Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #1

Roo 233S, bent/warped, lower bed rail over cabinet

Hi,

I own a 2018 Roo 233s bought this past march and used 3 times so far and love it. I just noticed that my rear two beds seem to have the bed rail that sits on top of the wooden cabinet seems to be bent or warped up off the cabinet! Can't figure out why or what would cause this. The outside hinges seem fine. There has never been much weight in these beds, never more than one person, no kids bouncing, etc.

I've attached pictures of the front bed which is still in new condition. First pic is a bit farther away, 2nd is up close to where lower rail sits on cabinet showing no gap. 3rd pic is of bed that has the issue, farther away. 4th is up close showing gap that has shown up between rail and wooden cabinet! THIS GAP is what is new and I can't understand how it got there.

Any thoughts?

I plan on bringing in for warranty repair but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goodwide.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	183314   Click image for larger version

Name:	goodclose.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	183315   Click image for larger version

Name:	badwide.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	183316   Click image for larger version

Name:	badclose.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	183317  
TST Tire Monitor Tow/Trailer
Wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #2

Someone recently posted something similar, but a quick search was unable to find it. You might want to do some further searching. Use the search field in the teal bar at the top of the page.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

That is actually just a plastic cover for the tenting material, check the metal rail underneath to confirm.

Our 233s is in at the dealer for bed bunk door hinges bending from weak rivets and the bunk door corners separating from not being welded.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #4

My 2019 Roo 233S back bunk also has this gap between the cabinet and railing...the two other beds the railing is flush across the cabinet as Wprather pictures show.

How is this fixed under warranty? Does this require the whole bunk bed to be taken off and would this be considered a major repair that would take a significant amount of time?

I am wanting to claim this repair under warranty also but am needing any information on what needs to be fixed and how to do it so I can explain it thoroughly to my service dealer when I drop it off.

Thanks
jandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandg View Post
My 2019 Roo 233S back bunk also has this gap between the cabinet and railing...the two other beds the railing is flush across the cabinet as Wprather pictures show.

How is this fixed under warranty? Does this require the whole bunk bed to be taken off and would this be considered a major repair that would take a significant amount of time?

I am wanting to claim this repair under warranty also but am needing any information on what needs to be fixed and how to do it so I can explain it thoroughly to my service dealer when I drop it off.

Thanks
Mine is still in for repair. I talked to them yesterday. FR has approved so far just 3 hours to investigate and possibly re-bend the bent parts. I told the shop mgr that I thought the inside parts were not really the problem, that possibly it was related to the hinges as one other person mentioned above. He said they would find out when they took it apart, at this point they don't know what the cause or solution will be. I will keep you posted, they were supposed to start work soon.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #6

Well, not so great news. My local shop said that forest river approved three hours to repair. The local shop said they had no idea how to fix it and forest river replied with no help. Sadly my local shop did not go back to Forest River and ask for additional help. They decided that the best way to fix it was to bend the bent parts back as best they could and call it a day. When I saw this, I said that this was totally unacceptable. They tried to say that forest river had not approved anything else, but when I asked if they had asked if they could replace the parts or get additional help, it was clear that they had not asked any of that. In the end I told them I would call forest river and tell them what happened and ask for additional recommendations on how to help and then we could move forward. It looks better, but I am concerned that they have not addressed the cause of the problem! I will be calling forest river this coming week and will update again as I have new information. I was very disappointed in my local shops effort. The shop manager, after my serious dissatisfaction, said yes we should have done a better job. No ****. Of course during all of this, my rig was at their shop for over a month, because they fired their shop manager and a new guy came in, that I thought was reasonably good, and I still think he might be, but he didn’t handle this very well.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #7

After leaving a few voice messages, and waiting a bit, I got a call back from Forrest River Warranty. A wonderfully nice women called me, apologized for the delayed response, and we talked for about 30 mins. She was VERY interested in helping me get my repair done correctly! She agreed that the dealer had NOT done the repair correctly! She wasn't sure exactly how to fix it correctly but said that they were doing a building a run of 233s's right now so she was going to go down tomorrow and show the manufacturing people AND the engineers my photos of the warping and see what they thought was the CAUSE. The she said they would absolutely approve the repair and/or replacement of whatever was required! It was a very refreshing call and one that to be honest I'm not sure I expected. Still to soon to claim victory, but at least it was nice to get someone from FR/Rockwood on the phone who was VERY interested in helping resolve my problem!! Stay tuned....
Old 11-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #8

