Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

Roo 183 - Opinions

Hi all -

We are a "tenters" that are looking to take the next steps in our camping adventures and considering a Roo 183.

I'd be curious people's opinion of the Roo line (and especially 183). Good, bad and the ugly?

Thanks,
Tom
tm5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #2

That would be a very nice step up from a tent! The 183 has a lot of space for a trailer that size. If you need/want the 3 beds, its hard to beat.

We are just finishing our 5th season with our Roo and are super happy with it. Would certainly recommend one if you want more amenities, but still like the tent feel of the canvas bunks.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #3

We had our Roo 19 for 3 seasons; only issue was a bad water heater valve.

That being said, a very small percentage of folks have had problems with the bunk doors leaking. There are some easy mods to help with that. Wanted you to be aware.

Also, if you sleep as a couple and are "of a certain age," you may find one of you needs to crawl over the other several times a night. That's essentially what moved us to our Mini Lite. I do miss sleeping under the canvas, though.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:07 AM   #4

I have had my 2014 183 out to two 3 month winter trips in FL, plus many other 2 and 3 week adventures from Upper MI to TN. Just my wife and I usually, but sometimes my grown daughter and her friend. The wife and I sleep in separate bunks as we have different sleeping habits. We usually use the side bunk for clothes storage and other misc items. We never spend much time inside, and usually cook outside, under the power awning.

We tent camped years ago, but most recently had a popup. I got tired of the hour or more up/down with the popup, as everything needed to be packed in order to get everything put away. With our Shamrock we can tear down and setup in less than 30 minutes taking our time. There is a lot of room to move around and get dressed that the popup did not have.

I towed my 183 with a '01 Dodge 250 van for two years, but now I have a '14 RAM 1500 that tows it much better.

The 183 is about 3800# unloaded, and I always load mine to the max which gives it a 4800# max weight and about a 550# tongue weight. I use a Harbor Freight $200 weight distribution hitch and it does just fine.

Make sure you have a suitable payload capacity in your tow vehicle... payload is the key because about 500# plus or minus will be used up as tongue weight. My 1500 only has about 1400# payload, but with just the wife and I that has been plenty. You are pulling a massive wind break behind you and a smaller SUV will be taxed on longer/mountains drives.

I have made a couple of big mods to my 183... you can read them here and here...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oo-120013.html

The smaller size if the 183 is nice in cramped campgrounds, but with 3 queen beds and a dinette bed you can sleep a small crowd if necessary. It is a hybrid, so you have to watch for leaking bunk ends, but I have not had that problem.

Read thru the Shamrock/Roo sub-forum for lots of info on 183's.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

We have the 2014 Shamrock 183 which is pretty much the twin to the Roo I think. So far we’ve had no major problems with it. Electric jack froze on the 2nd trip but I figured out that that was due to the top cap missing a gasket and rain got in probably the whole time it sat on dealers lot. Only other little quirks I’ve found is not being able to find a replacement cartridge for the on board water filter and the outside electrical outlet doesn’t like a griddle on with anything else. Solved that with by running a drop cord from the GC pedestal.
n4uaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #6

I have a 21SS, but we went from tenting to a pop-up for 10 years. The hybrid is perfect for us, as it still keeps the close-to-nature feel, but we don't have the issues of packing so tightly in a 8' Rockwood 1610 pop-up and allows us to further extend our camping season from late March in Indiana to just after Thanksgiving in Kentucky.

The disadvantage is that Roo's have the aerodynamics of a flatiron, and the wind resistance takes more fuel to pull than a pop-up or A-frame with their lower profile. We stored our pop-up in the garage, but we are building a 14' sidewall pole building garage to store our Roo, which requires a 12' high door.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #7

We have a 2014 Roo 21DK which is a 19 foot box, 2 queens and a kitchen slide. Works for us since we don't need the 3rd bed all that often and if we need more beds we use the dinette. Only thing I miss in this lay out is we don't have a couch but the extra room and counter space you get with the kitchen slide is a nice plus. It 4010 dry so not that much more then the 183... Tongue is 590.

The fit and finish on ours is pretty good and everything has held up well so I would not hesitate buying another Forrest River hybrid like Shamrock or Surveyor.

