Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Replaced Seals, Still Getting Wet. WTF!?

I replaced the seals around my bunk end doors on Friday and the unit endured bout of good, heavy rain Saturday through Sunday. When I replaced the seals, I drew a line around the inside frame with a dry erase marker in order to track whether or not any water might be leaking in. I am happy to report that the updated seals held and that no water leaked in between the bunk doors and the frame.

The inside of my doors are newly wet, so what the heck? Further, it isn't that the whole thing is wet, it's wet at the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the door and the visible water line peaks at the middle of the door. This suggests to me that it's wetter in the middle, of course, and the pattern is the same on both the front and back doors.

So, near as I can tell, there would be 3 or 4 ways water is still getting in:

Seams around the Frame - I caulked those last year, though, so it doesn't seem likely. I re-checked them again yesterday and they seem sound.

Canvas Snaps: Maybe water is leaking in around the snaps at the top of the door? They don't seem loose, though, and it definately seems like there is a lot more moisture than could be let in by such small gaps. Also, I would expect more signs of moisture at the top of the doors, but they seem completely dry and sound; untouched by water in any significant volumes.

Cracks in the Skin: Maybe they're there and I just don't see them.

At the Hinges: This is what makes the most sense to me. Water runs down the door and water tenson takes it around the hinges, up and under the door and soaks it from the bottom up. This would account for the location of the wetness as well as the pattern of peak wetness in the middle of the door.

Anyone have any thoughts?

skylinedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
I don't know anything about your camper but -Caulk can be the silent killer of most RV's. Caulk doesn't stick because of the flexibility of campers and temp extremes.So while you think it's still holding it may not be. The RV putty that comes on a roll or Dicor.

jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Normally, I would wholly agree with you, but the caulk I used is specifically for camper sides which is suppossed to be UV resistant as well as remain somewhat tacky and flexible for at least several seasons. Moreover, it hasn't moved since I caulked it, so vibration isn't really a factor here.

I am going to test my hinge theory by strategic duckt taping before the next rain. If I am correct, it should remain bone dry.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Don't forget the large screws that hold the latches on. Mine showed signs of water following the threads into the door so caulk the heck out of them. I took mine out and coated the threads then reinstalled.
pixleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
It could be the hinge area, but also check the corners where the sides of the bunk frame meet the bottom piece of the frame. The hinge is screwed through this bottom frame piece. On my 2008 23ss the bunk frame that is on the front camper will hold water. The bottom of my bunk door sits in this water until it evaporates. There was a small gap on the corners of the bottom bunk frame and water could get in through this area.
Mizzou660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Thanks. This weekend I'll be closely examining the hinge area. If I remember to do so, I'll take some pictures.