Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Question Rockwood Roo 231KSS bed question

Hello fellow campers!

We have just ordered our first camper, a Roo 23IKSS, and cannot wait to start taking it out. One issue we found when with the Roo is the weird ledge towards the edge of each of the queen size pop-out beds. The ledge causes the foam pad to dip down and whoever is laying there to dip towards the other person. We are wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for leveling out the beds. We have tossed around getting camping mats (the kind usually used for backpack camping type sleeping), egg crates, or even fashioning a plywood type piece to lay on top. Our Roo is on order, should be here in about 6 weeks, so we hoped some other more experienced campers on here may have some ideas/tips you've used to deal with this issue. Hopefully we're not the ONLY ones that noticed this problem!
roocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #2

Not sure if this will be helpful, but...we have spent about 25 nights in ours and haven't noticed any issue with the matresses being unlevel. I do push the matress all the way back toward the tent end when setting them up to minimize the amount of the matress that is on the shelf. I sleep in the front bed on the "shelf side" and granted I can sleep through about anything, but seriously - it doesn't feel any different than sleeping at home to me.

We did spring for an inexpensive foam topper for a little more comfort. We found a highly rated 1.5" foam topper at Bed, Bath, & Beyond for about $20 with a coupon. It is thin enough that we leave it on whent folding the matress up, but it is thick enough to make the matress significantly more comfortable. There are better / more expensive ones out there, but this seemed to work for us and its nice to be able to leave it on.

Hope your Roo gets delivered quickly so you can start enjoying it - we certainly have been happy with ours.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip! We thought about a mattress topper as well, but were concerned about not being able to leave it in when folding it up. I'll keep my eye out for a thin one and hope that does the trick! Thanks again!!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #4

Hope your Roo gets delivered on time as well! We ordered our 23ss last week in July and do not have a order confirmation yet. We were also told 4 to 6 weeks. I'm afraid it's going to be longer than 6 weeks for us. Wish there was a way to contact FR and find out really how long. Our dealer just says "nope, nothing yet" The waiting is the hardest part of the ordering. We've moved up from a popup and we are so excited! Good luck!
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Hope your Roo gets delivered on time as well! We ordered our 23ss last week in July and do not have a order confirmation yet. We were also told 4 to 6 weeks. I'm afraid it's going to be longer than 6 weeks for us. Wish there was a way to contact FR and find out really how long. Our dealer just says "nope, nothing yet" The waiting is the hardest part of the ordering. We've moved up from a popup and we are so excited! Good luck!
Wow - seems like everybody is waiting on their new Roo's. We took a trip out to MN 2 weeks ago and as we were going down I-90 through Elkhart a we decided to stop at the RV Hall of Fame. It was pretty interesting, and then my 10 year old and I decided that we had to go to Millersburg to see the Roo factory since we were so close - the wife - totally not interested in this little side trip, but she was patient. It was Sat afternoon, so nobody around, but we checked the place out. My son was very disappointed as we looked at all the new trailers in the lot next to the plant that there were almost no Roos. A couple Shamrocks, but in the several rows of tt's we could see, almost no hybrids in stock. I don't know how many they are building, but whatever the number is, they don't seem to be sitting around at the factory.

We also made the upgrade from a popup - and everything about the Roo has been great. Hope you get many enjoyable years out yours.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Wow - seems like everybody is waiting on their new Roo's. We took a trip out to MN 2 weeks ago and as we were going down I-90 through Elkhart a we decided to stop at the RV Hall of Fame. It was pretty interesting, and then my 10 year old and I decided that we had to go to Millersburg to see the Roo factory since we were so close - the wife - totally not interested in this little side trip, but she was patient. It was Sat afternoon, so nobody around, but we checked the place out. My son was very disappointed as we looked at all the new trailers in the lot next to the plant that there were almost no Roos. A couple Shamrocks, but in the several rows of tt's we could see, almost no hybrids in stock. I don't know how many they are building, but whatever the number is, they don't seem to be sitting around at the factory.

We also made the upgrade from a popup - and everything about the Roo has been great. Hope you get many enjoyable years out yours.
Yes, we can't wait!! Out of curiosity- did your family encounter issues with the bed/ledge area I attempted to describe? It's the groove area where the bed attaches to the hard side of the camper. We've taken a lot of ideas from online, including mattress pads, egg crates, etc, and are hoping something works. Just wondering how you personally fixed the problem (if it even was one for you!).
Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roocamper View Post
Yes, we can't wait!! Out of curiosity- did your family encounter issues with the bed/ledge area I attempted to describe? It's the groove area where the bed attaches to the hard side of the camper. We've taken a lot of ideas from online, including mattress pads, egg crates, etc, and are hoping something works. Just wondering how you personally fixed the problem (if it even was one for you!).

