So what happened? Well, I'll tell ya. Better grab a beer while I describe what all went on.
Ya, I cut the fabric back and let it dry in the sun while we camped for two days. Well, closer to a day and a half of sun. Got a roll of 4" Durabond tape and after sticking the fabric back in place with a rubber cement product, sealed the edges. Oh yes, I followed the instructions for cleaning and rolling the tape. Not exactly a difficult task, though a little tiring. Everything was fine for the rest of the summer.
In October I decided it was time to winterize the trailer and went into get all the items that could freeze from the pantry and noticed a large water stain on the floor, right below the antenna crank. Water stains on the crank and edge of the opening. Took the crank cover off and it was still wet inside. Either my repair didn't hold, or there was a lot more water in the roof than I thought would be.
I contacted Forest River and found out that a replaced roof fabric would cost about 3 grand and the whole structure would go as high as $4,300. They also wanted to charge me $750 to come get it. Not sure if they meant round trip or one way. I knew I could drive the one way 180 miles (twice) cheaper so I opted to deliver it myself. After getting a delivery appointment I drove down there. Nice drive but by all means, avoid the toll road in and around Chicago. And make sure your iPass transponder is in the truck if you do decide to run the toll roads.
I delivered it to a gentleman named Floyd who looked around at it and I mentioned that the front bunk looked like it had some delamination near the bottom. Of course that would be added to the $4,300 (because Floyd said they don't just replace the fabric). During his inspection he pulled part of the ceiling down and water still dripped out. That whole roof was soaked. He then pointed out that the curbside wall was delaminating and that water had been seeping out of the wall into the countertop. Floyd said that to replace that wall (can't really just repair it) would be about $4,000. Since the roof would be off, labor would be less and they would do it for an extra $2,000. The Roof, front bunk and wall... OMG. I said, "It's gotta get fixed".
About 10 days later Floyd calls and says that the back wall and bunk need replacing too. Another $1,000 - $1,500. I told him I was all in with the other repairs and couldn't justify spending any more on it. I was a little busy when he called so the call and my response was kind of short and curt. When I was a little less preoccupied, I called him back to find out all my options. He said that sometimes the factory will throw in some work as a goodwill gesture and since he "was" the factory, they would include the new back wall and bunk at no charge. Way cool.
I picked it up 4 days later and Floyd said the also replaced the bunk seal on the driver's side bunk with a new type. All in all it was a tad under $6,500 for a new roof, curbside wall, rear wall, rear bunk, front bunk driver's side bunk seal. Guess I'll need to hold onto it a while longer and if there is ever any other roof issue, the first call is to the insurance. Had I called them first and not tried to repair the roof myself, they might have covered most of the cost.
Lesson learned... the hard way.
Frank and Jean
DAV Life Member
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.