Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Roo 183L Options Questions

Hi all- we are 99% sure we're purchasing a Roo 183L. No, they don't make the 183L anymore this year, but the guy at RVW is telling us he asked and they said they can make us one if we decide quickly. We had decided on this model last year but didn't have the $, and now that we do of course it's no longer made. :roll eyes: But looks like we're going to get lucky- hopefully! Now for the questions. What options do you consider to be most important?

If we get the upgraded gas oven, that means we'll be able to use it even if we're not hooked to electricity, correct? (Have I mentioned we have NO idea what we're doing, LOL?)

Storm windows? Heated holding tanks? Power awning? Spare tire with carrier and cover? Aluminum wheels? Outside grill? Power jack? Double door refrigerator? Extra vent? Water purifier? Unfortunately (obviously!), all these things add up to more $. So what should we go for and what should we leave behind?

FWIW we live in Atlanta area, and will probably mostly use our TT around our area, and NC. But we want to be able to use it in the winter and without having to be hooked up all the time... I know that this will just be people's opinions and we have to decide for ourselves, but I'd appreciate any recommendations and advice anyone has. Thanks!

olwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Wants and needs. AC. Power awning is nice to have. Big fridge a plus. Power tongue jack if you are connecting/disconnecting a lot. Dual batteries. Aluminum wheels are just for looks. Obviously you have to look at price difference and remember that dealer installed can sometimes be better than aftermarket. Easier to deal with too.

baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We have a power awning and I like it. Very quick and handy. I'd buy it again. I have had a manual awning in the past but eventually never used it because taking it down and putting back up several times a trip became a hassle.

Get the power jack and spare tire.

I think they all come with a water purifier as a "standard" option.

The double door fridge and alum wheels are just for show and is personal preference.

Storm windows might sound nice, but you might not be able to open them like the regular windows - check up on that because I'm not sure. Personally, I wouldn't get storm windows in a hybrid, though.

The oven is something people use a lot or not at all. They work solely on propane so you can use it dry camping (i.e., without hookups).

The gas grill is just "ok". Depends on how picky you are. I use it occasionally, but prefer to bring along a better grill or to cook over the fire.

Decide how often you will camp dry. Your AC will not be available unless you also invest in a fairly large generator (extra $$ for a quiet Honda or Yamaha) and are in a park that allows them or has hours in which to run the genny. This might also be an issue with the heated holding tanks. Not sure because we don't have them but you should check if they run on DC.

Speaking of DC; consider getting two batteries instead of one. These are purchased through the dealer and not the factory and you should search this forum to learn about the 12-volt world. Here's a good place to start - 12-volt side of life.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Thanks to both of you! I will check on the storm windows opening. See, these are the things that didn't occur to me!

So is the double door fridge and/or freezer bigger? If so we definitely need that. And we will definitely get the gas oven so I can cook more like home. I've seen the posts about the ceramic tile to make the heat more even, so I'll do that. I cook a lot and can't imagine not having an oven.

The grill is probably going to be DH's decision. We currently use a Big Green Egg at home, so I'm having a REALLY hard time believing he'd be happy with a gas grill now, but maybe just for ease he might want it... Does anyone know if the 183 comes with a flip out tray thing next to the grill?

I'm under the impression that the TT is going to come with AC and isn't an option. I hope I'm right about that! And we may look into a generator later, but that's something that we definitely don't have to spend $ on right now.

I will advise DH on the double batteries- thanks for that tip!

Anyone else?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant
yes, you don't need electricity nor battery power to use the oven or stovetop.

you don't have your location in your sig, so don't know if storm windows are worth it for you. i don't have them and don't see a big need for them.

heated tanks, again, you don't say where you're from. if you plan on camping in cold weather, then this is a good option to purchase.

definitely get the spare tire, larger fridge/freezer, extra vent.

the aluminum wheels, outside grill, water filter and power jack are nice but not necessary. the wheels are just bling.
we like the grill and the water filter. we got a power jack off of Ebay for around $100 and installed it ourselves. easy mod.
you can put an outside filter on the water hookup if you like but the factory inside one will filter the tank water, too.

to get the shelf on the side, you have to order the grill option.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Thanks, bikendan! We live in the Atlanta area. (So storm windows or not?) I'm sure we will mostly be camping in NC though, because my DH loves that state! I think cold weather camping would be a very good possibility. One of the reasons we're (hopefully) getting a TT in the first place is that I worry too much about the kids in a tent since they don't stay in their sleeping bags well. At least in the TT we can have a little heat and I can keep an eye on them with a flashlight through the night. When we tent camp they sleep in a separate tent so I can't see them and that makes me nervous.

Would the heated holding tanks somehow seal the underside of the TT better? I read online that that may be an added benefit.

We'll probably cross power jack off the list if it can be easily added at a later date.

And thanks for the grill shelf info... might have to get the grill just so we can get the little shelf.

Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Because you are getting a hybrid storm windows would be a waste of $. Heated tank are not needed. We camp in temp. that reach 20f with no problem. If the tanks are DC and you are dry camping do not expect the batteries to last for long.
Only you can decide on what options you want or need in the TT.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
A previous poster noted that the double door fridge was for show... I have to disagree, it is worth it I think.

Good luck.
Denis & Diane
2010 Sabre 31REDS
Ford F-250 2011
* Happy Campers *
miatared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Thanks, Denis. I think we will go with the double door. I don't like the idea of having the little ice box thingy inside of the refrigerator. Appreciate the advice!