I haven't found it to be a problem. If you want some more opinions I would put this question up on either the Roo or Shamrock sections under Hybrids. It will get read by more of the specific owners that can chime in.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Rooczmper!

I can't help you with the ledge issue you described, but I did move the thread from the general hybrid forum to the Roo forum. Hope you find your answer.

Again, welcome aboard and congratulations on your new Roo!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Canadian Member

My DW noticed the high spot on our 2010 23SS since she sleeps on that side, but after we put a thick foam topper on the stock mattress for more comfort she said she didn't notice it anymore.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #10

Roo camper, I was concerned about that ledge as well while waiting for our 23ikss to come in. After about 14 nights in it has not been a problem at all. Actually amazed how much the mattress seems to conform to the lip. My original plan was to laminate a sheet of styrofoam insulation to the bed panel to even it up, figured the insulation would be light for closing the bed and add extra comfort when cold. I have pretty much abandoned adding it at this point.

Hope your roo comes in quickly. . We also traded in a pop up and played the waiting game for about 3 weeks until ours came in. Texted our sales guy everyday so I'm sure we drove him crazy lol!

We love ours, been perfect for our family and so happy we made the switch!
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Broken Toe

That ledge is variable from camper to camper. It must be a construction issue. Both my bunks have the door lower than the ledge. My buddy's identical roo has one bed level and one where the ledge is lower than the door.

I solved mine by getting a piece of sheet foam insulation from Home Depot and cutting it to size and keeping it under the mattress. a 3/4" thick one works for me, you may need more or less.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #12

I don't understand why they actually have-this ledge there anyway, they could have lowered the cupboard or raise the door or something lol
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #13

We have camped around 25 nights in ours this summer and I get the ledge side. We have a thin foam topper as well. I can feel a very slight slant, but barely enough to notice and it doesn't bother me.

2011 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2L (for towin')
2014 Roo 23IKSS (for campin')
2005 Monterey 180FS (for boatin')
Changes_In_Latitudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #14

We have had our Roo 23IKSS since July and have camped in it for 11 nights so far and have no problem with the bed "ledge" but then we turn the mattress 1/4 turn when setting up so the longer length is the other way. That way we can sleep from inside toward the canvas end and not have to crawl over each other to get in and out of bed. In other words, our feet face the center of the camper when in bed. It only takes a minute to turn the mattress that way and works great for us since the popup camper we had before had a king size bed and that was the way we slept in it.
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #15

Angry Upset

Hi this is my first time on this forum. My husband and i bought a Roo 231kss off the lot we feel in love with it. When we picked it up the stereo didn't work. They are coming to our home to put the new one in this tuesday. No big deal right? Took it out first time and microwave also not working!! Just got back tonight 2nd time out and my bathroom smells like urine?? I washed everywhere thinking my grandsons aim was off but the smell is still there and this was only 2x's out in it. Im really getting upset as everything seems to be falling apart. We had a pop up before this I'm beginning to think we should have keep our pop up. Oh yeah the panels around the island where the sink is is also coming apart!! I hope the ones waiting for your Roo dont have these problems. Any suggestions on our new camper urine smell?
Gooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooma View Post
Hi this is my first time on this forum. My husband and i bought a Roo 231kss off the lot we feel in love with it. When we picked it up the stereo didn't work. They are coming to our home to put the new one in this tuesday. No big deal right? Took it out first time and microwave also not working!! Just got back tonight 2nd time out and my bathroom smells like urine?? I washed everywhere thinking my grandsons aim was off but the smell is still there and this was only 2x's out in it. Im really getting upset as everything seems to be falling apart. We had a pop up before this I'm beginning to think we should have keep our pop up. Oh yeah the panels around the island where the sink is is also coming apart!! I hope the ones waiting for your Roo dont have these problems. Any suggestions on our new camper urine smell?

Did you drain and wash out the black water tank?

Thetford 32947 36 Ounce Bottle Eco Smart Holding Tank Deodorant Enzyme RV Parts
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
Site Team

and did you add water back into the black tank after dumping?
any kind of black tank additives used?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #18

You might have a Dometic 300 toilet. See here for others problems:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t-43509-3.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #19

Did you leave the black and gray tank valves open when you were parked?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #20

Check the shower! Maybe your grand kids got it mixed up like the commercial on TV???
ToyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, roo, bed, rockwood roo