Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Wally Roo

Refrigerator has one setting - Freezing (Solved)

Our used 2009 Roo 21SS has the Dometic DM2652 abosrbtion refrigerator. The only indication of a temperature control is a plastic clip that slides up and down one of the cooling fins in the main compartment with a decal on the side of the unit that suggests temperature control. As an engineer, this makes no sense.

Everything except on the bottom most shelf is frozen solid.

Any other adjustment available in the control unit?

Rocky Mountain National Park
phygenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #2

Hi Phy, i'm out of Thornton, CO. Good to see someone so close on the forums!

I have the same fridge and yeah, that lil plastic clip holding the sensor makes no sense to me either. It says to make things colder to slide it up, which to me would just expose the sensor wire more. How would exposing the sensor make the fridge colder, or vice versa, covering the sensor wire up, make the temp go down?

Your fridge being too cold is a new one for me. I'm use to reading that the fridge doesn't keep things consistantly cold, therefore using a small battery operated fan or switch controlled fan off of the fridge light power will help keep a more consistant temp. Others will correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #3

The sensor bulb is not supposed to move inside the plastic thing, it's supposed to move WITH the plastic thing. When you slide the plastic thing up and down, you raise and lower the sensor. Last time I started up my fridge it wouldn't get cold. The sensor had fallen out of the plastic thing and was laying on the shelf below. (It's not a very tight fit, unfortunately.) Based on that experience, I would have thought you'd have trouble keeping it cold, not with freezing. Anyway, move the sensor up and down and see what that does.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phygenius View Post
Our used 2009 Roo 21SS has the Dometic DM2652 abosrbtion refrigerator. The only indication of a temperature control is a plastic clip that slides up and down one of the cooling fins in the main compartment with a decal on the side of the unit that suggests temperature control. As an engineer, this makes no sense.

Everything except on the bottom most shelf is frozen solid.

Any other adjustment available in the control unit?
The wire inside the slide is a thermistor, it reads skin temp of the fin and electronically controls the reefer thermostat system. If assembled correctly and in the right position it works. It been around for many years and for some reason Dometic doesn't inform the user very well how it works. You should position yours maybe a inch down and see how it does. Suggest a thermometer in the box when adjusting. Other wise something wrong in the control board keeps dirving the heat with no control.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #5

We have a similar if bot the same fridge. I have found, oddly, that the slider has the opposite effect of what is indicated. When I have the slider all the way towards "warm", my thermometer drops!
Hybrid: 2013 Rockwood Roo 21SS
2010 Nights (popup): 31 2011 Nights (popup): 27
2012 Nights camped: 14 (popup) + 9 (Roo)
mbvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

I have the same fridge to. My thermistor was to far down inside of the clip. I moved the thermister up near the top of the clip, and the fridge works perfect now.Cold is cold and warm is warm.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #7

Thermister might also be bad
Old 10-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Anacortesians

Why they don't allow a settable temperature control boggles the mind. It's the same with the water heater. "We know best what you need, my boy, so there's no need for an adjustment". What a load of cod's wallop.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #9

"Why they don't allow a settable temperature control boggles the mind."

Why? That's easy - saves money!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #10

I've found the only way to keep my fridge at about 38 to 40 degrees is to lay the sensor on the shelf and forget about the plastic slide. I got tired of messing with it trying to make it work right and constantly having to check to see if it moved.