Old 11-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #11

I'm just wondering, to those that are having problems with them staying put, do you have them set too tight and that's why they pop out? Mine are set so they are just snug when I push them in against the rubber seal and so far have never had one work loose.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #12

I am placing mine where the sticker says to on the one side, and the other end is against a 45 degree angled soft rubber seal that isn't possible (at least what I can tell) to make any type of connection. Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
I'm just wondering, to those that are having problems with them staying put, do you have them set too tight and that's why they pop out? Mine are set so they are just snug when I push them in against the rubber seal and so far have never had one work loose.
As I tighten them the end that is resting on the rubber seal walks up ward do to the angle of the seal, so I can not make them tight at all. So maybe it is a design issue or the seal was installed wrong. I am glad to hear that yours are working like they are suppose to but, just keep an eye on your seal and the roof of the slide out incase they become loose and slide around. I don't know how long your slide out is but mine is 12' 7" long, that's about 1/3 of my camper from hitch to bumper and It's more towards the rear and I have two slide locks. I don't know if length of the slide out has anything to do with the amount of shifting allowed in these areas or not which may cause the slide locks to loosen while in tow once they are in place. I do fell safe with out them.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #14

Hello, rockwood06, mine is just like you described. My large slider has 2 slide locks to use, and the bedroom slide out has 1. They are also as you described, with the seal angled. The seal IS properly installed- it is the slide locks that are poorly designed for our particular application. They make a good towel bar, however! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #15

Slide Locks

Our keeps popping out too, and I'm worried about damage to the seal, so we quit using them.

Worm gears are not reversable, meaning the slide wont move out until you apply energy to the motor. I want to place a safety cover over my switch to prevent any accidental contact with it.

Anyone have any experience with starting the slide motor with the locks in place? I'm curious if the fuse blows first or do you start to destroy the side of the trailer or the slide itself.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #16

My suspicion is that "slide locks" are nothing more than a cover-our-ass item to protect Forest River from lawsuits in the unlikely event that a slide pops out while going down the road and causes damage or worse. So that, in the worse case scenario, they can say "Hey, we provided a locking system, you didn't use it, therefor it's your problem, not ours !!" Otherwise, the locks are pretty much useless.

...VTX-AL
Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
My suspicion is that "slide locks" are nothing more than a cover-our-ass item to protect Forest River from lawsuits in the unlikely event that a slide pops out while going down the road and causes damage or worse. So that, in the worse case scenario, they can say "Hey, we provided a locking system, you didn't use it, therefor it's your problem, not ours !!" Otherwise, the locks are pretty much useless.

...VTX-AL
Ditto on what VTX-AL said.

I have never used the slide locks. I don't see where they're needed.

Tags
21ssl, roo