Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

Roo 2nd year warranty and 7 year extended warranty

Hello All,

After extensive researching and looking at travel trailers we finally purchased a 23ss. We won't get to pick it up until the first part of July due to an already planned vacation, but what a relief that whole researching, looking ordeal is over.

My dilemma is whether or not to buy either the Forrest River 2nd year extended warranty or the 7 year extended warranty that the dealer offered.

The Forrest River 2nd year warranty cost is between $150- $200 through Forrest River, I haven't made contact with the Forrest River Rep. to pin down the exact cost yet. The 7 year warranty offered through the dealer is from Protective Asset Protection and is the 84 month XtraRide Plantinum Coverage. I have done a little research on the XtraRide Coverage and it looked like people were very satisfied with it. The cost for the XtraRide Coverage was quoted at $1695.

Has anyone had any good or bad first hand experiences or opinions on either of these extended warranty options? I'm thinking at the very least that we should get the 2nd year Forrest River warranty and although the coverage that they offer with the XtraRide looks pretty thorough I'm not 100 percent totally convinced that I should get to get it.
KonaIslandKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

My opinion - you can't go wrong with the FR 2nd year. For the Roo, its $150. Especially here in the northern climate, you buy a camper in the spring, use it for 4-5 months, then winterize it. With a 1 year warranty, its either out of warranty or close to it when you pull out the next spring. That's a pretty tight window to find any issues.

And in our case, first trip out this spring got 10 miles down the road and had a tire tread completely separate from the sidewall. Since we "bought" at the rv show in Feb with a foot of snow on the ground, we would have been out warranty. FR covered the tire under the 2nd year, so I almost got my $150 back right there. Now, its been 2 weeks and still no tire yet, but that's another story...

On the 3rd party warranty - no personal experience. Depends a lot on how long you plan to keep the trailer. One thing I have heard is that some extended warranties don't cover water damage. So leaks or delamination problems may not be covered. Those are big ticket ticket repairs if they were to occurr.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Kona, the FR 2nd year warranty is a no-brainer, GET IT!

i'm not a fan of 3rd party warranties. many of these for RV's, don't cover the really expensive things that happen to RV's, like delamination or roof damage.

all the expensive things, like the roof membrane, appliances, a/c, tent canvas, axles, and so on, have their own separate factory warranties.

and if there are issues with the trailer, most will show up within the first two years.

we never bought any warranty other than FR's 2nd year one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Kona, the FR 2nd year warranty is a no-brainer, GET IT!

i'm not a fan of 3rd party warranties. many of these for RV's, don't cover the really expensive things that happen to RV's, like delamination or roof damage.

all the expensive things, like the roof membrane, appliances, a/c, tent canvas, axles, and so on, have their own separate factory warranties.

and if there are issues with the trailer, most will show up within the first two years.

we never bought any warranty other than FR's 2nd year one.
Ditto. Before finding out about the second year warranty from FR I also wondered about getting the extended warranty for peace of mind. The second year coverage gave me peace of mind and I didn't look back.

This is a personal choice. Read the fine print to find what the extended warranty covers and what it doesn't cover. Afterwards decide what is best for you.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM   #5

Thanks for all of the replies. Before I started this thread I only had the brochure that the RV dealer gave us that described an overview of the 7 year extended coverage, it did not describe in detail everything that was covered or any exclusions. I contacted the dealer and he faxed me the coverage booklet pages that show everything that is covered, I'll have to look it over to see if the items you guys mentioned are covered or not.

We kept our tent trailer for over 20 years and I believe we'll most likely keep this trailer for a very long time also... at least that's the plan for now .

Oh, another couple of things that I found out is that the deductible for the 7 year coverage is $100 dollars, $75 dollars if you bring the trailer back to the place of purchase for a repair. So instead of $1695, if I had a claim it would raise the true total cost of coverage by the deductible amount, which is another thing to consider with this 7 year extended warranty. The dealer said that when using the 7 year coverage warranty all that is necessary is to give the repairing facility the membership card, a call would be made and authorization and payment for the work to be performed is completed immediately right over the phone,(I was told they give them a credit card right over the phone to make the payment). The repairing facility would not have to wait for authorizations or wait for the monies for the work and parts that would be repaired or replaced, which I think is a major problem with many other extended warranties.

I'll have to really think this over, I just see the $1695 plus dollars staring me in the face and it really turns me off. Kind of like paying for car insurance....something you really don't see a benefit for until you actually need it!

Thanks again for all of your input.
KonaIslandKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Take The Road Less Travld

We have the 7 year extended warranty on our Roo. It seems very basic. It won't cover things like seals or regular maintenance items, but appliances were the selling point. If the fridge goes out. It's covered. And that pays for itself. So it really depends on wether or not you want to take a shot. Now I haven't had to use it yet. I'm sure that's another story when and if it happens.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, warranty