Old 05-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #21

Towing with Nissen Frontier

Not sure if you got my earlier post. My Frontier has a 6500 towing capacity (some sites say 6400) and a hitch weight capacity of 650 lbs. (some say 630 lbs)
The Roo 23ws weights under 5000 lbs with a tongue weight of 500 lbs. I think I will be OK
Thanks for your posting
Delaware David

Old 05-28-2016, 03:51 AM   #22

You are looking at dry weights. Always look at loaded weights when assessing capacity. The gvwr weight of the 23ws is about 6200 lbs.
Depending on how much stuff you bring, you may be close to the maximum weights for the frontier. Just something to think about.
I guess we are light packers, I usually see guestimates that a family of 4 adds about 1000lbs of stuff. I have taken the camper loaded up to the scales, we only added about 500 lbs of stuff to the camper so we are running about 5200 lbs. with water tank empty. and as I already stated, the loaded tongue weight is at 640 lbs. you may need to be mindful of what and how you pack.
The 23ws is nice as most of the storage is behind and over the axles.
The other thing to consider is the cargo capacity of the frontier. Check on that number as the tongue weight does eat into that capacity and may limit what you should put in the truck (like people).
I did all the checking on these weights before I before I settled on which camper to get. Ruled out few other camper types before settling on this one.

Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:23 AM   #23

Looked up specs for your Frontier. Max towing 6500..max payload 1470. Max payload is everything you put in the Nissan, front and back, and includes the tongue weight of the camper. So, taking payload of 1470, subtracting tongue weight of 640, leaves you 830 lbs for passengers, gear, firewood etc. Sounds very doable.
However, max towing does not take into consideration the frontal area of the camper and the huge amount of drag it generates. There is a big, big difference between pulling a flatbed trailer loaded to 6500 lbs and a flat front camper loaded to the same weight. Your v6 will not generate the horsepower needed to comfortably pull the Roo.
One caveat would be the terrain you are driving and the distance of your trip. If your trip is relatively short and flat, you could try it. However , hills of any size, and mountains for sure, will be a real problem.
I predict a new tow vehicle in your future.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #24
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
I predict a new tow vehicle in your future.

x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #25

Tow Vehicle

Thanks for all of the good feedback. I do plan a new tow vehicle in my future, but have to pay for the trailer first. Delaware is flat and I don't drive fast. We'll see how all the towing goes.

Happy Camping.

Delaware Dave
Old 05-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #26

Good luck
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
Thanks for all of the good feedback. I do plan a new tow vehicle in my future, but have to pay for the trailer first. Delaware is flat and I don't drive fast. We'll see how all the towing goes.

Happy Camping.

Delaware Dave
Dave, you don't get to the north end much, do you?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #28

Question re: kitchen storage in the 23WS

New to this forum (and to RV'ing in general!), we just ordered our 23WS and are very excited. I noticed that our trade for the wardrobe is a lack of kitchen pantry/storage space. Anybody with a 23WS care to share whether this has been a problem for you? Or any modifications/solutions you may have found for it? Considering using 1/3 of the wardrobe as a pantry and putting some shelves in (while I love the storage space the wardrobe offers, I'm not sure I see a need for a hanging wardrobe for us...).

Thanks!!!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maman325 View Post
New to this forum (and to RV'ing in general!), we just ordered our 23WS and are very excited. I noticed that our trade for the wardrobe is a lack of kitchen pantry/storage space. Anybody with a 23WS care to share whether this has been a problem for you? Or any modifications/solutions you may have found for it? Considering using 1/3 of the wardrobe as a pantry and putting some shelves in (while I love the storage space the wardrobe offers, I'm not sure I see a need for a hanging wardrobe for us...).

Thanks!!!
You figured out the solution for a pantry........We did the same and it works just fine !
We're camping.....Like you, no need for a hanging pole !
Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maman325 View Post

Thanks!!!
That's what we did. We flipped the door on the left so that it opens toward the kitchen and added shelves. We each put our clothes in a basket. Still need to get some sort of bars to keep food from falling out on bumpy roads. Other than that, it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470880715692.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	116875  

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo