Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #1

Roo 233S - Is officially mine!

We got back late last night from RVW. I must safe the DW and I "are not happy campers". We left on Friday night after work with kids in tow to head to Ohio to pick up our new 2012 Roo 233S. We crossed the Canada/US border at Detroit and spent the night in Toledo. We woke up refreshed on Saturday with only a short trip to RVW in Lakeview OH.

Our reception at RVWs was warm and friendly.
But then things started to go wrong.

We had to wait over an hour for our scheduled pick up time. Ok they were busy with a lot of pickups. Maybe that was a good sign that they were busy.

Then we got to our walk thru.
Well because of this forum i was armed with some pre-knowledge going into the walk thru. Thank you to the many forumites and their numerous posts.
They let us walk around it by ourselves for a few minutes before the official walk through and I did notice some pluses right away.
* The unit does have a battery disconnect
switch
* The entertainment system is a Genesis
* Everything seemed to be there.
* No obvious signs on water under the sinks or around the water heater
* The electrical seemed fine

Then the official walk thru (I will save the worst for last)
* The genesis would played the radio fine but it would no find a CD or DVD. We brought a CD and a DVD from home both store bought from a reputable store U2 CD and Lord of the Rings DVD. Both would start loading and then "No Disk Found" error
* Then the bunk ends were opened and two of them were soaking wet and the third had evidence of water damage. On closer inspection there was rust stains along the screw heads at the bottom edge and rust stains on the fabric. This had been leaking for a while. The worst part was the sloppy silicon job all the way around the bunk ends on the outside anywhere fabric met the body of the unit. I do not know if that was done at the factory or at the dealer but it look like to me that someone was trying to remedy a leak.

RVW did do the right thing once I pointed it out though with no fight. They said early one they got a bad batch of Roos with this problem but that they thought they caught them all.

They offered:
1. We could take it as is and they would arrange with a local shop to have it fixed.
2. They could sent the unit back to the factory and have all 3 bunk ends replaced. Time 2 to 3 weeks
3. They could give us another unit on the lot which they had none but there was some on order. Time ??

We chose option 2.
Were we nuts.

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
Previous Trailer -> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post

They offered:
1. We could take it as is and they would arrange with a local shop to have it fixed.
2. They could sent the unit back to the factory and have all 3 bunk ends replaced. Time 2 to 3 weeks
3. They could give us another unit on the lot which they had none but there was some on order. Time ??

We chose option 2.
Were we nuts.
Sorry to hear this Barney. That's definitely not the start that you wanted. Doesn't RVW open these trailers before pick-up to check for problems?

Option 2 - sending it back to the factory - was definitely the way to go.

Option 1 is chock full of risks unless you have a very good local shop. I think this would have been a mess.

Option 3 would have taken longer than the 2-3 weeks that the factory needs to make this right.

The stories I have read about sending the unit back to the factory have always ended in good results. Can they deliver it to your house in Canada when completed?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #3

You made the right choice.

There was a near identical post on another forum this week so apparently yours wasn't the only leaking ROO 'they didn't catch'. That poster was from Cincinatti and said RVW agreed to deliver it at no extra charge. It boggles the mind that they (RVW) don't inspect these trailers before the purchaser arrives on site.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #4

With the number of complaints about this dealer, maybe others should reconsider using them? It sounds like they do more volume than they can do properly. We found a family-owned dealer that matched the best price we could find, and they were awesome to deal with.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #5

I would demand 1 of 2 things at this point from dealer or FR. 1 free delivery to you Or 2 reimburse for travel to pick up. Or at least credit on the sale. There screwup not yours
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

Thats truly a shame. So much for saving any money. Not the first time I've read of this happening with RVW. Are they delivering the new/repaired unit to you?
I agree with other posters.....they have gotten to big for their britches. Appears they are not staffed to handle the amount of units they move. Its very evident they did not open or inspect your unit prior to your showing up. Great job on your part catching this stuff BEFORE you drove it off the lot.

Hopefully 2nd time will be a charm.

Good luck.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

@Triguy. Thanks! Actually i think they do check the trailers before pick. In fact, they say they do; the person who was doing the walk thru with use mentioned a few times how they had done this or that just befoe we got there. Like check the lugs for torque or burn the factory oil off o lf the stove). I just do not know how thorough that check is.
I think option 2 was the way to based on stories on this forum.

@ibrjet and Triguy.
Yeah I read the post about the Cincinnati poster problems. Sadly RVW said before I could even mention it that the would not deliver the unit to Canada or even the border. Do you think I could still play hardball and demand they do. As it looks now I will have to burn another tank and half of guys pay for another hotel stay and a few restaurant meals to pick on a 2nd trip to Ohio.

@crocus
I am going to reserve judgement now on RVWs.
They seem to be trying to fix the problem.
The fact that they are doing such a large volume means they are going to get a larger volume of issue units on their lot. Also people do tend to complain before they will praise. How many units have gone through RVW without any issues??

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #8

@kingranch. Thanks maybe I will play hardball.

@Koodog Thanks

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #9

Oh man Barney that sux!. It sounds like they are gonna get it fixed, but still that's a major let down. Not to mention the distance traveled.

I have less that 2 weeks before I drive the 450 miles out there to pick up my Roo 19. My unit was completed in mid-Jan and been stored there since, so I hope the recent terrible weather out there hasn't been adding to a major leak problem.

Do you think it might be smart to ask RVW to go and look at my unit before I drive out there? Do you think they would?

I'm wondering if it's these new "attached bunk ends" that are the problem. Or maybe when they are doing the PDI they are not sealing it back up properly.
WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
BC: Ram OEM
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Roaddog, good idea and perfectly rational to ask them to open the trailer and the bunks to check for issues before you get there.

I think they would be happy to oblige if you explain your concerns.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s