After FR talked to production and engineering they agreed that the dealer should have replaced the bent parts and added screws to strengthen them. They approved this for additional repair. My dealer is now ordering the parts. However, the bad news was the production and engineers at FR said they were worried that it might happen again and they had NO recommendations for how to prevent it or for better solutions. I said "well wouldn't that be a design flaw", silence on the phone! Oh well, so I will just go with full part replacement, added strength and I will oversee the repair to see if I can see any additional thought for how to strengthen the area during the repair.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:07 PM   #9

How did the repair go? My 2018 23IKSS is doing the same thing on the rear bunk. No noticeable change outside but the rail inside is definitely bowed up and bent looking at one end. The front bunk rail is level and looks fine.

2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26FKBS
2018 Ford F-150 Super Crew Platinum

Previously owned a 2018 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Aqualight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #10

The parts are in but I have not had time to bring in my trailer to get in fixed yet, bringing it in the next few weeks. I will post an update as soon as it's complete.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #11

I had the same issue with my 2017 IKSS. I took it in and the technicians didn't know what to do. While I was there the delivery truck brought in a brand new 233S. The technician and I opened up the bunk ends and the back and side bunk were not flush to the wood only the front bunk was. At that point I assumed it was designed that way and have never given it a thought since then. I have had no problems other than the black plastic twisting.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #12

How did the repair go? Just discovered that our 233S Roo is doing the same thing on both back beds. Would love to know how the repair worked out.
Koyotelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:56 AM   #13

Good timing, I finally got progress at the shop. But it went bad! Forest River sent out complete new bed assemblies to replace my side and rear beds. The entire frame and canvas assemblies. The shop took out the old ones and installed The new ones. And unfortunately the new ones came bent up, just like the old ones ended up after nine months of usage. I was extremely disappointed and annoyed. It took me seven months to get the shop and Forest River to send these new units and get them installed and they were absolutely no better than the bent ones! At this point I am giving up, and I will be installing half round wood floor molding to cover the gaps. The only good news is that I was there in the shop when they took the assembly apart and so I got to see what was under there and what was causing the bend. The canvas was too tight and there are no screws holding the bottom of the bed frame to the wall. So when you lay in the bed the canvas pulls tight and causes the inside frame to bend up. The new units that the factory sent did have screws going across the bottom frame of the bed unit holding it to the wall so that should stop it from sagging when used. But unfortunately the New ones were already bent up. The good news I guess is that this is just a cosmetic issue and not structural. If you’re having this issue I suggest you have your shop add screws along the bottom frame of the bed frame unit to the wall. As I said I’m disappointed that after seven months the new parts they sent or not as my originals were because I think the new screws they added would have stopped the problem from occurring again, but at this point since I understand what caused it and it’s not going to be structural, I’m just going to add the half round floor molding and MoveOn. I don’t have time to deal with Forest river and the shop any longer. A complete waste of seven months of my time. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #14

Wow! Sorry to hear all the troubles you’ve had! Thank you for sharing and saving us all the hassle, we’ll look into alternative solutions. We didn’t think it was structural, since we had a Jayco hybrid, that had Velcro flaps there instead, that covers the slight gap between, and kept it dry there. Thanks again for the detail!
Koyotelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #15

I spent some more time talking to the shop foreman, and he showed me the old parts and talked about comparing them to the new parts. And talked about what forest river told him. Forest river told him that’s All the new trailers are being shipped with these rails bent up as mine ended up. And in looking at the new parts I agree with them. As installed brand new on my trailer these parts are already bent up! The foreman went and looked at a brand new Rockwood 233S and guess what, they are bent up! And does not look good! The shop foreman and I think they are now using The same part from the Front bunk lower bed frame assembly for the side and back ones. But that will not work because the front bunk side wall is the angled. If you use that part you it will end up with it pointing up! We think they are using that to cut down on parts and cost. Oh well.

Tags
233, 233s, bed, bent, roo