We tent camped at first, then a pop up for 10 years and now the Hybrid. The reduced set up and prep time with the Hybrid makes getting ready for a trip so much easier we find ourselves camping more sometimes at the spur of the moment. We keep most of what we need in the camper, so turn on the fridge, load the food and we're off...Set up and tear downs are minutes, not hours so that helps too and the weather isn't as much of a concern as it used to be.

It's been a real game changer for us and my only regret is not upgrading sooner.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #8

You don't give us any details on family size or future family thoughts. But I will say we went from a big pup to the Roo 19 (only two beds but still same concept) and the setup and tear down, along with extra capacity for water and bathroom was enough to make it worth it.

The only thing I would have done if I had a bigger TV, would be to go with something with a slide. It can get a little cramped inside w/ 2 adults, kids, and dog.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #9

Wish I would have known this model existed when we bought our 19. An option to have 3 queen pop-outs plus the table/bed? Looks like it would sleep technically one more person than my 19, but otherwise has the same/similar features.

It can get cramped inside if everyone's moving around at once, much better than our popup was, but we try to kick everyone outside unless it's bad weather so it's not an issue. We tend to have 6 or more when we camp (extra kids in a tent).

We have had to fiddle and fix a few things over the last 2 years, (we're having the dealer look into a leak in the front bunk next week actually). It helps if you're somewhat handy. Colorado to Gulf Shores to Edisto Island, and lots of local trips later, no real complaints!
jehrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #10

I now have a roo 233s, and I love this camper. My previous camper was a kz spree escape 20rbt, which is also a three bunk hybrid with a very similar layout to the 183. (The one thing that is missing from the 183 is a couch, which may or may not be a big thing for you.) It was great, but the roo is a step up in every dimension... literally. A little taller. A little wider. Power awning. Scissor jacks vs stab jacks. The glass shower door. Mounted tv vs one you have to set up every time. A little larger sink. Gas and electric water heater. And the slide out. Man do I live that slide out! The little things add up!!!

I will give you my perceived negatives. The beds are not that comfortable. Fixed with a mattress pad. I am in the small group that has a little leaking from the bunks when closed. Easy mods to fix that. That's really all I've got.

It is a solidly built trailer. It's an ultralight, so keep that in mind, but if you are handy at all, and take care of it, I think you too will love a roo!

One thing that I will ask you to think about is the size of your family. When I bought our spree escape, I had one kid. We now have three with the oldest having just turned 4. The spree escape is fine for now, but these suckas ain't getting any smaller.

Everybody's different, but I thought that in a few years, we're gonna out grow this spree escape. Many people just need a place to sleep, but we do spend a bit of time in the actual camper. So, I went with the 233s. If your trailer is a long-term purchase, I would suggest you look at it. It's not that much more money, and it has the slide, and the dinette, couch, and front bunk are all within viewing angle of the tv. Maybe I'm just a bad parent, but with three small kids, it's sure nice to be able to get everyone together in the evening to veg out before bed time.

Bottom line... I love my roo. I would recommend it to anybody. It's my prize possession, and I have zero regrets.
233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Bottom line... I love my roo. I would recommend it to anybody. It's my prize possession, and I have zero regrets.
Now that is a strong recommendation!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #12

Boom!!!👍
233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #13

Wow, careful there. You are jumping the intermediate step that most tenters take by going popup. Big risk going outside the norm.

We tented, were good with tents but wanted more comfort getting around 40. Found a great deal and went to popup. Liked the popup a lot though it was a long process to setup and take down. Had the popup for several years. Lost popup to a hail storm.

Went back to tents. Wife didn't mind the tent but last couple of years we tented in the rain. I was miserable, and hated it. I didn't really want to camp again until we got a trailer.

I went to that large national camping chain one day just to wander around without any intention of buying. We have an issue of having to sleep 8-10 when we camp. Most sleep 6 at the most. Stumbled on the Bullet hybrid that has 3 fold out bunks. Absolutely loved it from the minute I saw it.

I preferred Rockwood as our popup was Rockwood. Found the 233s which was and identical floor plan as the Bullet. Bought it and love it. The Roo hybrids are small enough to get into national forest campgrounds which many are limited to 30ft and under. It is also small enough to get it into some back woods areas. Setup/tear down takes a fraction of the time of the popup. I also don't find the beds that uncomfortable but I was sleeping on the ground before.

