Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #1

Recommended generator and solar 12v

Hi all,

I have a '00 Roo 18, and I would like to power the A/C. I don't have microwave or TV. Only other thing I think would consume power is the battery converter/charger and the fridge while in AUTO mode. What is a good choice for a portable generator that can handle that power demand?

Also I would like to see what others have done for a solar charger for their battery. I am planning on having this sit out at deer camp during the season and need to have the battery charge without the need for any shore power (there are no utilities avail at camp).

Thanks JR
monkihead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Team

the minimum generator to run that old of an a/c, would be the Yamaha 2400w.
but, if it's only going to be in a deer camp and you won't be using it in a campground, the best bang for your buck, is the Champion 3500w open-frame generator.
it can be bought for under $300 and will easily run the a/c.

BUT, it's much louder than an inverter generator, like the Yamaha.
but if you don't have neighbors nearby, then go for the Champion. great company with great customer support.

don't know much about solar, since we camp in wooded areas and a smaller portable solar system only provides a trickle charge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #3

Thanks Bilkendan, I just ordered the Champion from Amazon. Not bad price of $912 to the door. I am also going to install an enhanced starting capacitor on the AC, which should help the generator from being overburdened during cycling in while generator is in eco mode.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkihead View Post
Thanks Bilkendan, I just ordered the Champion from Amazon. Not bad price of $912 to the door. I am also going to install an enhanced starting capacitor on the AC, which should help the generator from being overburdened during cycling in while generator is in eco mode.
Wait. bikendan says you can get it for $300 and you paid $912???
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Wait. bikendan says you can get it for $300 and you paid $912???
Must be a typo if he bought the typical 3500 or 4000 watt open frame Champion.

Unless he was referring to the Champion 3100 watt inverter generator.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

Champion Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Must be a typo if he bought the typical 3500 or 4000 watt open frame Champion.

Unless he was referring to the Champion 3100 watt inverter generator.

I'm thinking he meant this one I spotted on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment No.75531i Inverter Generator, 3100-watt: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Juan
Old 06-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Site Team

i PM'd him about the new Champion 3100w and that it would be the one i would buy if i was in the market for a new one.
i still debate whether to sell my Honda 2000w and get one.
if we needed the a/c, i would've done it already, but we rarely need the a/c.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #8

I just bought a 3500/4000 Champion at camping world with I free cover and free wheel set for $239. They were on sale for 269 and we got another 30 bucks of for being members. So I hope you didn't pay over 900 for the same genny.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Site Team

no, he bought the Champion 3100w, which is an inverter generator. the 3500 is an non-inverter open-framed generator that's 10db louder than this new Champion, which is a HUGE difference in noise level.

as i've always said, the much cheaper Champion 3500 is a great product that's perfect for boondocking, motor races and home emergency power.
BUT it is NOT appropriate for a campground where you'll have neighbors.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #10

Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i PM'd him about the new Champion 3100w and that it would be the one i would buy if i was in the market for a new one.
i still debate whether to sell my Honda 2000w and get one.
if we needed the a/c, i would've done it already, but we rarely need the a/c.

I just got my Champion 3100 Inverter generator. Followed the instructions and connected it to my 2000 Roo. The AC is 13 years old with all original components. Fired up the gen and set the A/C to max with fridge turned on and the coach battery charger at max out. The generator didn't flinch.

Two flaws with the gen. The panel to access oil check needs a screw driver. I'm changing it to butterfly bolts. And the wheel clearance to the body is tight and quickly gets debris bound up ultimately locking up the wheels on wet grassy areas.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #11

This might be a response to a thread that is a little old but just thought I'd share a little info.

I have been looking at generator for a while and just decided on the Champion 3100 inverter at Camping World. Its on sale for 899 and a little know fact is that Canadian Good Sams Club members can get a 10% discount on top of that. There is a coupon on at www.goodsamclub.com/canada that can be printed and is good for a 10% discount on anything. The discount is only at some Camping World store but luckily I live close to the one in Belleville Michigan.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #12

I was curious to understand the difference between an Inverter Generator and a Conventional one. The link below explains it nicely.

https://www.handymanclub.com/project...rter-generator

My understanding: The Inverter Gen is actually a DC generator which runs just fast enough to provide DC power required for the current load. The DC power is then converter to AC 120 VAC by an electronic inverter. That allows the Inverter Generator to run more slowly (quietly) and, apparently, more efficiently. A very nice concept and I'm sure it is appreciated at the campsite.

