Old 10-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #11
Thanks everyone, I'll check out the link posted and do some informational reading.

Fordguy5507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:11 AM   #12
No regrets but with so many options I do often wonder what if I bought this one instead..... lol

Purdyquibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #13
Canadian Member
I agree with Cowracer. If you are comfortable with a Popup (tent ends and having to occasionally put it away in the rain) but are looking for more conveniences then you'll be happy with a hybrid like the Roo or Shamrock. Hybrids offer maximum floor space for their size which is probably the #1 reason people look at them. IMO, the Roo/Shamrock line is superior in quality to just about every other hybrid out there but all hybrids have the additional risk of leaks that comes from those large openings in the walls for the beds. As long as the bunk door seals work well you should be very happy with the quality of a Roo or Shamrock.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #14
I both agree and disagree with tight association with pop-up campers. I have had a popup, a toy hauler and my current roo. I find the roo much closer to my toy hauler in comfort and convenience than I do the popup. Yes, you do need to be comfortable hearing outside noise and sleeping under canvas. I would say 75% of the time that is more positive than negative...but there are times it is not ideal. Outside of that similarity I find the setup/takedown, comfort, conveniences and luxury right on par with my hard side camper and light years ahead of a pop-up.

Until I have a vehicle that can tow a 5th wheel I cannot envision a scenario where I would switch to a conventional travel trailer. I have so much extra room and versatility in a much easier tow. Just be sure to spend time in the bunks in a showroom with a lot of people around so you can be sure you are comfortable with the noise transfer.

Not an ounce of regret here, and I have been on a dozen trips and over 40 nights.
RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #15
Only regret is that I didn't buy one sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #16
No regrets regarding the camper.

I advise you to have more tow vehicle than you need. Excess towing capacity and payload rating allow stress-free vacationing and confidence in mountains.

We ordered new and ordered everything we ever though we could use over the next 10 years. Buy new, and order to your specs instead of buying a dealer stock model or show special model that hundreds or thousands of people have traipsed through.

My only regret, not directly related to the Roo itself, is not building an adequate RV garage on my own property before purchase. I keep the Roo in my driveway during the season and pay for a storage building during the winter.
2014 F150 SCrew 4x4 Max Tow Heavy Duty Payload 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5' bed Ingot Metallic Silver
2015 Rockwood Roo 21SS
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
Only owned ours for 8 months and we love it. We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee as a tow vehicle so length and weight was a BIG concern for us. The Roo 19 gave us just about everything we could want.
1. Stress free planning and packing.
2. Easy towing up AZ mountains
3. 20 min setup once at the camping destination
4. AC for desert camping
5. A comfortable bed for my fat butt after a long day of gaming, fishing and beer drinking!

So far I've loved it. I am already starting to wonder though...can I trade it in for a 21DK. Don't tell my wife, she will kill me!
2011 Forest River Roo 19
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee HEMI V8 w/tow package
Nights Camped this year: 20

chuckythe2651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
The DK is awesome! Everything is so well thought out and it really maximizes every inch of space. I can't believe the kitchen and bathroom space in such a small unit. I love the thing. Sorry...probably not helping, lol.
RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #19
We are on our second FR hybrid (first was the 183 in 2008) and can't envision having anything else. Most of our camping is in state parks and most of the time without electric. Can't run a generator at night to power A/C so those open bunk ends are really appreciated on a warm night and you get to look at the stars.
The parks we visit were built around tent camping (which is our background). We are able to maneuver our 24' closed hybrid onto a lot of tricky access sites that would be impossible (at least for me) with a longer HTT.
RooVader is right about external noise coming through the canvas so this would not have been a good choice for us if we frequented campgrounds where your neighbors are close.
2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
No regrets...we were previous popup owners. There are no other trailer solutions that offer 3 big beds and can sleep 9...that can be towed with a 1/2 ton TV.

Roocrew1 MI
2012 233S
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote