADK's. We go a couple times a year to the Old Forge Camping Resort. There is a nice waterpark next door for the kids, and tons of other activities in the area.

I don't about anybody else, but I like to pass the winter months by spending some time reasearcing and planning the next big trip - have to have something camping related to do until the white stuff melts...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Thanks. We are thinking of hitting Lake Placid in July. Heard the KOA there is pretty good. Figure we can do it on Independance Day weekend seeing as our yougest was born July 4th..

We rented a beach house in VA Beach this past summer but now that we have the Roo it's a great excuse to not go on vacation with my MIL
Nights camped 2013: 17
Shado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shado View Post

We rented a beach house in VA Beach this past summer but now that we have the Roo it's a great excuse to not go on vacation with my MIL
I had the opposite problem - traded the popup for the Roo, and next thing I know the MIL decides to go camping with us! Said it was "like a house."

But we all survived - and had a good time as well.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Always Learning

My family loves the southern Jersey Shore - Sea Isle City, Avalon, Cape May, NJ are all nice areas. We've camped next to quite a few Canadians. (Funny story to that- my daughter was 4 or so and couldn't understand why the little girl she was trying to play with wouldn't talk to her. Turns out the family from was Quebec and she only spoke French.)

Otherwise, there are great things to do in Central, Pennsylvania which is just a few hours away and could be hit on the way there or back - Strasburg Railroad; Hershey Park, even some of the historical sites (that may not mean anything to you) like Gettsyburg, PA, etc.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #6

Several years ago we made a trip up to Acadia National Park in Maine. It was a great trip. Gorgeous scenery and plenty to do. This would be around 9 hours or so from you. We stayed in one of the private campgrounds because the national park campgrounds don't have showers.

For a couple of years we went to the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia. This is probably 12 hours from Ottawa. We stayed in the Lake Sherwood campground. There are no hookups, but there are nice bathhouses in each loop. There's not a lot of "stuff" to do near this campground, but is VERY relaxing. There is a beach on the lake. You can rent canoes and paddle boats or go fishing. There's no cell coverage at all. There's a bunch of other campgrounds in the NF, some are closer to more touristy stuff than others.

This year we went to Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky. It was also a great trip. Gorgeous scenery and plenty to do. This is pushing it at 14-15 hours. We stayed in the park campground. They don't have hookups, but there are pay showers at the entrance to the campground.

Obviously most of our camping vacations tend to center around outdoorsy things.

Hope this helps some.
fritz_monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #7

even some of the historical sites (that may not mean anything to you) like Gettsyburg, PA, etc.[/QUOTE] Gettysburg is a great little town to spend a few days. I'm going there this weekend. You can't make up stoties that are this good. I also like the Shenandoah valley in Virginia, and the D.C. area.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote