Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #1

Roo 233S Walk Thru Advice

Hello!
So I finally take delivery of my 233S on Monday and have a 2-3 hour walk thru planned with the dealer.

I have a basic "PDI" checklist to work through that I got off the forum but am curious if any of you 233S owners have any specific suggesstions to what I should keep an eye out for. Are there any issues you are currently having you feel you could have prevented if noticed during the walk thru?

Any advice is warmly welcomed.

Kindly,
Steph
Nights camped in 2012 - TBD
stephs2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Team

one suggestion is to make sure all the "systems" work.
plumbing, electrical and so on.
we made the mistake of not having the dealer pressurize the water system.
the first nite on our way home with the new trailer, the outside shower valves blew off, because they hadn't been tightened.
i had to rig the plumbing so it bypassed the outside shower but we only had cold water for the rest of the trip.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your PDI list will help the most, I think. Its easy to get distracted and forget some of the systems or items during the excitement of the walk-though. I agree with Dan - Every system needs to be demonstrated - both for your knowledge and to make sure they work as expected.

Very Important: Take your time and do not be in any kind of a hurry. The best case scenario is that everything works. More likely, something needs to be repaired. Try to have them do this right away. If too many systems are problematic, do not sign the paperwork to take possession until the items are repaired. This is important as you will have better and faster service now than at any time in the future.

A few items to pay special attention to are:

Bunks: They should open and close the bunks for you and show you how to make sure there is no canvas caught between the bunk and the seal when closed. This error is a big reason new hybrid owners get leaks in my opinion.

Bunk latches: Make sure all of the locks in the latches work and are not loose. We replaced two of these locks in the first few months because they fell out of the latches.

Water systems: They should have pressurized already to check for leaks.
Check under the sinks, near the water pump and around the water heater for leaks. We're still dealing with a slow leak under our kitchen sink. Make sure, when running the pump, that it pressurizes and then stops running and does not run again until you open a faucet. If it comes on without running the faucet, then you have a leak somewhere or possibly a shower head is not shut off.

Make sure that they do this on both city water and drawing from the FW tank and that you run all faucets, both showers and the toilet.
Make sure that they walk through how to winterize if you intend to do this come fall. Take notes. You will forget some but their lesson will come back to you at the time you need it.
Water heater: Have them demonstrate how to run off both electric and on gas. There is one switch on the heater itself and another on the panel. The heater needs water in it of course.

Fridge: The fridge controls seem to throw some for a loop. Pay attention to how to run on auto vs gas alone.

Stove: Have them actually light the stove for you. It can be touchy.

Bleeding lines: Tell them to show you how to bleed the lines through the stove top as that is useful to correct problems that can arise with the water heater, fridge and oven/stovetop.

Propane switch: Make sure you know how to switch between propane tanks as needed.

Electrical: Have them show you the breakers and fuses both within the converter under the fridge and the ones that are in line under the trailer and tongue. These cause some people difficulties if they don't know where they are and you need to know how to replace or reset as needed.

Radio: Bring a CD and/or DVD and run the radio through its paces. Make sure that the two inside and two outside speakers are working - mine still have a problem.

Jack height: Have them raise the power jack, assuming that you have one, to its highest point and then have them mark that with an indelible marker. You do not want to go over this mark.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Your PDI list will help the most, I think. Its easy to get distracted and forget some of the systems or items during the excitement of the walk-though. I agree with Dan - Every system needs to be demonstrated - both for your knowledge and to make sure they work as expected.

Very Important: Take your time and do not be in any kind of a hurry. The best case scenario is that everything works. More likely, something needs to be repaired. Try to have them do this right away. If too many systems are problematic, do not sign the paperwork to take possession until the items are repaired. This is important as you will have better and faster service now than at any time in the future.

A few items to pay special attention to are:

Bunks: They should open and close the bunks for you and show you how to make sure there is no canvas caught between the bunk and the seal when closed. This error is a big reason new hybrid owners get leaks in my opinion.

Bunk latches: Make sure all of the locks in the latches work and are not loose. We replaced two of these locks in the first few months because they fell out of the latches.

Water systems: They should have pressurized already to check for leaks.
Check under the sinks, near the water pump and around the water heater for leaks. We're still dealing with a slow leak under our kitchen sink. Make sure, when running the pump, that it pressurizes and then stops running and does not run again until you open a faucet. If it comes on without running the faucet, then you have a leak somewhere or possibly a shower head is not shut off.

Make sure that they do this on both city water and drawing from the FW tank and that you run all faucets, both showers and the toilet.
Make sure that they walk through how to winterize if you intend to do this come fall. Take notes. You will forget some but their lesson will come back to you at the time you need it.
Water heater: Have them demonstrate how to run off both electric and on gas. There is one switch on the heater itself and another on the panel. The heater needs water in it of course.

Fridge: The fridge controls seem to throw some for a loop. Pay attention to how to run on auto vs gas alone.

Stove: Have them actually light the stove for you. It can be touchy.

Bleeding lines: Tell them to show you how to bleed the lines through the stove top as that is useful to correct problems that can arise with the water heater, fridge and oven/stovetop.

Propane switch: Make sure you know how to switch between propane tanks as needed.

Electrical: Have them show you the breakers and fuses both within the converter under the fridge and the ones that are in line under the trailer and tongue. These cause some people difficulties if they don't know where they are and you need to know how to replace or reset as needed.

Radio: Bring a CD and/or DVD and run the radio through its paces. Make sure that the two inside and two outside speakers are working - mine still have a problem.

Jack height: Have them raise the power jack, assuming that you have one, to its highest point and then have them mark that with an indelible marker. You do not want to go over this mark.

Scott, spot on advise!

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #5

Have them demonstrate the hitch hookup .... especially the weight dist set up if you have one...
I have a WD setup with the bars and chains....and I still am not confident I am doing it right...(which link to hook onto)
When we have axles replaced coming up I am going to have them show me.
braddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

Also...If there is anything that you want (full propane tanks, dinner plate set for 6, tripod stand for cooking over fire, or any other "freebies" you should get) get it before you accept.
And you should get something... you are already paying for it.... LOL
braddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddaddy View Post
Have them demonstrate the hitch hookup .... especially the weight dist set up if you have one...
I have a WD setup with the bars and chains....and I still am not confident I am doing it right...(which link to hook onto)
When we have axles replaced coming up I am going to have them show me.
Brad, my experience with my dealers is that they only know the WDH well enough to install and maybe not even well enough to install correctly.

What type of WDH do you own - Reese Dual Cam? If so, I can point you to a couple of great tutorials.

I suggest that you read the manual and learn how to adjust the links and the tilt of the ball to fit your particular situation or start a thread asking for advice for your setup. Pictures help.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s