Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #1

Ripped awning off side of Roo

I am not new to trailers or new to backing trailers but everyone has accidents. I did my first boo boo by ripping the dometic manual awning off my trailer today. Bent both poles, ripped the screws out of the side of the trailer but no real structural damage to the body of the Roo. My heart sank. I have juniper bushes and I trimmed them back about 2 feet so I had more room along my driveway which is approximately 100' long. I moved the Roo with my Land Cruiser so I could load up the brush with the utility trailer already attached to my Tundra. When it came time to put the trailer back I could not see out of my passenger mirror until I heard a crunch. No damage to the corner of the roof of my garage, I was inches from doing serious damage to the body of the roo, and bent the poles all to heck. I feel pretty fortunate it was only the awning poles.

Currently looking at replacement and repair options. I will likely buy and install myself. I was embarrassed and mad at myself. I am not sure if this will be worth pursuing with insurance. I should have snapped some pictures of the damage before I pulled it off the trailer but I was a little to hot. To top it off, I broke a crank shaft pin in my old John Deere tractor, burnt up a hedge trimmer motor, and now messed up my awning on my brand new trailer... Feeling like I suck at life this week and really just want to go camping now...

I will take pictures of the awning poles tomorrow afternoon.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #2

Also, when removing the roller tube, it unsprung, not sure if I can just get parts and piece it all together or not. I may just put a power awning on, but I do like how stout the manual awning felt. I need a drink.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

We all have weeks like that. When it rains, it pours. I've been in the same boat where everything I touched broke, and I'd just stay away from everything and tell my wife I wasn't touching anything until the storm, or curse passed. You'll get it fixed, and laugh about it later. I've got a books worth of mishaps and stories. Look at it as a chance to fix and upgrade.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #4

Thanks BigJohnD. Trying to figure out how to remount my hardware and what to do about the holes from the bolts from the original awning position. One of my windows contacted the awning bracket when opening so I want to move the awning forward about an inch and I will just deal with the wholes. I have to admit, I was admiring how much extra room I had next to the junipers in my mirror when backing and I just could not see the right side of the trailer as the Land Cruiser has much smaller mirrors. I am done touching ANYTHING for at least a couple days!

Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #5

Sorry to hear that. I remember reading on here when you went and picked up your camper (Michigan Dealer??). Thats really too bad. The good news is that you now have a reminder and lesson you'll never forget. I got one of those with my last setup. I owned a Coleman Yukon popup. I was a year or two in to owning it and drove it out of my single stall garage and the door flopped down (I got lazy and didnt latch it). It slammed into the side of the garage and I nearly ripped it off. Bent it all into a pretzel. I was livid. I called the dealer and wanted a new door on that thing ASAP so I could get it back into perfect condition and forget about my mistake. I was told that Coleman only made that model for one year and changed the size of the doors for that model only. Being six years old those doors were no longer available. They could hammer dents, bend out the warp and try to make it work (which they did). But it would never be new unless I stripped one off of another camper. They were rare. I did see two others over the years and took pictures of them both! Their doors were in perfect shape btw.

Hope the heat cools for you. What a mess! Keep posting updates. You are brave to put it all here. Dont stay away from the camper for too long either. Gotta get that confidence back so you're ready to get back out camping!

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #6

I do not mind sharing my mistakes. Hopefully it will serve as a reminder to others. There really is not any cosmetic damage to the trailer, other than the holes from the original awning pole location. I am thinking I will be able to replace the hardware and arms as long as the roller tube does not have a WOW in it. I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:48 AM   #7

Your willingness to share mistakes is very valuable to this community.

Thankyou! (and you have my codolence)

mandl
mandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #8

I hate days like that. Every thing you touch turns brown and stinks!
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #9

I had my Work and Play in my back yard all winter, where I could work on it (weather permitting). First time pulling it out was last Monday afternoon. I had to move my son home from college for the summer and was using that as an excuse to take the W&P out for the first time.

WELLLLLL, after declining an offer of help getting it out of the yard, I proceeded to clip the corner of my shop's roof eave, with the 5ver. I was watching the corner of the shop in my mirror, but forgot to take into account the overhang of the eaves.

I stopped at the first sound of CRUNCH!, but the damage was done. The gutters on my place are less than (1) year old, seamless color matched etc.etc. The fiver just got some scratches that will wheel out.

I called the guy who did my gutters, $150.00, to replace that 40ft section. As others have said, rub some dirt in it and walk it off.

My wife began to make one little hint of a comment, I told her;
"Yeah, this just isn't worth it, I think I'm gonna sell all this stuff and take up a new hobby."
"What hobby would take be?" she asked.
"Sitting on my ass, watching TV and drinking Jack and Coke! Nothing will get damaged then!"

