Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #1

Roo 233 quality

I currently have a crappy 2017 roo 183. Its amazing how low the build quality is and how foreat river has eliminated any possible step that wont catch them within a year.

We really want a 233ikss for a bit more space but im leary of buying another forrest river anything after this are they all this crappy or am I just lucky

Here is a partial list of issues
1)the grab bar by the door has pulled right out
2)one of the max air fans no longer has 4 speeds
3)tent end seals were leaking when closed
4)no primer on the steps causing the paint to peel off in big sheets
5)bathroom door is loose screws were not properly set
6)the tongue jack failed inside of a year
7)plug for fan/light for tent ends was broken
8)paint of vent hood above stove is bubbling in spots
9)stove had bad gas valve for oven
10)some cosmetic issues with counter tops but im being picky
11)both propane tank hoses or leaking replaced on my self about 7 months in because it was only $20 and not worth the warranty claim
12)had to replace the 2 front stabilizer jacks (partial user error) but the new BAL ones are superior to what was there.
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou80 View Post
I currently have a crappy 2017 roo 183. Its amazing how low the build quality is and how foreat river has eliminated any possible step that wont catch them within a year.

We really want a 233ikss for a bit more space but im leary of buying another forrest river anything after this are they all this crappy or am I just lucky

Here is a partial list of issues
1)the grab bar by the door has pulled right out
2)one of the max air fans no longer has 4 speeds
3)tent end seals were leaking when closed
4)no primer on the steps causing the paint to peel off in big sheets
5)bathroom door is loose screws were not properly set
6)the tongue jack failed inside of a year
7)plug for fan/light for tent ends was broken
8)paint of vent hood above stove is bubbling in spots
9)stove had bad gas valve for oven
10)some cosmetic issues with counter tops but im being picky
11)both propane tank hoses or leaking replaced on my self about 7 months in because it was only $20 and not worth the warranty claim
12)had to replace the 2 front stabilizer jacks (partial user error) but the new BAL ones are superior to what was there.
Items in red not manufactured by Forest River.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Items in red not manufactured by Forest River.
Im aware. Still Forrest River using the lowest quality parts available
Old 05-31-2018, 04:44 AM   #4

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....You're sure it's not a 2007 !!!

I've never heard of an Hybrid with all these problems in the first year!
Do you know how much money you will lose by selling it ?
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Geezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....You're sure it's not a 2007 !!!

I've never heard of an Hybrid with all these problems in the first year!
Do you know how much money you will lose by selling it ?
No i don't know what im going to loose but im optimistic it's only going to be in the $5,000-$7,500 range

Yes im sure its a 2017, late august will make 2 years of ownership
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #6

We have a 2015 23IKSS and have been very happy with it so far. (I hope I did not just jinx myself). Of course there have been a few minor issues; kitchen sink drain leaked, side window did not open properly, and a few other minor items. The only major issue were the fresh water tank supports, which I ended up "fixing". My guess is the QA at Forest River is not the best, especially now that they are manufacturing at full throttle. Sometimes you have the best assembly team that has plenty of time to do it right, and sometimes.... you don't.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #7

I don't think the quality issues are FR branding alone. FR and others buy from mostly the same suppliers and OEM manufacturers so quality control there should be equal at all RV assemblies. Cruise the other branding forums and you will see everything from glowing reviews to horror stories. The lack of quality control isn't there because they don't have to. Ride through a camp next time you are parked and see how many rigs older than 3 - 5 years old you see. Somebody is buying these things left and right and dealers don't have need to offer anything extra or give a flip about it because people are standing in line waiting to buy. Some places on the weekend if you want to just look, you have to have an appointment they are that busy. Demand is so high they can't keep dealers supplied. Look at all the people just on this forum telling of their months and months waiting for an ordered Rig.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #8

I think we all have become RV mechanics, remodelers and fix it shops. It isn't worth the hassle to make a claim, drive hundreds of miles in many cases, just to leave the RV for a month or several just to get some warranty work done.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I think we all have become RV mechanics, remodelers and fix it shops. It isn't worth the hassle to make a claim, drive hundreds of miles in many cases, just to leave the RV for a month or several just to get some warranty work done.
Agree!! I think that buyers going into their purchase expecting perfection are doomed to be disappointed. RV manufacturers could certainly do a better job with better quality parts and assembly, but we all need to realize that these are houses on wheels and issues are inevitable.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post

Totally agree. We live in Maine, bought our 23ws from Haylett in Michigan, and they delivered it.

Do I care about the warranty.........Don't want to brag, but my work will probably be better than Forest River, because I will pay attention to what I'm doing.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Totally agree. We live in Maine, bought our 23ws from Haylett in Michigan, and they delivered it.

Do I care about the warranty.........Don't want to brag, but my work will probably be better than Forest River, because I will pay attention to what I'm doing.
I know my work will be way better. I remodel houses for a living. I know that nothing is ever perfect and issues are inevitable
that being said there is no excuse for things like not usung primer on metal parts or failing to properly attach a safety grab bar.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:11 AM   #12

It's a factory and campers are built quick to supply the demand. One week, they work on one type of camper, and the next, another type........workers have to adjust for different campers, and problems occur.
I don't think you'll be out of problems by picking a 23IKSS........or any brands for that matter...... might be better, might be worst.

My opinion.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #13

If you look at all the purchased components in a camper, it is pretty easy to start adding up how much variation can be present in one camper. I'm not excusing quality issues, but I understand how many hundreds or thousands of people need to do their job right to make a 100% perfect camper.

Some issues are not acceptable (i.e. water tank supports sagging), and some are understandable. But I think so much quality has disappeared cuz customers chose cost over quality too often.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
We have a 2015 23IKSS and have been very happy with it so far. (I hope I did not just jinx myself). Of course there have been a few minor issues; kitchen sink drain leaked, side window did not open properly, and a few other minor items. The only major issue were the fresh water tank supports, which I ended up "fixing". My guess is the QA at Forest River is not the best, especially now that they are manufacturing at full throttle. Sometimes you have the best assembly team that has plenty of time to do it right, and sometimes.... you don't.

I have been really impressed with the build quality of our 2018 23IKSS. Ours is still just under 1 year old but so far no problems after 12 trips. We took a big risk and bought ours site unseen from RV Wholesalers and had it shipped to us in Texas. There was no PDI since it was a transport company that dropped it off at our house. Our salesperson assured me that they do their own PDI before shipping. I was very skeptical but we took it out for the weekend the day it was delivered and everything worked. I didn’t have to adjust or re-screw, nail, staple or glue anything. Maybe RV Wholesalers really did everything in a typical PDI or we just got lucky. Ours was custom ordered and built in September so maybe that is a good time since it’s after the peak summer months. This is our second Roo and the build quality is so much better than our 2011 Roo 19. Our 19 had the overhead kitchen cabinets pull out of the wall on the first trip.

2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26FKBS
2018 Ford F-150 Super Crew Platinum

Previously owned a 2018 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Aqualight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #15

Roo 233 quality

I have a 2018 233 Rockwood Roo and I have had a few issues. The maple freezer panel fell out. It was easy to put back on my I assume it will fall off again during transit so I will look into securing that better. Also my hot water tank is leaking on the out line pex fitting. I will be cutting this and changing it to sharkbite to fix. A couple other minor things but nothing major yet.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:50 PM   #16

Thanks for all the replies, Seems hit or miss quality but overall not that great

Tags
233, quality, roo