Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

Roo 23RS Rear Slide Motor Mount

I have seen a couple of other threads related to this issue, but the forum tells me I am unable to reply to those because of the age, that is why I am creating a new thread.

I have the issue on a 2009 23RS where the motor for the rear slide just pulled right off the wall. This happened last summer and I had a mobile repair guy come help me out. He mounted a steel plate where the motor sits, making sure it was screwed into the aluminum frame, then mounted the motor back to that. It held until last night when the whole thing pulled off again.

I am looking for info from other people who have had this issue. What was your fix? Did it hold? Can you send pictures, please? I am thinking of basically the same fix as the first time, but with a much larger plate that covers much more of the rear panel. Perhaps some type of wooden support coming from the floor as well to help hold that motor in place when it torques. Also have wondered if going right through to the outside and having another plate on the exterior would be a good idea?

After seeing this issue and how the motor is mounted from the factory, I cannot believe this is not a bigger known issue. How did it hold as long as it did in the first place? Seems like a pretty lousy design that should not have even made it to manufacturing.

Mike
MikeSiewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

I can't give you any similar experience, but it almost sounds like something is keeping the slide from moving, so the motor tears itself off. Are you lubricating appropriately? Is something interfering with free motion of the slide?

Someone on the forum had 25RS and the slide actually fell out!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Thanks for posting a response. Good questions. The question regarding obstruction is a good one, I have been storing a folding table on the folded down table, under the slide. This time when I put the slide out, I almost felt like maybe it had got in the way, but it happened quick before I really knew it and didn't see what happened there. I don't really feel like this is the issue, because I know it was not stopping the slide on previous take in, take outs, and the motor was already starting to pull off the wall again. The slide is big and heavy and I feel like it is just the sheer amount of torque required combined with a crappy mounting system that is the cause.

As for lubrication, thanks for mentioning that. I have had the trailer 3 summers and no I have not lubricated. Now that you say it though, any idea where I can find information on where and how to lubricate the slide? I also do not feel like this is the root cause of my issue, the slide has displayed no issues going in and out as long as the motor is doing its job properly.
MikeSiewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

I'm not familiar with the slide mechanism on a rear slide, so I can't help you with how to lubricate it. If you can find a name on it somewhere, you might be able to google it and find something online.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23rs, mount, roo, slide