Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #1

Roo 233S - No power

On our last camping trip I pulled a boneheaded move. The trailer harness got wrapped up in the anti-sway bars and I ended up pulling the wires out of the harness when making a hard right hand turn. I rewired the harness according to my vehicle and plugged it back in. I had brakes but no lights. I doubled checked the harness wiring again comparing my truck to the camper and it is wired correctly. It seems now that all power is off. The trailer will not run on the battery, but the tongue jack will operate off of the battery. I'm not sure of shore power works, since I don't have 30AMP service at my house, yet.

I figure that when the wires pulled loose, they shorted out a fuse. I checked all the fuses inside the trailer and nothing is blown. I have looked at the fuse block from the battery to the trailer, but I do not see a "reset" button for that fuse. Am I missing something?
RoadBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #2

Have you seen this?

If so press the little black button.

If that is not it then is there a kinked or bulged spot on the cable?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #3

I think all you can do is trace each wire to check all inline fuses and to make sure that a ground wire did not get pulled off or something.

You should also check (with volt meter) various points of the trailer to see if power is getting to some areas and not others. It is just a slow process of checking everything.

Good luck.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

On battery, there is absolutely no power at all. I thought I chased all the wires, I'll have to crawl under there again tonight. Thanks for the help.

And yes, all the wires pulled out of the trailer harness, ground wire included.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

Ok. Then a fuse is blown.

Can you get a 12V power tester and follow the + lead off the battery? Poke the positive wire along its length to ensure there is power in the wire. Once you get to the place with no power, you know the problem is between the two spots. You then track that down.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

Roo 233S - No power

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #7

I'm assuming you've got power coming from your tow vehicle.

I suspect this is your problem, assuming the wires you pulled out are on the trailer harness: The wire colors Rockwood uses in their trailer harness aren't the same as what is normally shown for trailer wiring as in the link below (i.e., left turn isn't yellow, right turn isn't green, tail light isn't brown, etc), so if you tried to rewire it as in the link, it won't work.

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

I have the colors for the turn signals and tail lights written down, but unfortunately it's in the trailer, which at the storage lot. I DO remember that white is still ground, but left turn, right turn and tail lights don't match.

Maybe someone else has the colors handy.

You could try feeding +12VDC to each wire in the junction box under the trailer, with -12VDC to the white ground and see what lights up on the trailer (left, right, tail). Then put that color back in the correct place on the trailer plug. (There will be two sets of colors that have at least one larger gauge wire and 4 or 5 other wires all connected together with either a large wire nut or a large pigtail splice. One will be the white ground and the other will be the battery, whatever color it may be, hopefully red. The lighting ones will all be smaller gauge wires, probably connected with pigtail splices.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

Just to follow up on this...

First, the fuse block had to be reset. After that, still no power to the trailer lights. After a moment to collect my thoughts, I checked my fuses. All 4 fuses to my trailer harness were blown. Replaced the fuses, and everything worked.

Thanks for the help all!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #9

PHEW! guess that means the fuses did what they were supposed to and protected you from melting things down when all the wires shorted out! Happy to hear it all returned to normal!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, power, roo