Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #1

Roo 21SS and 21SSL slider locks

We have looked at pictures of 2010 Roo 21SS and 21SSL. We are very curious on what are those slider lock bars for and where do they go. We have seen stickers on the wall above the slide out inside the campers that said "Slide out locks". Do they go inside or outside?

Roo 21ssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #2

They wedge between the wall and slide (above the slide roof) when the slide is closed...for safety if the slide decided it wanted to deploy while traveling. They're real simple to use so we use them, you just have to remember to remove them before extending slide or you'll be replacing some slide molding.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #3

Latner, I have a 2008 21RS and have the slider lock as well. Can you post a picture of where it goes? I thought it went underneath the slider to keep it from bouning during travel.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

EastlakeRoo, the SS and SSL are different than your RS...not sure how they are used on the RS.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ce=roo&nav=rec
Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
Site Team

on the Roo with side slides, they go inside on top of the slide.
there are 2 stickers in ours that show where they go.
and the seal has 2 indentations, under the seal, where the other end of the lock goes.
generally, no matter what i do, one lock is always out after traveling.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #6

Our slide locks also have strings that hang over the front inside area of the slide and have bright orange tags that say something like "Remove before using slide", or something to that effect. Very hard to miss.

Dadmomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #7

Thank you all for the info. Now when we get ours we'll know what to do.
Roo 21ssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Site Team

Chuck S. has a pic on his webshots of almost everything you'd want to see on a Roo 23SS.
here's a link to his pic of a slide lock in place:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...46203164wshooy
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #9

The slide locks on my camper will not stay in place because of the rubber seal on the top of the interior edge. The rubber seal is on an angle so when the slide out is open it seals the top to the interior fix wall. I do not use them at all because when they fall out they damage the floor, cabinets and trim work around the slider. I use them for other things. I have one slide out and that is on the drivers side, while I am towing I keep an eye on things and so far no problems.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #10

They don't work properly on my V lite either. I have 2 slide outs, and haven't had any problems with accidental deployment of the slide outs. They are on a worm drive electric motor (12v), and would have to be energized in order to move; and besides, like you said they just DON'T FIT...they would push the trim off and the seal is angled, so I too see no way of any usefulness for this purpose, at least! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #11

I'm just wondering, to those that are having problems with them staying put, do you have them set too tight and that's why they pop out? Mine are set so they are just snug when I push them in against the rubber seal and so far have never had one work loose.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #12

I am placing mine where the sticker says to on the one side, and the other end is against a 45 degree angled soft rubber seal that isn't possible (at least what I can tell) to make any type of connection. Randy
Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
I'm just wondering, to those that are having problems with them staying put, do you have them set too tight and that's why they pop out? Mine are set so they are just snug when I push them in against the rubber seal and so far have never had one work loose.
As I tighten them the end that is resting on the rubber seal walks up ward do to the angle of the seal, so I can not make them tight at all. So maybe it is a design issue or the seal was installed wrong. I am glad to hear that yours are working like they are suppose to but, just keep an eye on your seal and the roof of the slide out incase they become loose and slide around. I don't know how long your slide out is but mine is 12' 7" long, that's about 1/3 of my camper from hitch to bumper and It's more towards the rear and I have two slide locks. I don't know if length of the slide out has anything to do with the amount of shifting allowed in these areas or not which may cause the slide locks to loosen while in tow once they are in place. I do fell safe with out them.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #14

Hello, rockwood06, mine is just like you described. My large slider has 2 slide locks to use, and the bedroom slide out has 1. They are also as you described, with the seal angled. The seal IS properly installed- it is the slide locks that are poorly designed for our particular application. They make a good towel bar, however! Randy
Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #15

Slide Locks

Our keeps popping out too, and I'm worried about damage to the seal, so we quit using them.

Worm gears are not reversable, meaning the slide wont move out until you apply energy to the motor. I want to place a safety cover over my switch to prevent any accidental contact with it.

Anyone have any experience with starting the slide motor with the locks in place? I'm curious if the fuse blows first or do you start to destroy the side of the trailer or the slide itself.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #16

My suspicion is that "slide locks" are nothing more than a cover-our-ass item to protect Forest River from lawsuits in the unlikely event that a slide pops out while going down the road and causes damage or worse. So that, in the worse case scenario, they can say "Hey, we provided a locking system, you didn't use it, therefor it's your problem, not ours !!" Otherwise, the locks are pretty much useless.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
My suspicion is that "slide locks" are nothing more than a cover-our-ass item to protect Forest River from lawsuits in the unlikely event that a slide pops out while going down the road and causes damage or worse. So that, in the worse case scenario, they can say "Hey, we provided a locking system, you didn't use it, therefor it's your problem, not ours !!" Otherwise, the locks are pretty much useless.

...VTX-AL
Ditto on what VTX-AL said.

I have never used the slide locks. I don't see where they're needed.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21ssl, roo