Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #1

Roo 23 SS heating

So I picked up my Roo 23SS and brought it home in snowy Vermont! The one question I have is in regard to the water heater electric/gas switch. I am assuming that if the camper is plugged in you can turn the switch to electric so the water heater runs only on electric?? Seems logical only I thought it does that automatically when you have the camper plugged in.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #2

Word of caution: make sure the heater is filled with water BEFORE you switch to electric, as I am told that within 30 seconds the heating element will be fried on an empty tank.

On my 19, the heater is on propane by default.

For electric, it has a safety locking pin so that you do not switch to electric too easily. Some have installed a remote, and in some cases lighted electric switch inside to turn it on, so no need to do it from outside.

I always use propane, heating time is shorter and find the cost minimal.

Happy camping.

* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Site Team

I wouldn't put any water in that trailer in snowy Vermont for awhile. I think best to leave the trailer in winterized condition. You shouldn't have to heat it then either.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #4

on my minilite I leave the electric switch on. Like that the heater hardly run on propane saving your precious propane. If there is a heavy demand the water heater will go on gas together with the electric producing much more hot water specially when you use the shower. Like MIatared said make sure that your water heater is filled otherwise the element will fry. . It is a big plus to have the electric option because it is so convenient. On the water heater there is a switch that you can turn off manually just in case you dont need it on electric.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

like the others have said, you have to physically turn the electric switch on, from the outside access panel.
some people leave it on and use the breaker for the WH, on the inside panel, to turn it off and on.
on my 23SS, i find it easier and safer to turn it on, after hooking up the city water and run the HW faucets to make sure the WH fills up.

leaving the electric switching on, with 110v power, will burn the electric element out if there's no water in the WH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #6

I bought the Roo23SS winterized and plan to keep it that way till our first camping trip in May. I was just going over all the manuals and checking out all the features! Thanks for all the information, very helpful. Now it is time to look for the basic accessories!!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
So I picked up my Roo 23SS and brought it home in snowy Vermont! The one question I have is in regard to the water heater electric/gas switch. I am assuming that if the camper is plugged in you can turn the switch to electric so the water heater runs only on electric?? Seems logical only I thought it does that automatically when you have the camper plugged in.
Before detailing my comments, I would like to state that I always heat water with electricity, when it is available. Mostly all camp ground charge the same price regardless of how much electricity is used. Using electricity saves on propane.

On my 2009, 23SS, I have a switch located on the storage cabinet to the left of the door when looking out. This switch controls the automatic ignition of the gas burner. On lower left corner of my hot water heater, I have a switch that controls the heating element.

After connect to my water source, I open the T/P valve to be sure the water heater is filled with water. Then I turn on the heating element by flipping the switch to the ON position. When breaking camp I turn the switch to the OFF position to prevent heating element from being on the next time I hook up.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #8

the trick is to not forget to make sure that the hot water tank is filled up otherwise the element will burn if the switch is left on and the tank is empty. For my part I shut off the breaker inside the trailer each time I am done with my camping trip. Like that if I leave the switch on the water heater it will not work because the breaker is off. It is very easy to make a mistake in this operaTION. wE HAVE SO MANY ITEMS IN OUR HEAD WHILE WE SET UP THE CAMP AND A MOMENT OF INATENTION......BOUM!