Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Roo 25RS vs Outback 250RS

We are interested in upgrading our TT and are researching these two trailers:
2012 Rockwood Roo 25RS
2012 Outback 250RS

Virtually the two are the same floorplan, but looking for your opinions and feedback! How do these two compare to each other?

I want a u-dinette slide and full bathtub for the kiddies. We are expecting babe#3 so will use the sofa for his/her tent (Kidco Pod).

I also love that this trailer has two doors - one for quick access to the toilet and the other to use when kids are sleeping!

What would be some issues to watch for? Leaking around slides?

Much appreciated!
snowflakemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflakemb View Post
We are interested in upgrading our TT and are researching these two trailers:
2012 Rockwood Roo 25RS
2012 Outback 250RS

Virtually the two are the same floorplan, but looking for your opinions and feedback! How do these two compare to each other?

I want a u-dinette slide and full bathtub for the kiddies. We are expecting babe#3 so will use the sofa for his/her tent (Kidco Pod).

I also love that this trailer has two doors - one for quick access to the toilet and the other to use when kids are sleeping!

What would be some issues to watch for? Leaking around slides?

Much appreciated!
There's an Expandable/Hybrid section on this forum a couple of sections down from here. You'll get more answers there.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I moved the thread to the Roo subforum.

Although the 25RS is quite a bit different from a traditional hybrid Roo, it still qualifies as an expandable because of the bed slide.

That's a nice floorplan in either model. I note one major difference is that the Keystone is about 1,000lbs heavier fully loaded. This could be a make or break depending on your tow vehicle. In fact, its dry weight is 1,000 more, too, so this should be a consideration for you.

Issues to watch out for will be the same as with any TT. This one essentially has two slides so seals and slide motors are important. I assume because they are 2012s that you are buying new so the warranty should cover these things if they should fail.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #4

I forgot to add in my pm to you that my sister has an Outback 250RS. I think theirs is a 2011 model. Its a great camper as well but they paid quite a bit more for theirs then we did for our Roo. Some things are slightly better quality but not enough to make me want to dish out the extra money. Theirs also doesn't have the power jack and entertainment center like ours but it does have heated tanks. They don't camp past October though so its not needed.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Site Team

unfortunately, Outback sells way more rear bed slide models, than FR does.
almost all the Roo owners here have hybrid Roo's, not the rear bed slide Roo's.
i would say less than 5 members here have the hard-sided bed slide Roo.

since you are comparing a non-FR model with the Roo, you might want to check out RV.net's TT forum.
i've seen much more rear bed slide model comparisons there.

but Outback is the #1 selling brand of that type of TT. they offer the most choices of any other brand, of that kind.

all i can say is look at an Outback and compare it to a Roo/Shamrock, even if the Roo/Shamrock is a hybrid. both types of Roo/Shamrock are built on the same assembly line, in the same factory.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

I was looking between the Outback (21RS) and Roo (23RS) myself in my shopping for a near future purchase. The killer for me was the 1000lb difference.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
kwillmott

Stay away from the hybrids and there is so many issues with leaks in the bunk ends and once water damage is done it is hard to get it fixed.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwillmott
Stay away from the hybrids and there is so many issues with leaks in the bunk ends and once water damage is done it is hard to get it fixed.
No problem with leaks in our three bunks.

We've owned several trailers from a pup and small TT along with our current Shamrock and have borrowed a few others to camp in. Water intrusion can be an issue with any trailer and its a poor decision to condemn all hybrids. Also, I wonder if you have read through any other threads on FRF, Rv.net, etc? When you do, you'll notice that ALL brands and all types have customers who reported leaks. You'll also notice that many people are happy with theirs. Sorry about your troubles, but you're in the minority.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwillmott View Post
Just an FYI the units the poster is asking about arent hybrids. They have 2 slide outs that are hard sided.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
kwillmott

I would stay away from anything made by Forest River. We have a 3 year old travel trailer with 3 bunk doors that is a complete moldy mess and the factory was supposed to restore it actually put moldy pieces if wood back in making us sick during our trip. They do not stand behind their workmanship and I have found many other Roo owners with leaking bunk doors that either leaked while they were closed or open.

We had it shipped to them being told it would be all fixed and spent thousands on shipping only to get it back smelly and still moldy. They actually used some of the original moldy wood and screws - great way to treat a customer that bought 2 products from them in 4 years.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #11

At a glance,
The Outback has larger bunks, more storage in the bathroom, more counterspace, and a bike door. Not sure if the rear bed still requires supports and manual pull out, or if it is a power rear bed slide like the Roo.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #12

I was really interested in an Outback toy hauler with the king bed slide, but read so many negative reviews from owners that I passed this time around.
PawPawJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
kwillmott

This is our second Forest River product and we had leak issues with both. First the tent trailer and now the travel trailer.

Tags
25rs