Oddly enough, the conversation ended there?
036.6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
Incheon, S. Korea

I like BigJohnD's note, "...and upgrade." Now you have an excuse!
Tree branches can do wonders, too. (rear roof corner on a 32' rental class C)

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlygibbs View Post
I am not new to trailers or new to backing trailers but everyone has accidents. I did my first boo boo by ripping the dometic manual awning off my trailer today. Bent both poles, ripped the screws out of the side of the trailer but no real structural damage to the body of the Roo. My heart sank. I have juniper bushes and I trimmed them back about 2 feet so I had more room along my driveway which is approximately 100' long. I moved the Roo with my Land Cruiser so I could load up the brush with the utility trailer already attached to my Tundra. When it came time to put the trailer back I could not see out of my passenger mirror until I heard a crunch. No damage to the corner of the roof of my garage, I was inches from doing serious damage to the body of the roo, and bent the poles all to heck. I feel pretty fortunate it was only the awning poles.

Currently looking at replacement and repair options. I will likely buy and install myself. I was embarrassed and mad at myself. I am not sure if this will be worth pursuing with insurance. I should have snapped some pictures of the damage before I pulled it off the trailer but I was a little to hot. To top it off, I broke a crank shaft pin in my old John Deere tractor, burnt up a hedge trimmer motor, and now messed up my awning on my brand new trailer... Feeling like I suck at life this week and really just want to go camping now...

I will take pictures of the awning poles tomorrow afternoon.
Same here. Woke up one morning and got everything buttoned up, but forgot to look up to notice the awning was extended. The awning found a light pole and mangled it up. Had to get it removed there on the spot so that we could continue our trip. Funny things is that it didn't even leave a scratch on the coach. Coach is currently at the dealer to have it replaced.

We are not new at this either. Poop Happens! The difference with this awning and others is that this one sits so high that you don't even notice it. Once they install a new one, I'm going to get one off those shades that rolls up with the awning so that it's noticeable.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #12

I've posted here previously that I backed in to my Roo (front bed down while camping) with my truck damaging the front bed of the Roo and the tailgate of the truck. I was backing the truck up just to provide some walk around room.

I was livid - 100% my wife's fault .

That's'a not true, but I laugh about it now....sometimes.

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #13

Thanks for everyone's support! Looks like I can get the hardware and arms for around 338, but will still shop around.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399830053.679802.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	52156Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399830164.065049.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	52157Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399830199.860263.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	52158Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399830260.637672.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	52159Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399830311.919063.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	52160

Here is the damage to the awning.. Not sure I I can bend the rod of the roller tube back into place or if I should just replace the whole darn thing.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #15

Contacted Dometic directly. Seems I have the Tall, standard duty hardware (arms and tentioner). I will be upgrading the the heavy duty, jus not sure if I want to try to bed that for back I to place or replace the whole dang thin with a 9000. Thoughts, suggestions welcome.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:56 AM   #16

While I am always inclined to be frugal, I have usually regretted trying to making temporary repairs and not replacing all bent or damaged parts on any piece of equipment. Camping time is vacation time. Time and annoyance spent deploying or retracting an awning that may still be "reluctant" or sticking from being rebent into shape is time better spent enjoying yourself.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #17

That is kind of what I am thinking. Sorry for my poor spelling above. My fingers go to fast when on my phone.

I can get an 18' 9000 with heavy duty arms and hardware for about 1,200 where the heavy duty arms and hardware alone are around 400-500.

Can anyone send me some pictures of a 9000? Specifically rolled up inside the metal weather shield.

Another request, does anyone have pictures of a unit with heavy duty hardware?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #18

My tail is still tucked, my insurance told me it would show as an auto collision and make my rates go through the roof since I am an at risk driver... They told me I have a previous accident, that accident occurred in 2011, I was driving a fire engine and someone side swiped me and I could not stop in time before doing significant damage to the persons vehicle. Luckily no one was hurt but guys car was totaled. For his mistake I am "at risk." I am gonna pay out of pocket on this one. Going to order the Dometic 9000 manual awning with HD hardware.

Does anyone have pictures of a 9000 manual awning. The pictures online are too generic. I would like to see pictures of the metal weather shield.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #19
Site Team

how did your insurance come into play, if you were driving a fire engine?

for my agency, the state covers us with no need for our personal auto insurance to be involved.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #20

It went on my driving record as a no fault accident. The agency had me covered and the union rep was great. But it still went on my driving record.

Tags
awning, roo