Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

Roo 23WS

I am not seeing much on this site about owners of the Roo 23WS hybrid. Are you out there? How do you like the unit? Problems?
I am picking up my new unit in two or three weeks. Can't wait. I'll let all of you know how it goes.
delaware dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Site Team

The 23WS is a revamped 23SS, which has been around since 2006.
Since it's a new model, there haven't been a lot of 23WS owners yet.
We do have a few here though.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #3

I just spent a full season camping in a 23ws and I must say it is AWESOME! We had a wonderful time camping in it and LOVE the floor plan! I have done many mods and some folks on here have done even more, do a search and I think you will be surprised. I feel you have made an excelent choice! Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #4

Yep, we are here. Congratulations on yours, we absolutely love ours. The floor plan works well for us. we did remove the back bedroom door, just did not like it with the bathroom door right there and it made getting back to the wardrobe when the slides are in very difficult. Hung a curtain in its place.

We had a water leak at the front bunk when it was closed, an adjustment to the door latches resolved that.

The fridge cabinet panel warped and bowed out pulling out the staples (heat related??) will be going to the dealer for that in November.

Recommend that you get popup Gizmo's (pugs) tent end covers, they really help with temperature regulation for those tent ends and keeps them cleaner.

We have gone on 11trips with it towing 1700 miles and are very happy with it.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #5

gizmos

I have been reading a lot about gizmos for the end beds. I plan to get them. Where is the best place to order them?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
I have been reading a lot about gizmos for the end beds. I plan to get them. Where is the best place to order them?
I believe there's only one place:

PopupGizmos

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #7

Rockfordroo is correct. I just called them and ordered, they already have the measurements for the 23ws, and the gizmos were shipped right out. Arrived as promised.
I got the Velcro added, it is only the fabric side that he puts on, you provide the hook side. I found it at Joanne's Fabrics.

You are not too far from me, I hang out here in Baltimore and camp in PA, NY, MD, and VA. Maybe we will see you around a campfire one day.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I believe there's only one place:

PopupGizmos
If you're handy, you can make your own from the 5x7 sportsmen/all-weather blankets.
You'll have to sew an extra section to the front one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:14 AM   #9

I'm also a 23ws owner, and we just finished our first season with it. Absolutely no complaints about the unit. The only booboo I found was a leak from one of the faucets in the bathroom....five minute fix.

The bedroom door at the back has never been an issue for us, and it's total privacy in there. We're only my wife and I, and I don't know if it would be the same with a family. I'm sure at some point the two doors would hit each other when opened....but I personally don't think it's a reason to remove one of them.

As for mods, I think between Mainframe and I, we did everything possible in our 23WS. I'm still looking and I'm sure someday I will find something else to do in there.

Have fun
Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaware dave View Post
I am not seeing much on this site about owners of the Roo 23WS hybrid. Are you out there? How do you like the unit? Problems?
I am picking up my new unit in two or three weeks. Can't wait. I'll let all of you know how it goes.
We love our 2017 23WS. However Rockwood's overall build quality and fit and finish leaves a lot to be desired. We took delivery the end of April after a total fiasco ordering from the factory and receiving a total POS the first time around. It actually took a little over 6 months for us to get one due to that.

The fresh water tank started falling out on the way home from PDI. LCI who made the frame and tank supports was no help whatsoever. All they wanted to do was complicate and drag out the repair/warranty process. They are a terrible company. I ended up making my own supports. The flimsy water tank was also jammed in tight to the underside of the floor. If you filled it too much it would actually arch the center of the floor up. When I made new supports I left some space above it.

Both roof vents eventually leaked because Rockwood jammed the Maxxir vent covers into the fresh sealant around the vents on the assembly line. Over time due to wind movement the vent covers opened up holes/small cracks in the perimeter sealant.

The fridge and microwave both crapped out on the first trip. Other things that have just fell apart or broken could fill a small novel. We have used it 60+ nights since April and over time the issues have become less and less due to repairing and rebuilding as time went on.

