Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
Originally Posted by Ccovello View Post
Thanks for all your good information. Any other issues with late fall camping?
I agree with what everyone has said about the 23IKSS. I just bought my 23IKSS so I have not camped yet in the fall with it, but my camping season here in Alabama does not start until fall and we camp through late spring until the bugs and mosquitos get to bad. We changed from a pop up to this camper, but we would camp regularly with the temps ocassionaly in the low teens and we did not have any issues. Depending on the outside temperatue I would sometimes to have to crank up the heater after cranking up the pop up to warm the tenting material before I extended the beds. I would have to keep the air circulating as well. As long as I kept the air constantly circulating in the pop up with a combination of the bunk fans and the heater, we never experienced any condensation issues. I also had to blow the water lines out after each camping trip so the pipes would not freeze. I am expecting to have to do the same three things with this camper, only now with a lot more room and comfort.

Thanks Everybody!

2015 Roo 23IKSS
TV: 2004 GMC Sierra
BMFLYFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
We got our 2015 Shamrock 23IKSS about six weeks ago and absolutely love it. We are a family of five and all three kids are teenagers (18/16/14). Mom and dad get one bed, the girls get another, and my son gets the air bed. Living and storage space are great. I do wish it had a U-shaped dinette, but other than that, we are very happy. The island makes it a very usable kitchen and storage space is terrific. This is our first RV, but we were tent campers for the last... well... let's just say a very long time. We opted for a hybrid because we liked the small package while towing, but the large amount of space once we setup. We also enjoy hearing the crickets at night and the birds in the morning.
The beds do need some sort of mattress topper, and once we added that, we sleep great. I've also done a bunch of the mods in the shower that others have posted to make it very usable.
I have the same model as you and am thinking of getting the mattress toppers. Which ones did you go with? I think these are the short queen beds and can't seem to find the right sizes anywhere. What thickness did you get?

JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
We got the toppers at a store called Aldi. It is a grocery store but they have other seasonal items that they sell throughout the year. Since it is back to school season, they had pillows, toppers, and lots of storage gizmos. We ended up getting a bunch of things for the new HTT that have worked very well. The toppers that we purchased are 3" and we got them in size full. The length is perfect and they are only maybe 2-3"short on the sides which is fine. They are flat (not fitted) but have wide sturdy straps on the corners that secure them to the mattress. I think they are part gel foam and part fiberfill. Whatever it is, the beds are very comfortable now.
I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #14
This is our second season with our ikss and we still love it. The room you have once its setup is great and we have yet to fill up all the storage areas. Some people complained about bathroom access with the trailer closed up but we have no problem, we just leave the table in the sleeping position and walk over it. Speaking of the table DW found that the table in the down position makes a great coffee table in front of the couch and adds a nice seating area where the table was, the coffee table is great for games snacks whatever. And the heated mattresses allow us to extend our camping season; coming from tent camping to the ikss has been great.

Myself, DW and two teenage boys
2006 F150 Super crew Lariat 5.4 Triton
Factory HD tow, WDH, Prodigy brake controller
2014 Rockwood Roo 23ikss
stardrive is offline   Reply With Quote