Old 05-26-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Roo 19 tongue/battery box mod

There are other similar mods out there, but thought I would show what works for a Roo 19. I installed a 48" pickup truck side mount box on the tongue for my 2-6V batteries and additional storage for weight bars, stabilizer pads, etc. I purchased the box from Canadian Tire and it is quite light - probably 10-15 lbs. Lowe's also sells a similar box. The height is barely enough to fit a pair of 6V batteries. I vented the box (bottom and box using plumbing drain fittings) and installed a switch and fuse. The box is attached using U-bolts from Home Depot. I had to move the tray for the propane tanks about 1.5 inches forward, but it was easy to do. I'm happy that my batteries are now locked and I can store additional dirty items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	78131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	78132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	78133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	78134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	78135  

Old 05-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #2

Looks really good. I am trying to come up with a solution for storing hitch and sway bars on my 23ikss and something like this just may work.

2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Looks really good. I am trying to come up with a solution for storing hitch and sway bars on my 23ikss and something like this just may work.
I'm not sure if any box will have room for a hitch. You could offset the batteries to either side, but with this box there wasn't room to shift them because they would sit higher due to the U bolts. I used the step type box to leave room for the weight bar chain connectors, but depending on your setup, you could try a deeper box.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #4

Nice looking work. I have seen some that take a 2" receiver mount and bolt it to the frame and just slide the hitch into it...Mine just gets tossed under the camper..
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

Thanks yetavon. I like the receiver mount idea. I'm sure I have other room on my back bumper, which would keep the hitch off the ground and out of view from the front of the campsite.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #6

I posted essentially the same mod a few days ago. Using a 48" side box and 2 6 volt batteries. Check out Kobalt tool box - Page 2 - Forest River Forums
Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #7

Captn.Ken - your mod (along with another using a DeeZee box a while back) was my inspiration, so thank you.

How much vertical room above the batteries (to the inside top of the box) do you have with the Kobalt box? I have very little, and had to cut the bottom off my old plastic box to get everything to fit. I kept part of the plastic box to protect the batteries and prevent any shorts to the tool box.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #8

It's hard to tell exactly because I can't crawl in there with the batteries, but I would estimate 1" clearance. On my Interstate 6 volts the plastic cell inspection port assembly is higher than the battery posts. So, the top cannot reach the posts because it will hit the cell inspection caps first. That having been said, I think it would be wise to pit some nonconductive material over the batteries. What if something heavy somehow weighted the box cover and shorted the battery posts? Meaning if a tree fell on the front of the camper you maybe could fix the damage. But it's real hard to fix a burned up trailer. Same thing with tools. It's all too easy to drop a screwdriver on an uncovered battery. So, exercise caution and protect battery posts.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #9

I have the lid from my old plastic box over my batteries and for the reason Captn.Ken states, I would strongly recommend that anyone else also ensure the top of their batteries are protected from the metal box.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #10

Amen, brother.

Tags
battery, roo, modifications