This is our 2nd new FR trailer and we have had 2 new Thor trailers. The Thor trailers were not perfect by a longshot but were a lot better built than either of the FR ones. This will be the last FR trailer we will ever buy. Rockwood has been great with parts and support but most of the issues should of never been there to begin with.

Take a good selection of tools camping. You are aware that the 23WS is now discontinued? Its now supposedly the 24WS, and has the dinette and sofa in the slide the same as the 23IKSS. I assume to use parts common to multiple floor plans such as the slide.

Good luck with yours
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #11

I feel bad for you Havercamp......Didn't accept the first 23WS and ended up with another lemon.
The weird thing is nobody on this site has major problem with theirs......That's what you call bad luck !
I wouldn't say the 23ws is discontinued. They just made modifications to it and called it 24ws. The basic is still the same.
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
I feel bad for you Havercamp......Didn't accept the first 23WS and ended up with another lemon.
The weird thing is nobody on this site has major problem with theirs......That's what you call bad luck !
I wouldn't say the 23ws is discontinued. They just made modifications to it and called it 24ws. The basic is still the same.
I wouldnt call it a lemon. The weird thing is every Roo or Shamrock I have a chance to look at, at dealers or campgrounds, has the same issues. Deflecting tank supports, maxxair covers pressed into the vent sealant, sloppy fit and finish etc etc etc. Perhaps the people you mention received special units? It has nothing to do with luck.

I looked at an Artic Fox last weekend. In house made frame, hardly anything from Lippert, was a night and day difference from anything I've seen from Rockwood or FR as far as that go's. Sure its a little more money but you get value out of it. Probably my next trailer and maybe sooner rather than later.

The 24WS is more than a few modifications. It has a full height deep slide, has a higher ride height due to a dropped A frame design like the IKSS. The biggest problem is FR's dependence on LCI and Furrion garbage. The new Roos are coming with Furrion radios which are junkier than the IRV LOL.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I wouldnt call it a lemon. The weird thing is every Roo or Shamrock I have a chance to look at, at dealers or campgrounds, has the same issues. Deflecting tank supports, maxxair covers pressed into the vent sealant, sloppy fit and finish etc etc etc. Perhaps the people you mention received special units? It has nothing to do with luck.

I looked at an Artic Fox last weekend. In house made frame, hardly anything from Lippert, was a night and day difference from anything I've seen from Rockwood or FR as far as that go's. Sure its a little more money but you get value out of it. Probably my next trailer and maybe sooner rather than later.

The 24WS is more than a few modifications. It has a full height deep slide, has a higher ride height due to a dropped A frame design like the IKSS. The biggest problem is FR's dependence on LCI and Furrion garbage. The new Roos are coming with Furrion radios which are junkier than the IRV LOL.
Had to pull the Maxxair cover off my Mini Lite a week ago. Same issue - it was pressed into the vent sealant. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if most every camper has this issue.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Had to pull the Maxxair cover off my Mini Lite a week ago. Same issue - it was pressed into the vent sealant. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if most every camper has this issue.
They used those attachment points that are molded into the flange of the vent itself. The way to repair it is to cut the covers out of the lap sealant. Then you clean up the sealant real well with denatured alcohol and float A New bead of self-leveling over top of all of it. Let that set up for about a week. Go online and buy a set of the metal brackets for the max air cover that attach with bolts through the side of the vent housing. Now your cover is attached above the sealant the way it should be. The reason they use those molded attachment points is because it's cheap and fast.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:52 PM   #15

Roo 23ws

Soooooo sorry to hear your problems with the 23ws. I will try and be very careful with my purchase inspection before leaving the lot. Based on what I read on the forum we all have to be handymen to keep these units on the road.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:28 AM   #16

Wow didn't know they already changed the floor plan....sounds like nice changes. My 21dk was the most solid and reliable camper I have owned over the 2 seasons I had it. Not one single issue and fit and finish was spectacular. My r-pod has a dozen issues. I really think it just comes down to luck of the draw...but most people have had good experiences with the roo.

Tags
roo