Bill
Fulltime Cedar Creek
when we can sell the house.
bspickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #13

I have had good success so far with the Hyundai HY2000Si running our 08 13.5k BTU A/C, everyone says it wont but in our case it does. We have about 6 hours run time on it so far, 2 three hour runs.

Your mileage may vary, I was not ready to pay half the cost of out PUP in a generator or buy 2 smaller ones or a big one.
08 Outback 21RS
Talonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #14

recommended generator and soler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engauge View Post
This might be a response to a thread that is a little old but just thought I'd share a little info.

I have been looking at generator for a while and just decided on the Champion 3100 inverter at Camping World. Its on sale for 899 and a little know fact is that Canadian Good Sams Club members can get a 10% discount on top of that. There is a coupon on at www.goodsamclub.com/canada that can be printed and is good for a 10% discount on anything. The discount is only at some Camping World store but luckily I live close to the one in Belleville Michigan.

Thanks for the heads up on the deal. It's a bit late for me, I just got mine from Amazon, to the door for $912.00 It is close to your deal, and so far I am satisfied with its performance and ability to hold the load of the full trailer while also running a 13 year old A/C in the Florida sun.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Denver, CO

What about a smaller portable AC for use in the bedroom, for sleeping, and still using the Honda 2000i. I really don't want another 2000 as I already have one and don't really spend much time in the camper during the day.

Frigidaire has a 5000 btu portable that I think may work, I know the honda 2000 will run it fine.

Just thinking.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
What about a smaller portable AC for use in the bedroom, for sleeping, and still using the Honda 2000i. I really don't want another 2000 as I already have one and don't really spend much time in the camper during the day.

Frigidaire has a 5000 btu portable that I think may work, I know the honda 2000 will run it fine.

Just thinking.

It'll probably should handle it. But there are things you need to consider. Your 5k btu AC will likely draw roughly 5 amps while running normally. Your wattage consumption should be around 575watts determined by 5amps x 115volts (applying Ohm's law). But running power is not what typically trips the inverter, it's the start up amp draw of the AC. The older or larger the AC the bigger the draw. A portable AC like you described can spike (albeit for a moment) 17amps. Your inverter should be able to barely handle that, but that is only if everything is optimum and the inverter not running in Eco mode. Since you can't account for all the variables, I had to resort, in my set up, to simple test by just setting it all up and testing. Sometimes on paper things will work or rather the math works, but in dynamic application you may get unpleasantly surprised.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #17

Quote:
It'll probably should handle it. But there are things you need to consider. Your 5k btu AC will likely draw roughly 5 amps while running normally. Your wattage consumption should be around 575watts determined by 5amps x 115volts (applying Ohm's law). But running power is not what typically trips the inverter, it's the start up amp draw of the AC. The older or larger the AC the bigger the draw. A portable AC like you described can spike (albeit for a moment) 17amps. Your inverter should be able to barely handle that, but that is only if everything is optimum and the inverter not running in Eco mode. Since you can't account for all the variables, I had to resort, in my set up, to simple test by just setting it all up and testing. Sometimes on paper things will work or rather the math works, but in dynamic application you may get unpleasantly surprised.
The story of my life.
08 Outback 21RS
Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #18

Generator and solar

Talonman, I just hate to see you drop money on a 2,000 watt generator that will not be able to handle your load. If you can find a friend with a similar generator, I would ask them to try it out and see how much that window shaker unit will draw.

Juan
Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Talonman, I just hate to see you drop money on a 2,000 watt generator that will not be able to handle your load. If you can find a friend with a similar generator, I would ask them to try it out and see how much that window shaker unit will draw.

Juan
Mine works fine, the Hyundai starts the A/C everytime and I'm happy with it.

I was just commenting on the on the "on paper" thing after a big project here at work that went sideways on me, I have an issue with the power curve on a Kohler diesel I am working with, on paper this thing should work awesome, not so much.
08 Outback 21RS
Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Denver, CO

I have a 5K frigidaire window unit for my sailboat that runs with the Honda fine. the portable has the same spec as far as the current draw and has the same compressor, I think. So that should be okay. If I run it in the bedroom only the 5K should be enough cooling to make things comfortable when we are drydocked at Walmart and traveling.

I have another project trying to make a super quiet generator enclosure which is the subject of a future thread.

woohoo