Old 01-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

Roo 23ikss Questions

We're considering this camper. When folded up-is there room for bikes to store inside while trailering. Also, do the mattresses stay in place or do they get tossed onto the couch when closed? How has everyone's experience who own this unit been? With a dodge 2500, do I need a equilizer hitch? Sorry for a lot of questions in one post, but thanks for the replies.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome! I'll try to answer, but mine is a 233S. Still, it should help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbpe View Post
We're considering this camper. When folded up-is there room for bikes to store inside while trailering. We carry up to five bikes in ours using the walking areas. However, knowing you have an island in the middle-rear and seeing pics of your unit buttoned up, you will only have the area in the front. You could also consider an ARVIKA bike rack on the front of your trailer.

Also, do the mattresses stay in place or do they get tossed onto the couch when closed? Our mattresses stay in place. They are designed this way and I believe yours are this way, as well. We use memory foam on top of the mattresses and these are taken off and stored on the table while travelling.

How has everyone's experience who own this unit been? There are owners of the ikss and hopeully will be around shortly.

With a dodge 2500, do I need a equilizer hitch? Probably want to. What are the specs for your truck with and without a WDH? Check your owner's manual for weight carrying vs weight distributing ratings.

Sorry for a lot of questions in one post, but thanks for the replies.
Its good to ask these things upfront so glad to hear you are doing your homework in preparation. Have fun!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Last spring we upgraded from a pop up to the Shamrock 232ikss and are very please with it so far. There is room inside to carry a few bike depending on how you do it. The slide that contains the table and couch will give you the best storage are if your willing to lay the bikes on their side. Covering them with a blanket or something would help. Without the bikes secured they will move. We did this a few time but eventually securely mounted a receiver for a bike rack on the rear frame. (please do not make this thread about it) Depending on who you talk to you will get a wide range of comments. Personally I have no regrets.

As for the mattresses they do fold up and store on the ends without having to remove them. The rear mattress stays in place better than the front. The front tends to lean into the trailer a bit but the table/couch slide keeps it from falling to far. Some people have opted to use a bit of memory foam on the mattress to make it a little more comfortable. Depending on how thick you use it may make a difference on how the mattress folds. You will find that when folded down door tends to lay a little lower than the body of the trailer so there is a little slope to the front of the mattress.

The island make a big difference because it give you somewhere to prepare meals without having to reach under the cabinets normally over the counter space. We added a couple of stools around the island and it makes a great place to sit and have a coffee in the morning while you watch the news.

You will find the dining table a little wobbly but a few well placed corner brackets will stiffen it up enough to use without it dancing around.

Weight distribution is always a benefit no matter what you are towing with. We used a F150 and test towed the trailer at the dealer without one. It sagged a bit but was manageable. After the purchase we had the dealer install the one we used when we were towing the pop up with a minivan.

Overall we have been very please, there have been some minor issues but the dealer has been great with all of it.

Hope this helps any other question don't be afraid to ask.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #4

We bought the 23ikss in June of 2013 and love it. We pull ours with a Dodge Durango with a 4.7 V8 and it seems to handle it fine. There is enough room to the rear of the island counter for maybe a full sized bike or at least a couple of kids bikes and to the front of the trailer there would be enough room for 2 or 3 full sized bikes if you wanted them inside. I would worry about getting grease from the chains on the bikes on everything though. I did what Engauge did though and mounted a 2" receiver on the back and use the bike rack that I used with the popup camper that we had. I would get the weight distribution hitch set up if I were you because it will make towing easier.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCS View Post
I did what Engauge did though and mounted a 2" receiver on the back and use the bike rack that I used with the popup camper that we had.
just be aware that FR puts a sticker on the bumper warning NOT to do this and you'll void the frame warranty if you do.
this is a very hot debate issue and the bumper is NOT strong enough to handle the flexing that the bikes and rack will do to the bumper's cheap thin welds.
UNLESS you had the receiver welded and braced to the frame, which will still void the frame's warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
RKR

Here's my sticker on my '13 Chaparral Mid Profile
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1390713097.059612.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	45395
Old 01-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbpe View Post
We're considering this camper. When folded up-is there room for bikes to store inside while trailering. Also, do the mattresses stay in place or do they get tossed onto the couch when closed? How has everyone's experience who own this unit been? With a dodge 2500, do I need a equilizer hitch? Sorry for a lot of questions in one post, but thanks for the replies.
We upgraded from a popup to the 23IKSS last spring and we absolutelty love it! With everything folded in, you could still fit bikes between the island and the front of the camper. Or, search on here for a thread about "Roo bike mod" It was a really nicely done mod to take the cushions off the dinnette and mount bike racks to the underside of the wood which was flipped over during travel. Or, we use a bike rack that fits over the receiver hitch - between the tailgate and the tongue.

As for the hitch question - maybe out of ignorance or sheer excitement when we bought the camper, the dealer included the hitch and the install with the price, so we just signed on the dotted line. What we got was a Pro Series hitch with friction sway control. Its pretty much the entry level (i.e. low cost) hitch. Didn't know any better at the time, but in hind sight, it works great. We towed the Roo over 3,000 miles this summer with our half ton truck. No issues at all. With the friction sway control, you do need to pull the cotter pins and take it off to back up, but not a huge deal. With your 2500, my opinion is you don't need an equalizer, but I know they do get a lot of positive comments.

Even with our popup, we had one slide-out, and we said we wouldn't buy a camper without one, but with IKSS, now we wouldn't buy a camper without 2 slideouts. The counter space and the storage in this thing is great, and just the roominess, its been perfect for us.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #8

The receiver tube I used is 4 feet long. Have two 2" square tubes welded to it going across the I beams of the frame and bolted through the beams on both sides of the center web in two places, one as close to the black tank as possible and the other to the rear as close to the stabilizers as possible. Also a 1/4' thick angle iron piece welded to the tube under the bumper and U bolted around the bumper with 2 U bolts. The bike rack has nuts welded onto it that have bolts to lock it down tight when in place so there is no wiggle to it what so ever when in place. Our 2 bikes are both aluminum frame one so they are not all that heavy. Bikes get bungie corded with a total of four bungie cords and are secure (no movement to them). Worked this way for fourteen years on the back of our popup camper with sometimes 4 bikes with steel frames with no problems. Hope to not have any problems with the setup on the Roo.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

RCCS, that's the way to do it, just hope you don't have any frame issues in the future.
i'd of done it when my frame warranty expired, but my bikes cost $1000 each and i like to have them where i can see them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #10

cant say enough great things about our 23ikss! even a 10 day trip ti disney with 5 kids was enjoyable wit this camper lol!

Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo