Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #1

Roo and Bears

We are planning to take a trip to Great Smoky Mountain National Park this summer and plan on staying in the park probably in Elkmont or Cades Cove. Last time I was in bear country was in Yellowstone in a popup and we kept nothing in the popup that could attract bears.

The Roo has so much more stuff (food, toiletries cooking) that we use in the trailer compared the to the popup but still has soft ends. What do hybrid owners do in GSMNP. I know that we can turtle up but certainly not the most comfortable.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Well, we've camped in our Roo, at Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier and Grand Tetons.
never had to turtle and just followed standard bear policies.
Rangers said that refrigerated and frozen food were fine, since the fridge/freezer is airtight.
Other opened food went in bear box, along with toiletries that smelled, like toothpaste.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
rbq

Having been to Yellowstone many times in a PUP and now in the Roo we have never done much different there than elsewhere. Since the PUP didn't have a fridge we had to keep the cooler locked in the back of the van with the stove, but everything else stayed in the trailer & we have always been fine. Since I do most cooking outside on my Camp Chef stove it gets put back in the back of the truck inside the shell. If a bear wants to get in it will find a way regardless of what you are in. This past summer we had a bear here in Utah almost claw through the door of a travel trailer & there was a very frightened family inside banging pots & pans, jumping up & down to try & make noise to scare the bear. Didn't really work. Eventually the bear left.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
Having been to Yellowstone many times in a PUP and now in the Roo we have never done much different there than elsewhere. Since the PUP didn't have a fridge we had to keep the cooler locked in the back of the van with the stove, but everything else stayed in the trailer & we have always been fine. Since I do most cooking outside on my Camp Chef stove it gets put back in the back of the truck inside the shell. If a bear wants to get in it will find a way regardless of what you are in. This past summer we had a bear here in Utah almost claw through the door of a travel trailer & there was a very frightened family inside banging pots & pans, jumping up & down to try & make noise to scare the bear. Didn't really work. Eventually the bear left.
The story.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...F9OWA2rkb2mEuQ
Old 01-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
rbq

Just as a side note to my earlier post. Rangers are very alert to bear activity in the park & especially around campgrounds. About 10 years ago my daughter needed some time off from work & school & asked us to go to Yellowstone. I made reservations at Bridge Bay campground. While resting one afternoon I noticed several ranger vehicles go through the campground & stop just around the corner from where our PUP was. I went out & asked what was going on. They said that a bear had walked through part of the campground & they wanted to make sure that he kept going. So not much, but they do watch wildlife activity, especially around campgrounds & anywhere traffic comes to a standstill due to unusual activity.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #6

OK, I give up, what is a "ROO"? I've had 5 TTs and never heard of a "ROO". Please educate me. I think I've figured out the rest of the abbreviations, but not "ROO".
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
OK, I give up, what is a "ROO"? I've had 5 TTs and never heard of a "ROO". Please educate me. I think I've figured out the rest of the abbreviations, but not "ROO".
Trailer by Rockwood.

Rockwood Roo Expandable Travel Trailer

Tags
roo