Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
Jennifer

Smile roo 232 owners

We are considering buying a roo 232 and I have a few questions for those who own this trailer.

I have read so many post about the weight of the trailer being incorrect on the forest river website so I was curious if you coud give me the actual weight of you trailer after all of the options were added. We have a 2002 Dodge durango with a gvwr of 5950 and I want to be sure that we can actually tow this with our Durango. We have been told by a couple of dealers that we shouldn't have a problem.

Also I am concerned about the length of the trailer. It is listed at 23 ft on the website, but does that include the cargo area on the front? We will definitely get a wd hitch and we have the factory tow package on the Durango. We will probably be upgrading to a dodge 1500 in the next year or so.

Sorry this is such a long post but we are very new to this and will probably have to purchase this trailer w/out seeing one since there are no dealers in our area that carry them. It seems to be a well built trailer and would be great for our family.

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Jennifer and Bobby
bobnjenn0828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #2

Well, I may be of some help. I have a 232 with a 2004 Durango with the 4.7 V8. I beleive the older Durango's were built on the Dakota body, and the 04 and up are based on the Ram. My tow capacity is 5850 pounds. I currently tow with a brake controller only, I don't "need" a WD hitch, but will probably get one down the road, I do have a sway controller which I only use on the highways, and a prodigy controller which I highly recommend. I also use McKesh towing mirrors which are excellent as well. I tow with the Tow/Haul Mode on and she runs pretty good. it works on steep hills, but nothing that is worrying me. I beleive my weight was 4200 off the lot.

The length is almost 30' all said and done, I don't have a problem with the lenght, but the smaller older Durango "may", but I cannot tell you from experience.

Long story short, if I were to do it again, I would not hessitate. We love our 232, I will say I like the placement of the radio in the newest models, but I would not trade mine in for anything else. Feel free to ask any question you would like.

I also put a bike rack on the front deck for a couple of bikes, it works real well. Here are some pics...

http://picasaweb.google.com/mule0001
mule0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Jennifer

Thank you so much for your help!! I may have some more questions before we put a deposit down!

Thanks for posting the pictures. I can't wait until we have some to put up too. We are actually going to be carrying a motorcycle on the front of ours, but a bike rack would be good for when we don't have the motorcycle.

Jennifer
Old 08-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #4

If I remember right, the deck has a capacity of 850 pounds. How heavy is the motorcycle. Mind you, your max weight towing only includes you in the weight. If you add on any other family members, 2 full tanks of propane, battery, any fresh water you might carry, and all of your "stuff" you may be over your weight maximum. Just keep a very close eye on your weights.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Jennifer

We will be sure to watch the weight. The motorcycle weighs ony about 500 lbs so it is not a very big one.

Thanks for all your help!!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #6

I have a 2004 nissan Titan with a 5.7 l V8 and a gvwr of 6300 lbs. it has the air bag levelers from when I used to have a slide in camper. I have towed three times now localy with no problems with sway or bounce. Top sustained speed was around 68mph with no cross winds. I also have not loaded my bike on the deck yet. When I do I will let you know how it works out.
stryder54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #7

Hey Stryder54, I am contemplating on getting a Titan or an Armada (probably the Armada since I like the SUV). How do you like it? I am happy to hear it tow's nicely, I just wonder what it would be like without the airbags.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #8

Sorry I did not respond sooner, we have been busy . Unfortunatly not camping. I love the Titan, but the 2004-2007 have undersized front brakes. I had them repaired twice undre waranty and it is out of waranty now so I installed EBC high prefomance brakes and rotors. Supposedly the 2007 and newer Titans and Armadas have larger brakes on the front now. Also the 2004 had over temp issues with the rear diferential, they replaced that on 2005 models. The seals on mine leaked but they were repaced under waranty. Even with these issues I still love the truck. It rides,handles, and tows great. The best part was the price much cheaper than the big three. I used to be die hard GM till I had three vehicles 1998-2002 all develop intake gasket antifreeze leaks. They knew they had a issue and chose to not to re-engineer it.
stryder54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo