Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #1

Roo 23IKSS Heater Vents ?

Has anyone spliced in a new vent for the front using the furnace we realized there are only 2 vents one in the back by Frig and one in the bathroom?

I want to add one up front if possible but have no place to run the heater hose so trying to see if anyone else did this?

2014 Ford F-150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB 3.5 Twin Turbo

2015 Roo 23IKSS Saphire
2015 (3) Nights Camped

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #2

I am interested in what you actually figure out. I do wish that FR put a vent on the wall by the dinette. The one in bathroom I like because I hate cold feet and cold floors but it can get a little toasty if you keep the bathroom door closed for to long. I know that you and I live in two different weather environments when it comes to using the heater, but I have found out that as long as I am running the front bunk fan that the two vents are adequate during the cold months.

2015 Roo 23IKSS
TV: 2004 GMC Sierra
BMFLYFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Old Ram Guy

I'm also interested in how you might run another vent to the forward area. The only thing I came up with was running a heating duct hose under the floor, but that idea seems to present a few obstacles. I ended up purchasing an Envi Heater (Wall Mounted Panel Heaters | Best Wall Mounted Space Heater | Wall Mount Room Space Heater). It works pretty well so far; thanks for the tip on running the front bunk fan.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #4

We have the 21DK and looking at adding one under the dinette or over on the front left side in the water filter cabinet.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #5

We did some cold weather camping last fall and found that electric space heaters worked well and saved on propane. Using the furnace can burn through a lot of gas. We setup a baseboard heater along the dinette side of the island it did a pretty good job of keeping out the chill. I do agree that having another heating duct towards the front would be nice.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #6

I have been toying with the idea of tee-ing off of the bathroom vent tube (under the shower pan) and then running that line through the back of the vanity and out through the wall in front of the dinette - which would be exposed only when the slide is deployed.

There is very little space to work with under the shower pan and under the vanity, you'd have to do some trimming to gain access and clearances - but I think it could be done.

The drawbacks (in addition to the high hassle factor):
1. That you are still only getting heat to the back end of the dinette area and not all the way to the front of the trailer.
2. You would need to be able to close off the new vent if you ever used the furnace when the slide is in, as the new vent would be blowing really hot air right into the side of the slide - no bueno, and possibly a fire hazard!
3. You'd be splitting the airflow between two vents. I'm not sure if "unbalancing" the system would have any other deleterious affects or not.

I actually looked at this a bit today as I was eyeballing that space under the vanity for another mod. But then I realized, I'm in SoCal, I don't need to worry about better heat for 6 months!
Martingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #7

If I was not so worried about running a line in the basement and having condensation issues as well as really not knowing what is down there I would but after looking at the setup yesterday I think I will just get a small 4-6" space heater and plug it in on top of the sink counter facing front and use it to supplement the furnace only bc we do like having a warm bathroom in the cold especially the GF who sits to use toilet

I just don't get why FR did not think of this but after reading the specs on the furnace, I am not sure it has capacity to push air all the way to the front and that would be a wasted setup.

2015 Roo 23IKSS Saphire
2015 (3) Nights Camped

Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
We did some cold weather camping last fall and found that electric space heaters worked well and saved on propane.
we have one that DW found at a thrift store for $10 , 2 heat and 2 fan settings with a thermostat, and its used as the main heat source and does a great job, could blow you out of the PopUp. Considered mounting it the front water filter cabinet.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #9

Yeah Walmart and Target are having end of season sales so may be able to get a decent one fairly cheap

2015 Roo 23IKSS Saphire
2015 (3) Nights Camped

Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #10

Space heaters are great - when you have 110v. We are always dry camping without hookups so not an option for us.

We have a little buddy propane heater but I think that would cause way too much condensation in a HTT. Worked great in our PUP though.

I think the ultimate set up would be to have heater vents that fed directly into the bunk ends and were thermostatically controlled from within the bunk ends. I don't really see a need to heat the whole camper just to keep the sleeping areas warm at night. And vice-a-versa once you are up and moving for the day.

Adding a vent to the back bunk should be easy as the furnace is right below the bunk. The front one... we're back to the same challenge.

If I was going to route an air tube under the unit, I would consider running it all the way up the front door-side storage area and see if it could be routed in a way that you could use a rotating duct to direct the air into either the bunk or into the main cabin.
Martingale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, roo, vent