Old 05-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Smile Rockwood Roo 23WS

Really like what I see about the Rockwood Roo 23WS. Have any of you out there purchased one of these units? How is it working out for you? Any concerns I should look for when I inspect the unit I am getting later this summer?

Old 05-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #2

We did buy one late October and finally made our maiden trip this past week end. All we can say is WE LOVE THAT CAMPER! It is our third hybrid, and by far the best !

Our situation might be different than yours:

First.............We are in our sixties and we are both two snorers.....LOL!!! ..... so we need our sleep! My wife who sleeps a little later than me, took the rear private room, and she LOVED it!
As for me, I sleep in the front room. I always wake up early in the morning, and making my coffee in the morning didn't bother her.

Second.......The shower with glass doors is a big upgrade from what we had (curtains), plus that nice cabinet in the bathroom.

Third......Setting it up was a breeze ( 10 minutes and we're ready to have our glass of wine )

So much more, but all we can say is WHAT A NICE HYBRID !

Dre

Old 05-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

So far so good. we are getting ready to take ours out on it's second outing.
our first outing went smoothly and we love the trailer, nothing broke. We were snug and dry on a cool, wet, and muddy weekend.

the only thing we noticed was that the door to the back bed/wardrobe area does not open all the way due to the fridge being right there. it makes it feel tight. Also, there is no air conditioning vent in that back hallway so we had concerns about it getting hot back there as the door tends to stay closed to stay out of the way of the bathroom door and restricted circulation (yes, the door does not go all the way to the ceiling, and there is a vent right in front of the door to direct some of the AC air over the door top??? but I do not think that little gap will allow much for circulation). These were our concerns even before we bought the camper, so not surprised.

We can sort of access the wardrobe area with the kitchen slide in, but we were having to climb over that little counter that juts out from under the television, so clothes were just put on the dinette and then placed in the wardrobe after we set up at the campsite, no biggy.

So after camping once with it, we have decided we don't need that door. We have taken the door down and hung a curtain in the doorway. i think that will work much better for us.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:55 AM   #4

We bought a 23ws in Feb and have had it out 2 times, I really have not had many issues with mine. I have added few things I think make camping in it a little more comfy.

I replace the shower head with the Oxygenetics shower head, added 2 reading lights over the dinette (we use them constantly and can't imagine this camper without them)

I added an Apple tv and correctly wired the speakers, (for some reason they wire the 2 inside speakers wrong and the nice sounding radio costing $400 out on the street sounds like crap until you rewire it.)

I put a hitch on the rear of the camper for the bikes, and am now installing JT Strongarm stabilizers on it to steady it up, (this is a mod that requires a lot of mechanical fabrication skills as does the hitch).

I am pleased with how it tows so far and have discovered the camper is useable on the road, you could stop at a rest stop and run the slide out and cook a full meal and clean up on the road if you wanted, we usually do fast food or sandwiches.

Our camper is set up behind our house and we (yard camp) in it all summer, I plan to make my own tent end covers, (I own a sign shop) because I want the logo printed on mine and my wife likes the light coming through, and I want them to be the same color as my tent ends, so I have a plan, I just really want to keep tree junk and bird doo doo off my tent ends.

What tow vehicle do you have? What is your previous camper? Ad why do you have to wait so long to get your 23ws? Hurry up the campgrounds are waiting! Just kidding,

Just to answer your main question, We Really like the camper and would buy the same one again. it is perfect for us, we have no trouble with the doors, the shower is perfect, wardrobe slide is handy, I have a lot of storage and it is cozy inside if it rains. It is nice to unzip the ends and have the air come through!

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2016, 07:41 AM   #5

delaware dave and the Roo 23WS

Thanks for all the great feedback. This is my first forum and I am a new member. I will be towing my Roo with a Nissan Frontier 4-door (6400 lbs. towing)

For about 10 years we have been using a Jayco 1404 - twin axil pop-up. Great camper but we are finally ready to upgrade. Can't wait, but have to get all my ducks in a roll so will not purchase until Aug or Sept.

About the only concern I had with the 23WS was the terrible positioning of the TV. There is another model that puts it near the front door; a much better position. Has anyone had problems with grease popping off the stove onto the electronic controls?

Thanks for the heads up about the rear door issue. Curtain is an idea I will have to explore. Anyone know how hard it is to wire a TV cable into the "night stand" by the door? That would solve the TV location issue.
Keep on camping everyone and save a camping site for me. See you in Sept.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #6

Lots of people on here have added tv outlets in other places. Another easy option would be to cook anything greasy outside.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #7

The TV and its location is not a problem at all this was actually my main concern and was keeping me from wanting a 23 WS.

I was trying to find a 23 SS to purchase instead because of the TV location.

Boy am I glad I didn't, the TV is in a nice location to view from the dinette and I can easily see it from the bunk.

I have made bacon multiple times in mine already and there really were no issues with splashing. The TV location has become such a non-issue I am surprise, I'm used to it being there and I like it there.
I have made a few involved meals in mine so far and they really turned out great!

I think this camper is laid out very well actually I'm stunned at how well I think it's laid out.

Coming from a pop up you will truly be in heaven!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post

Also, there is no air conditioning vent in that back hallway so we had concerns about it getting hot back there as the door tends to stay closed to stay out of the way of the bathroom door and restricted circulation (yes, the door does not go all the way to the ceiling, and there is a vent right in front of the door to direct some of the AC air over the door top??? but I do not think that little gap will allow much for circulation).
If you pull the vent located outside the door you'll see that the duct that is formed in the roof styrofoam extends further. You can cut in another round vent further back, almost to the shelf over the bunk.

I'm not sure why but some of the ones built last year did not have the AC vent back there. It seems that they are in ones built from December onward.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #9

Nice to know they remedied that. Ours was a late 2015 build. But the door just being there was an issue anyway. If we have circulation issues, will look into that then.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback. This is my first forum and I am a new member. I will be towing my Roo with a Nissan Frontier 4-door (6400 lbs. towing)
I hate to say that you'll probably not be happy towing the 23WS with your v-6.
And loaded for camping, the hitch will probably exceed the Frontiers max capacity.

What's its payload capacity?

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, rockwood roo, roo