Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

Refrigerator question

Hi to Ya'll, I have a question about our new Roo 233s. I connected the refrig. up to shore power yesterday and had ice in freezer in 4 hours, which was great. The refrig. seems to be working fine also. I read manual and refrig. stickers inside about (auto button etc., to AC or Propane). Question is I understand from reading on here that when you hook up to TV it switches (auto) to 12 volt from TV. I just can't find it in writing in manual etc. and don't want to loose a lot of frozen and refrig. product on way to camp ground. six to seven hour trip to Mts. I know to use on propane that the tank must be turned on. You guys have so much info that most times I do not have to even ask. Thanks in advance and hope all who are waiting on new rigs and those who are really wanting to jump in the best of luck and safe and happy camping this season.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Retired and ready for Mtns.
Mr.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Your fridge probably does not have a 12 volt function....that type of fridge is usually restricted to tent campers. Now that being said, your fridge does require 12 volts to operate the circuit board.

If your fridge is on automatic, once you unplug your shore power, the fridge will automatically switch to propane...as long as your tank valves are open. That is usually the only option that you have going down the road.

Now if you have a true 3 way fridge (12 volt, 120 volt, and propane), please disregard my above statements.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Miles,

You definitely have a two-way fridge.

To allow the fridge to choose between AC or Gas:

• On/Off button is depressed to "on"
  • Gas button needs to be pushed in.
  • The "auto" light will light up and it will choose AC first and then gas if AC is unavailable.

If you wanted gas only and not AC:

• On/off button is depressed to "on"
  • Gas button needs to be out.
  • The "auto" light will not light up.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

One addition.

When you switch to propane you need to keep an eye on the "check light" for a while.

If the fridge is already cold, the fridge will not fire the propane until the temperature starts to drop; THEN it will call for heat to the evaporator.

When it does; the check light will come on until the burner lights; and then it will go out.

IF the burner does not light for some reason; like no propane.
The check light will remain ON. This will be bad for your frozen food.

Best to make sure the furnace will light first! The furnace is the "gorilla in the room" when it comes to propane use. If IT works on propane so will everything else including the fridge. If it won't light or the stove top burners are low, you need to reset the flow limiters in your propane bottles. Turn off all propane appliances (including the fridge); turn the propane tank valves off; wait 1 minutes and CRACK them VERY slowly to pressurize the lines. Light one stove top burner to flush the air out of the lines. Light them all and make sure they stay lit and on high.

Fire up the furnace and make sure it lights. Then you can switch the fridge to propane and it should light just fine when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 033.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	13407  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Thanks Ya'll

I sure thought it was a 3 way refrig. glad I got on here and ask. I have ran the furnace on way back from Ohio and have checked out the stove top and they work fine. When I got it home, I did not have it leveled from side to side so I did not try frig. out. Yesterday I leveled camper side to side and front to back. Had read that frig. needed to be level for running is reason I had not tried it. I will open propane, shut shore power and try after while. Thanks again for the help everyone. I sent a thanks but evidently it only went Herk. Am learning slowly !
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Retired and ready for Mtns.
Mr.W is offline   Reply With Quote