Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Question Rockwood Roo 231KSS bed question

Hello fellow campers!

We have just ordered our first camper, a Roo 23IKSS, and cannot wait to start taking it out. One issue we found when with the Roo is the weird ledge towards the edge of each of the queen size pop-out beds. The ledge causes the foam pad to dip down and whoever is laying there to dip towards the other person. We are wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for leveling out the beds. We have tossed around getting camping mats (the kind usually used for backpack camping type sleeping), egg crates, or even fashioning a plywood type piece to lay on top. Our Roo is on order, should be here in about 6 weeks, so we hoped some other more experienced campers on here may have some ideas/tips you've used to deal with this issue. Hopefully we're not the ONLY ones that noticed this problem!
__________________

__________________
roocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
KMP44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,025
Not sure if this will be helpful, but...we have spent about 25 nights in ours and haven't noticed any issue with the matresses being unlevel. I do push the matress all the way back toward the tent end when setting them up to minimize the amount of the matress that is on the shelf. I sleep in the front bed on the "shelf side" and granted I can sleep through about anything, but seriously - it doesn't feel any different than sleeping at home to me.

We did spring for an inexpensive foam topper for a little more comfort. We found a highly rated 1.5" foam topper at Bed, Bath, & Beyond for about $20 with a coupon. It is thin enough that we leave it on whent folding the matress up, but it is thick enough to make the matress significantly more comfortable. There are better / more expensive ones out there, but this seemed to work for us and its nice to be able to leave it on.

Hope your Roo gets delivered quickly so you can start enjoying it - we certainly have been happy with ours.
__________________

__________________


2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks for the tip! We thought about a mattress topper as well, but were concerned about not being able to leave it in when folding it up. I'll keep my eye out for a thin one and hope that does the trick! Thanks again!!
__________________
roocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jimandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 586
Hope your Roo gets delivered on time as well! We ordered our 23ss last week in July and do not have a order confirmation yet. We were also told 4 to 6 weeks. I'm afraid it's going to be longer than 6 weeks for us. Wish there was a way to contact FR and find out really how long. Our dealer just says "nope, nothing yet" The waiting is the hardest part of the ordering. We've moved up from a popup and we are so excited! Good luck!
__________________
2014 Roo 23SS
2013 GM Sierra CC
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
KMP44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Hope your Roo gets delivered on time as well! We ordered our 23ss last week in July and do not have a order confirmation yet. We were also told 4 to 6 weeks. I'm afraid it's going to be longer than 6 weeks for us. Wish there was a way to contact FR and find out really how long. Our dealer just says "nope, nothing yet" The waiting is the hardest part of the ordering. We've moved up from a popup and we are so excited! Good luck!
Wow - seems like everybody is waiting on their new Roo's. We took a trip out to MN 2 weeks ago and as we were going down I-90 through Elkhart a we decided to stop at the RV Hall of Fame. It was pretty interesting, and then my 10 year old and I decided that we had to go to Millersburg to see the Roo factory since we were so close - the wife - totally not interested in this little side trip, but she was patient. It was Sat afternoon, so nobody around, but we checked the place out. My son was very disappointed as we looked at all the new trailers in the lot next to the plant that there were almost no Roos. A couple Shamrocks, but in the several rows of tt's we could see, almost no hybrids in stock. I don't know how many they are building, but whatever the number is, they don't seem to be sitting around at the factory.

We also made the upgrade from a popup - and everything about the Roo has been great. Hope you get many enjoyable years out yours.
__________________


2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Wow - seems like everybody is waiting on their new Roo's. We took a trip out to MN 2 weeks ago and as we were going down I-90 through Elkhart a we decided to stop at the RV Hall of Fame. It was pretty interesting, and then my 10 year old and I decided that we had to go to Millersburg to see the Roo factory since we were so close - the wife - totally not interested in this little side trip, but she was patient. It was Sat afternoon, so nobody around, but we checked the place out. My son was very disappointed as we looked at all the new trailers in the lot next to the plant that there were almost no Roos. A couple Shamrocks, but in the several rows of tt's we could see, almost no hybrids in stock. I don't know how many they are building, but whatever the number is, they don't seem to be sitting around at the factory.

We also made the upgrade from a popup - and everything about the Roo has been great. Hope you get many enjoyable years out yours.
Yes, we can't wait!! Out of curiosity- did your family encounter issues with the bed/ledge area I attempted to describe? It's the groove area where the bed attaches to the hard side of the camper. We've taken a lot of ideas from online, including mattress pads, egg crates, etc, and are hoping something works. Just wondering how you personally fixed the problem (if it even was one for you!).
__________________
roocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
KMP44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by roocamper View Post
Yes, we can't wait!! Out of curiosity- did your family encounter issues with the bed/ledge area I attempted to describe? It's the groove area where the bed attaches to the hard side of the camper. We've taken a lot of ideas from online, including mattress pads, egg crates, etc, and are hoping something works. Just wondering how you personally fixed the problem (if it even was one for you!).

I haven't found it to be a problem. If you want some more opinions I would put this question up on either the Roo or Shamrock sections under Hybrids. It will get read by more of the specific owners that can chime in.
__________________


2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Welcome Rooczmper!

I can't help you with the ledge issue you described, but I did move the thread from the general hybrid forum to the Roo forum. Hope you find your answer.

Again, welcome aboard and congratulations on your new Roo!
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Canadian Member
 
itat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,902
My DW noticed the high spot on our 2010 23SS since she sleeps on that side, but after we put a thick foam topper on the stock mattress for more comfort she said she didn't notice it anymore.
__________________
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer WDH
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Member
 
Scottnlaura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 96
Roo camper, I was concerned about that ledge as well while waiting for our 23ikss to come in. After about 14 nights in it has not been a problem at all. Actually amazed how much the mattress seems to conform to the lip. My original plan was to laminate a sheet of styrofoam insulation to the bed panel to even it up, figured the insulation would be light for closing the bed and add extra comfort when cold. I have pretty much abandoned adding it at this point.

Hope your roo comes in quickly. . We also traded in a pop up and played the waiting game for about 3 weeks until ours came in. Texted our sales guy everyday so I'm sure we drove him crazy lol!

We love ours, been perfect for our family and so happy we made the switch!
__________________

__________________
2011 Nissan Titan, 2013 Nissan armada
2014 rockwood roo 23ikss
2013 nights camping - 13
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rockwood, roo, bed, rockwood roo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.