Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #1

Roo 19 water heater

I am a little nervous to use the hot water heater in our new Roo as we have always had pop ups. As I understand, once I hook up to the city water connection and turn the water on I should wait until water is coming out of the hot water faucets. Then I can turn the water heater on-is this correct? Does it automatically come on or do I have to light a pilot? Also-can you just turn the water heater on about 30 minutes before you need the hot water or can you leave it on? Sorry for so many questions but I don't want to burn something out!!
dec1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #2

Yes, it's best to open a hot water faucet, until you get water, to ensure you have water in the hot water tank. Then turn the hot water heater switch on (I assume you have a switch similar to ours) and wait a few minutes until the water is heated. It never takes as long as half an hour to get hot water for a shower, but leaving the heater on 24/7 will waste propane unnecessarily. We turn the hot water on only when needed, then turn it off otherwise. It works fine for us. There's no need to fear the hot water heater.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952 View Post
I am a little nervous to use the hot water heater in our new Roo

is it propane only
or propane and or elect ?

once water is coming from hot side of sinks
turn on your propane lighter switch
then
if you listen next to heater compartment
you should either hear

a clicking sound
this clicking (sparking)
is trying to light the water heater

or
you will hear the sound of flames
meaning
water heater is on

on elect also models
there is an elect switch
located usually on the heater unit
or
inside control panel

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #4

water heater

The water heater is a gas/electric. So once the tank is full do we just turn on the switch inside that says water heater?
dec1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Site Team

you really need to post the model number of the WH.
different brands/models have different features.

as i said in your other post, Roos can come with different WHs. some with DSI, which is direct spark ignition, and some that you have to light manually.

and some have the WH's electric switch inside or outside, depends on the model.

can't give you specific directions, without knowing the model. as far as i know, all Roos have Suburban WHs but some have DSI and some don't.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As long as hw heater is not bypassed can you assume that hw heater is full.

If hw heater IS bypassed you'll still get water out of hw faucet and the hw heater will NOT be full.
Only true way to know is by opening relief valve on hw heater.

As we've found out already this year a valve handle MAY turn but in fact not actually turn internals on or off.

So say you turned valves to NOT BYPASS hw heater as part of your DE winterization process and your hw heater inlet didn't open it may not fill tank but you would still get water out of your hw side of faucet.

Only true way is to open relief valve on hw heater till you get water!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There should be a label as your open the water heater that lists the model number. You probably have the Suburban SW6DE and Dan is right that we need the model to pinpoint the correct lighting process you need to do.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #8

I have a Shamrock 19 2011 - twin of the Roo.

Unless they have changed the model, you have a Suburban.

Make sure you have water, either in the fresh water tank or city water connection, open the taps get cold and hot water running. You may have air in the pipes, but it will eventually settle and a steady flow will come out.

I always light the burners on the stove for a minute or so, to get rid of any air bubbles in the propane lines.

For propane: simply flip the inside switch, it will light up for a few seconds and turn off. Listen carefully you will hear the burner working. That's it, you will have hot water shortly (20-30 minutes I think)

For electric: you have to go outside, remove the cotter pin and flip the lever to get the heater to work off electric instead of propane, you can also use both electric and propane for a quicker delivery.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #9

If you have an elec/gas WH and have shore power, after making sure you have water in the tank, use the electric side. Save your propane for when you don't have hook ups or you need a faster recovery for multiple showers etc.
You need to learn the correct position of your bypass valves so you can tell at a glance if you are in bypass mode.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote