Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
jfg57

Roo 19

I am interested in the Roo 19, upgrading from a popup.
How well does the ac and heat work with the slide out beds?
Also how are the slide out beds supported? The length for the '19 is 20'9" and 24'9" expanded. Seems like the beds ought to expand further since each is 60" (5') wide. Is part of the bed still within the trailer?
Looking to pull with my '97 Chevy Express with 5.0L v-8 for awhile. Hope to upgrade TV next year.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

i moved your post to the Roo section here, under Expandables/Hybrids, since you had posted in the the 5th Wheels/Travel Trailers section.
the Roo is a hybrid and there's a dedicated Roo section. also, the Shamrock 19 is the twin to the Roo.

the beds on hybrids don't "slide out", they drop down like a tailgate. they are almost all supported by cables, now. older hybrids had poles like popups.
part of the beds are inside, therefore the width numbers.

nearly all hybrid owners are fine with the a/c and furnace. a lot of us use PUGs or solar blankets to help keep cool or retain heat in the bunk ends.

have you looked at an actual hybrid? doesn't sound like you have by your questions.
by the way, you should be more than fine with your van, pulling the 19.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #3

We have the Roo 19 and love it. We moved up from a popup and enjoy the extra room and having a fridg. If it is me and the DW we only have to make up the one bed but we have the flexibility of a second bed if the DS comes along. We have camped from early April until late October and found a small electric heater and the heated mattresses are sufficient warmth. We used the AC a couple days in July and it kept up fine.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Here's my feedback below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfguyer View Post
I am interested in the Roo 19, upgrading from a popup.
How well does the ac and heat work with the slide out beds? The bunk ends are going to be harder to heat and cool; not doubt about it. The AC and heat work quite well and can be assisted with the fan/lights that come with the trailer; especially with the back bunk. Owning a pop-up, you might be familiar with PUGs to help insulate and keep cooler in the summer, warmer in colder temps, partially control condensation, and it helps to keep the canvas cleaner.
Are you more concerned with heating or cooling? There are other things you can do if you camp in extremes. We tend to camp in moderate temps in Wisconsin and are usually under trees.
Also how are the slide out beds supported? The length for the '19 is 20'9" and 24'9" expanded. As bikendan said, its all cables now. Very effective. Newer Roo19's should come with the snapless bunks, which will make it a snap to setup and take down.

Seems like the beds ought to expand further since each is 60" (5') wide. Is part of the bed still within the trailer? I would need to measure it, but is the closed length including the tongue, which the front bunk will lay over anyway? Either way, it doesn't really matter because the length of your trailer is short enough for almost any site.

Looking to pull with my '97 Chevy Express with 5.0L v-8 for awhile. Hope to upgrade TV next year. This should be fine, but I encourage you to use a towing calculator. It will help you to learn about the various ratings and what they mean and how they need to be considered. Here's one such calculator. You will also need a weight distribution hitch and a brake controller.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

We have a 19 and we love it. It's only the two of us.

Heated mattresses, furnace and a little electric heater makes it real toasty if needed.

The length includes the hitch, so only the flip-down rear bed adds length, hence only 4 ft...
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
jfg57

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. I did not know about the PUGs, checked it out and seems like a great idea. Answer about the length makes sense. Most camping in the midwest (Ind), so ac and heat would extend the season. AC probably more so since we tend to avoid the middle summer heat with the old popup.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #7

We camped at the beach a lot this year and with the pugs is was great Didn't feel the heat being out in the direct sun and even better kept it dark in the morning longer and the lots slept later
2012 21ssl on the way
2007 Dodge Mega Cab
Plus 4 Four wheelers for added fun!
UsNC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #8

If you will be summer camping in the south, I would strongly suggest the pop-up gizmos or solar blankets to put outside on the bunk ends. I have a 2011 Roo and the poor little AC just can't keep up with the Texas heat in a non-shaded or semi-shaded site. It does pretty good in the shady sites but those are sometimes hard to come by in Texas. I keep the bunk end curtains closed and the blinds closed during the day. The heater and heated mattresses work great. I take a small portable heater to cut down on the propane use. I've camped in 10 degree F and the heaters worked fine and still slept comfortably.

2018 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew Lariat

Previously owned a 2011 Rockwood Roo 19
Aqualight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
jfg57

That Texas heat is brutal, but most of our use will be in the midwest, Indiana, Wisconson, Ky. So sounds like it should be more than capable. Definitely interested in the PUGs. Looked at a 19 up close last week, wife liked it alot, like the extra sleeping for the grandkids and such. Couple of other concerns were hose storage:
Is there a separate storage area for the sewage hose or do one of the cabinet areas have to be used?
I also read in the generic FR TT manual that the propane tanks are only to be refilled, not exchanged- is that true and why?
Why is the bed advertised at 60 x 80, mattress only 60 x 74. Thinking about making some filler pillows for the six inch gap between mattress and side tent wall, the extra 'mattress' would be good.
There is also a little storage area under front bunk that is only accessible from the driver side by the water pump. Can that be a useful space for hoses, etc?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #10

The slinky sewer hose goes in the rear bumper. There is a storage compartment on the rear too that I store the Pugs and power cable in. I put the water hoses for sewer and fresh in separate containers that I keep in the trailer while driving or in storage. I have another long compartment on the right side that holds everything else like ropes, lights, lanterns, walking sticks, broom, bug spray etc. As far as the propane goes, I must have missed that in the manual. I've used exchange tanks with no problems. I'm sure there is a reason why they say not to such as warranty claims. Also note that the sofa and dinette bed aren't really made for tall people. I've slept on both when I had to turtle and I had to sleep at an angle. Not a real big deal though. The mattresses in the bunks are fine. I use a cheap sleeping bag to put under the sheets to add more cushion. I really don't have any complaints with my 19. It came with everything and so far seems to be well made. My partner and I moved up from a pop-up and we couldn't be happier with the trailer. It's also easy to tow and setup with one person. I hope that helps.

2018 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew Lariat

Previously owned a 2011 Rockwood Roo 19
Aqualight is offline   Reply With Quote