I am trying to think of any negatives on hybrids. I can see if you use it in very hot areas, getting the temp down with the AC might be tough. We camped once where it was in the low to mid 90's. The AC could only get the temp down to the low to mid 80's due to being completely unshaded and the bunks being nothing but canvas. We usually camp in the mountains so this is normally not a problem for us. The only thing I can really think of is if you are look for a "closet" to hang your clothes. Most hybrids don't really have anything for this but you can rig something up. We camp in nature so our wardrobe is t-shirts and shorts or jeans so our clothes stay in duffel bags. Watch out for older hybrids/popups that don't have the canvas permanently attached to the bunk. We had a dog roll out of one in our popup. I sure a child could do the same. Newer hybrids this is not a problem.

I have wondered if we will ever become 5vers in our retired life but I just don't see it. Our Roo 233s is so perfect. Lots of room in the living area and big fridge. Buy a hybrid now! They are the perfect camper but then I am biased.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #14

If you're having temperature issues, get some PUGS (Popup Gizmos).

PopupGizmos

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #15

We were tent campers and went to an RV show to look at high wall pop-ups. We'd never heard of a hybrid. We purchased a new 2008 Shamrock 183 for not that much more than the pop-up considering we were gaining a 2 door fridge, actual (albeit small) bathroom with a lot of storage room. That 3rd bunk adds storage both below and above. Traded in 2015 for the 231KSS model. We did have some delam. issues with the 183. No other problems.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #16
Canadian Member

We were very close to buying a 183 but DW decided she really wanted a sofa so we ended up with a 23SS (see my signature). We ended up buying used and there were no 233S models available at the time.

We had Popup Gizmos to virtually eliminate condensation on the underside of the canvas roof over the beds. I highly recommend them to hybrids owners.

We sold our Roo after a couple years because we had the aforementioned bunk door leak in the top (horizontal) seal and the doors delaminated. It cost me $1000 have them replaced. Our 2010 model had different bunk doors that the current generation so the new ones may be less prone to leaking. I'm pretty sure I had it fixed when I sold it but I was constantly worried it would start to leak again so I decided to sell it and get a regular travel trailer. I miss sleeping under the canvas but I don't miss crawling over my DW to get out of the bed.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you're having temperature issues, get some PUGS (Popup Gizmos).

PopupGizmos
We also just added reflectix to our bunk end windows. It was 25 dollars, and maybe 30 minutes to cut the pieces to size with scissors. Helps with temperatures here in Missouri (and when we travel south), but it also adds the benefit of keeping the bunk dark if you want to sleep in a little
jehrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:12 AM   #18

Hybrid campers are fantastic because they maximize the inside trailer space by keeping to beds outside the floor space. By comparison, a 60x80 bed takes up alot of space inside a traditional hard sided trailer.

If you have kids, definitely with go with a 3 bunk/bed model. You cant have enough beds with friends or kids who like more space. If you don't need the extra bed, simply leave it closed.

We have the 233S, which is a bigger slide version of the 183 with couch and U dinnette. The slide is great and really makes for a large expansive space inside the camper. Drawback is this is a bigger and heavier camper than the 183. It is worth it to me but depends on your needs.

Drawback to hybrids -
- Heat: It can be hot in 90+ weather in the middle of the day. Pop Up Gizmos help here greatly - no issues at night, it is cold as you want. In addition, we are rarely in the camper in the middle of the day.
- Noise: Being a tent trailer, you also can hear outside noises more. However, the bunk fans and AC will drown most of this out.
- Beds: If you need to get out of bed before your bed mate, you may have to crawl over the other person to exit the bed. If you have someone who gets up frequently, I recommend they sleep in the position closest to floor/exit.

I highly recommend Rockwood Roo/Shamrock. I think that they are well built and have higher end features than most of the competition. Hybrid campers pack an incredible amount of function and in a comparably space.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #19

I do not know if it would work for all Roo models but we turn our mattress 1/4 turn when setting up and then sleep with our feet towards the inside of the camper. That way we do not have to crawl over each other to get in and out of bed.
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:07 PM   #20

5 years, 12000 miles and 134 nights in our Roo 183 and we are satisfied with it. No major issues. Just the wife and I.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo