Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #1

Roo 17 towing question

My wife and I are moving up from a 2,100 lb popup to a Roo 17. The dealer didn't think I would need an equalizer hitch on my Tundra 4.7L. He recommended just the same ball hitch I use to pull my popup without equalizer for such a small, single axle TT. Is he right or should I plan on getting another hitch? I tried doing a search, but nothing came up.

Also, anything I should know or ask about before purchasing the "17"?

One last question. We looked at a Surveyor SP-191T yesterday which is about the same size as the Roo. In some ways it looked better built, but in others it looked inferior. How do they compare?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alton
awagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Alton,

What is the GVWR of the trailer you are looking at? A few years ago it was 3,900lbs which implies a tongue weight of ~400-585lbs. You only NEED a WDH if you tow more than 5,000lbs so that is probably what he is referring to.

However, you also have a second limit with your truck's receiver. I believe the max load you can tow without distribution with the OEM hitch on the Tundra is 500lbs so not using one will surely restrict how you pack. Take a look at your receiver to verify that limit. As I said above, the TW could be more than 500lbs depending on how much you load and how you load.

Also, I think its a more comfortable tow with a WDH. Even if the light tongue without a WDH is not a problem for the Tundra, you will notice your truck's front end will still end up lighter without a WDH. I personally hate light steering like that.

Finally, you can get additional sway control on even the least expensive hitches and many moderately priced ones have sway control built in. It's a safety thing and the only time I don't use a WDH is with lighter boat trailers and an old Popup. I would suggest you consider a WDH with the Roo 17.

Hope this helps.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #3

Thanks, Scott, for the reply. The dry weight listed on the door of the Roo is about 3,500 lbs., so I suspect I'll be towing somewhere north of 4,000 lbs. The tongue weight is less than 400 lbs. I appreciate your advice that it will be safer with a WDH. That's more important than how it drives.

Anyone have any thoughts about the quality of a Roo compared with a Surveyor hybrid. I noticed the Surveyor's tent ends are still wrapped around the edge of the door and secured with a bungee as opposed to the permanently attached canvas on the Roo. However, the ends of my popup are just wrapped over and have never leaked.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Glad that helps you.

BTW - that TW < 400lbs is dry. After you load, you will need to have between 10% and 15% of the loaded camper's weight as the tongue weight. So, a midline 13% of an estimated 4,000lbs is 520lbs TW.

I can't help you much in comparing the Surveyor hybrid to the Roo, but I have seen Surveyor hybrids and thoughts they were nicely done. We owned a Grand Surveyor TT once and it was very well-made. I think both brands are nice so I would choose first on the floorplan, second on the additional options and items that you can only get with each brand, and third the service at the respective dealers (important to go with whoever has the best reputation for service (all else being equal)).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Thanks, Scott. Good advice.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Alton, I believe using a WDH like the E2 Equalizer would help alot for the Roo. Im not sure what year your 4.7l Tundra is but our 2002 is very close to GVWR (6036) when fully loaded. Payload is big problem with most 1/2 tons and the trailer with added weight of battery, propane and your belongings adds up fast. Our GCW was 8880 on CAT scales ( TV= 5400 (fully loaded) + TT=3330) the tongue weight was 424 with WDH engaged on scales. Big lesson is payload is the restriction not GCWR. best of luck in your TT selection.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #7

I'm pulling a 2012 Roo19 with a Chevy Traverse. Loaded weight is running around 4500lbs. I bought a WDH for it and it rode great. However, I pulled it to the storage place this fall without installing the WDH equalizer bars, just used the ball, and man, what a difference. I would strongly sugggest the WDH. (Not thrilled with the pulling ability of the Traverse, I'm seriously looking for a V-8 TV this spring.)
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote