Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #1

Rockwood Roo 17 2009 Delamination Issue

We have very mild delam in our doors, more so in the front and the rear. We have never had water leak to the inside of the camper what so ever since we have owned it. I have contacted Gregg Rollins from Forest River and we have begun a discussion on how this should be handled. Because I am a second owner I am not sure where this will go, but I hope that Forest River chooses to stand behind a product. In no way should a 3 year old camper should have delamination when it has been maintained, caulked, sealed, and also checked and double check to have the fabric kept away from the seals.

I will put some pictures of the delamination and will also let you know how our interactions with Gregg from Forest River go.
depo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #2

Please let us know how you make out
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #3

So far surprised at Gregg's reaction. I explained that I was the second owner of a 2009 Roo and that had delamination on the fiberglass. I told him that I was surprised that a camper only three years old would have such issues, especially in the great condition it was in and it was prepped by a Rockwood dealership. He said I could drive to the plant, which for me is only an hour and ten minutes, and have the upgraded bunk ends put on at a discount, but I would get pricing next week when the factory is back up and running.

I told him that I was surprised they would call it an upgrade due to the fact that many people have had this delamination issue. His response was it is an upgrade and it is not an issue, it is due to so many people's lack of proper maintenance. I retorted with the fact that even my own dealership called it a design flaw.

So, up to this point I am glad to hear I can "upgrade" the bunk ends at a discount. I was sad to see him get so defensive that its not their problem.

Question is: if a company felt so confident in the quality of the 2009 doors, why would they change it? Also why would they feel the need to offer a substantial discount to replace them? And no one can claim out of the kindness of their heart. If you are a company that believes in the quality of the product and you want to make a profit you do not offer great discounts on bunk ends.

I will shoot some pics today. It is very minor and I climbed in storage, there is no sign of water what so ever getting in under the door. I believe it has everything to do with the condensation that some of you had issues with.

I have informed Gregg to get on line and look at this forum. I told him I am logging my experience for all of the internet to see and I hope that they choose to make this a positive experience. We travel a lot and I would be more then inclined to get a vinyl sticker on all four sides nice and big that says Rockwood Roo, Don't Buy It!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

some pictures of the Delam... look carefully you will see the bubbles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1696364437.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	16115   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1990763890.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	16116  
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #5

Sorry to hear sbout your trouble. I 'll be paying close attention to how the factory treats you! Hopefully they will do the right thing.
mararra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by depo View Post
I explained that I was the second owner of a 2009 Roo and that had delamination on the fiberglass.
Hopefully they will take care of you but since you are considered the 2nd owner you actually have no warranty according to Forest River.
Thats is probably the reason why they are calling it an upgrade charge.

Now if you were the original owner and had this issue I am sure the reaction would be somewhat diffrent

Good Luck with that
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep

Hopefully they will take care of you but since you are considered the 2nd owner you actually have no warranty according to Forest River.
Thats is probably the reason why they are calling it an upgrade charge.

Now if you were the original owner and had this issue I am sure the reaction would be somewhat diffrent

Good Luck with that
Agree 100%

I am more concerned with the fact that Rockwood or any RV builder would take pride in a known flaw. I will call it flaw due to the fact that too many people have to be concerned with bunk ends and what may happen if any moisture gets in or around them.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by depo View Post
Agree 100%

I am more concerned with the fact that Rockwood or any RV builder would take pride in a known flaw. I will call it flaw due to the fact that too many people have to be concerned with bunk ends and what may happen if any moisture gets in or around them.
in Late 2010 I did alot of research and found that moisture on bunk ends is a common problem in most of the Hybrids (not much Delamination though) and not just rockwoods either cause it was across all the builders - I looked at them and decided to get a hard side instead because I didnt want to hassle with wet ends issue.

the hard sided trailers have their issues too so it really depends on the owner and how well they check seals and caulking areas and if it gets wet how well they let it air out and dry.

Like I said - hopefully they will take care of you and not drag you over the coals for new doors
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #9

I was the second owner of a camper that was used twice before me. Prepped every year at a Rockwood Dealership, sold to me from the Rockwood Dealership, and had a full dealer prep out the door. I caulk it before we go out every trip, so it is very well maintained. This is purely moisture and condensation that gets in the bunk ends.

I am supposed to get an extreme discount, but we will see.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #10

Depo-Any updates? I'm interested as my 2011 23SS front door panel looks almost exactly like your pictures. I too take very good care of my Roo and I have never seen any moisture on the inside. I have looked and looked and can't figure for the life of me how water can be getting in there.
NY Buckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #11

I spoke with Gregg and it is a delamination issue, but since I am the second owner and the warranty is up, I am on the hook for it. He was working a deal out for me, which I appreciate. They put the newer doors with the new canvas on it.

The actual "bubbling" is not a leak what so ever. By no fault of the user, it is moisture/condensation that expands and shrinks and causes the fiberglass to pull from the foam core.....
Old 12-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #12

2009 23SS same issue on front door

Depo I have the same issue on the front door of mine, do you recall how much these doors cost to replace?
johnmestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #13

You won't be sorry you took it to the factory. I had an accident with my camper (DON'T ask). The dealer quoted 8 grand and 6 weeks wait. The factory said $1500 and had it done in 2 days. Exact same work! Four hour drive one way for me but well worth it!!
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #14

I have a 2014 rockford roo with a delamination issue as well... really sad cause its only 9 months old

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Marine3038 is offline   Reply With Quote