Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Rockwood Roo 233S

We've owned a PUP since 1998 and are seriously considering purchasing a 233S by next spring (if not sooner). Kids are out of the house now so it will mostly be the 2 of us but the kids will join us whenever possible. One question I have is, has anyone used just the slideout and folded down the table and/or used the jack knife sofa for a bed and just left the fold out bunks up? Just wondering if that works ok in case its really cold out and the camper would stay warmer, or if its raining and dont want to set up or take down when wet. Thanks.

Wally3b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #2

Short answer is no. I have a 23SS and as long as you have hydro and can run a microfurnace you'll have no trouble heating your trailer.

Being that you have three bunks, you may want to keep one of them closed when it's just the two of you camping.

I would sleep on the table if I had to......jack-knife sofa - no way.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #3

I have a 23SS as well. If it is just me, and the weather is garbage, I leave the bunks closed. The couch isn't the best but adding a filler to the middle helps. I look to minimize getting both bunk ends wet if it's raining as it can be a pain trying to close up. The furnace and AC does work very effectively.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
rbq

It depends what is really cold for you. We have a 233S and have always put down all of the beds even when it is just the 2 of us. I sleep on one bed & DW sleeps on another. We'll just put things on the other to get them out of the way.
We put reflectix in all off the bunks and have home made bunk covers, (my version of Popup gizmos). When doing late or early season camping try to get into a site that has power so we can use a space heater. Have had temps in the 20's and have been comfortable. Also the heated mattress help when plugged into AC. Just make the night cozy, but not too hot. We just put sleeping bags on the beds. Works for us not having to make up beds. Have had the 233S for 8 years and love having it. Has been a great trailer for us.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally3b4 View Post
We've owned a PUP since 1998 and are seriously considering purchasing a 233S by next spring (if not sooner). Kids are out of the house now so it will mostly be the 2 of us but the kids will join us whenever possible. One question I have is, has anyone used just the slideout and folded down the table and/or used the jack knife sofa for a bed and just left the fold out bunks up? Just wondering if that works ok in case its really cold out and the camper would stay warmer, or if its raining and dont want to set up or take down when wet. Thanks.

What your'e asking about, is called "Turtling" in the Hybrid community.
Many people do this, especially for quick overnighting.
If there's just two of you, most of the time, I strongly suggest that you not get a 3 bunk end hybrid. Stay with a regular two bunk end hybrid.
Having a 3rd huge hole in your trailer, means even more maintenance and possible leak issues.
If I was in you shoes,as empty nesters and wanted a hybrid, I'd look at the new 23BDS.
We bought our 23SS thinking lots of family would camp with us. In the 10 years we owned it, I could count on one hand, the number of trips we had someone sleep in it. So when we replaced it, we bought a true couple's trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:

I have a 21SS and was camping this past weekend. We've turtled a few times. Our son is in college now so it was just my wife and I this time out. We slept on the sofa. It has an air matress and we put 2" memory foam on that. The first morning we woke up to 26 degrees which is the coldest we've ever camped in. Along with the furnace I also run a small electric heater to save some propane. They cycled alternately through the night. The second night was a balmy 30 degrees. The furnace never came on and the electric heater, on low kept the trailer at 60 degrees. We do like a cold bedroom.

We don't have tank heaters so after dinner I drained the tanks and disconnected the water supply hose. The water heater and lines were pressurized but I keep cabinet doors open for heat to get to the water lines. I reconnect in the mornings.

Some other campsites seemed surprised that their water hoses were frozen solid.
Keystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for the replies. We've done plenty of cool weather camping in the PUP and have also piggybacked an electric space heater along with the campers furnace as others have stated here. It sounds like "turtling" is definitely something that is done in different situations, it just will depend on how comfortable you can make it.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. We've done plenty of cool weather camping in the PUP and have also piggybacked an electric space heater along with the campers furnace as others have stated here. It sounds like "turtling" is definitely something that is done in different situations, it just will depend on how comfortable you can make it.
Yellowstone's Fishing Bridge campground is the only campground there(for RVs) that has a permanent ban on soft-sided campers. Many hybrid owners, who want to stay there, use the Turtle ability to get in.

Wally, since you owned a PUP, are you familiar with Popup Gizmos and Reflectix for the tent ends? They are the #1 Hybrid mod.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
JMD

Yes, and you can fit one of the heated mattresses on the downed table.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #10

Dan, thanks for the tip. I have heard of those before but have never pursued them. We've always managed to get by with lots of blankets and sleeping bags with the electric space heater kicker.

JMD, thats an interesting way to do it - woulda never thought of that.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
What your'e asking about, is called "Turtling" in the Hybrid community.
Many people do this, especially for quick overnighting.
If there's just two of you, most of the time, I strongly suggest that you not get a 3 bunk end hybrid. Stay with a regular two bunk end hybrid.
Having a 3rd huge hole in your trailer, means even more maintenance and possible leak issues.
If I was in you shoes,as empty nesters and wanted a hybrid, I'd look at the new 23BDS.
We bought our 23SS thinking lots of family would camp with us. In the 10 years we owned it, I could count on one hand, the number of trips we had someone sleep in it. So when we replaced it, we bought a true couple's trailer.
We bought the 23BDS for this very reason. Our son is getting older and likes to sleep outside with his buddies when we go in groups. While the murphy bed is hit miss with us (hit=full mattress. miss=covers the front window) we have the ability to comfortably sleep four inside without opening any bunks, although opening the slide is a must for the front bed. We do keep the rear bunk open for those too cold/hot or wet nights or if a friend comes along but we have closed it up the day before departure if rain is expected.

The larger U dinette in this model also makes the dinette a comfortable sized bed for two at around seven feet long.

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #12

23SS

We've love our 23SS. I found the furnace has no problem keeping it warm. When travelling I have turtled on the table and it worked out just fine. Pushed the slide out about a foot. Our previous camper was a pup, the 23SS is easier to setup in our view.

We are selling our 23SS to go in another direction. It's listed in the classifieds here.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #13

Quote:

I suppose you could. Unless you are very much shorter in stature I wouldn't sleep on the jack knife sofa. It is a bit short and a bit narrow. Works well for kids though. The table would be the way to go, but I think, still on the uncomfortable side. When DW and I are the only ones in our 233 we usually leave the back 2 bunks up and sleep on the front. The furnace works well although I usually keep that at about 55 to keep it from getting stupid cold in there and then just use a good blanket.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo