Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Roo & RV/Narrow King Mattress

Has anyone replaced there factory mattress with a RV/Narrow King mattress?

The Roo has a Queen (60x80) mattress, but it looks like there might be enough room for the RV/Narrow King (72x80). I am sure the mattress will be pushed against the tent ends but that might be fine.

Our Coleman Popup has Sunbrella tent ends and we have never had an issue with pillows and down comforters being pushed up against the tent ends when it's raining.

But I remember our canvas cabin tent when I was a kid. If you touched the canvas while it was raining it would just pour water through the canvas where you touched it.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

Your Roo mattress will be hinged lengthwise so you don't have to remove it to close up the bunk ends. Many have posted about memory foam toppers instead of replacing mattress. We still use the original mattress since our trips are normally only a few days and we can deal with them short term.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Thanks jjing46,

I am fine even with a standard ThermoRest pad, so the mattress will be a plus for me. The wife on the other hand.... In our Colman Popup we have the stock 4" foam mattress, 2" foam topper, and a 4" fiberfill pad. The wife likes to double up the 2" foam pad under her as I don't care. Even then she is still shopping for additional pads?

Moving to the Roo I am thinking of making the investment in a 8" Denver Mattress euro top RV King mattress to avoid all the mattress toppers. The mattress is $400 and I currently have at least that invested in pads! The Popup the beds slide in, so the height of the beding is the only issue when bring the roof down.

With the Roo being a fold up beds, I hate the thought of all those pads all over the place!

If I go the route Denver Mattress route it won't be hinged, but the new 23IKSS have a bath wall or entertainment center to keep the mattress in place while traveling.

I am just wondering if there is the additional 12" for the width of the King size or restricted to the Queen size?

I would mod or remove the rear shelf if needed.

Happy wife happy life!

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
rbq

The bed deck my be 80", but the mattress is only the size of an RV queen--60x74. Have allow room for the cables that are attached to the deck.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

I might need to wait until I can pull the camper to the Denver Mattress factory warehouse to see what will fit.

I forgot about the cables.

RBQ thanks for the reminder

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

I think there have been a few cases of the tent ends separating from the bunk deck. Having a mattress that is too big might put enough pressure on the tent material to cause it to pop out of the groove.
Best plan is as you said - wait until you have it to measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #7

Just for giggles I measured my actual stock Roo mattresses. They are both 57" X 72". Sooooo, using a queen air mattress in my front bunk gives me and extra 9" of width because the entire bunk space, including the wood "shelf" in front of the bed is 66" . And I get an extra 8" of length because the bunk platform is exactly 80", like the air bed. We feel no "bump" where the bed meets the main body of the HTT either. Just another observation for all of us looking for a more comfortable night of sleep. Now I even get more space too!!

P.S. This is an excerpt from my "great air mattress experiment"

So based on the entire measurement of usable space from the end canvas to the very end of the wood platform in our front bunk, you would not be able to use the narrow king. The back bunk is exactly 60" X 80"

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

SewingCyberMom,

I had your review book marked a few weeks ago! I read it to my wife and it made her feel better. She was glad to know she was not the only one out there wanting a better mattress.

We will be exploring a standard mattress along with the air bed. I would agree with your findings, as we currently use an AeroBed at home for a secondary bed for guest.

Our current model is too tall for a bunk, but we will start with your findings to compare with a standard RV mattress to which works for her.

The AeroBed does seam like a better storage option.

Again thank you for your hard work and extensive review!!!

Erik

Sent from iPhone 6S on Forest River Forums
Old 11-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

we too have been trying to find comfort, I learned when were doing reenactment and sleeping in canvas tents, that using two sleeping bags zipped together creates a mattress topper feel, I put it under the mattress pad to help keep it from moving unless it is going to be cold them we sleep in it and use the comforter as a padding. We have recently tried a air bed, the first time there wasn't enough air in it and it was like an old water bed, the last time we only put it on without air and made the mattress better would like to see what about an inch of air will do. Also if you are sleeping in an area of cold night air, put a wool blanket under your bedding, you will be surprised how warm you stay. Happy camping

2015 Camping nights 8 not enough!
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:08 AM   #10

I could never get comfortable with the stock mattress in our 21SS. Even with toppers and exercise pads underneath I always felt the deck. (To be fair - I weigh in at 260 lbs so only a really good mattress would have prevented that.)

We had very good results with a Queen size air mattress and a memory foam topper. I put a 1/2" thick piece of rigid foam on the deck to even things out. (Light weight and inexpensive.)

Since the air mattress completely filled the deck - touching the canvas on all 3 sides - we put reflectix between the mattress and the canvas when camping in colder weather to keep condensation from getting our pillows and bedding damp.

We plan on doing pretty much the same with the IKSS - just a thicker piece of rigid foam since the gap is so much higher.
2006 Fleetwood Bayside / 2006 4Runner
1999 Coleman SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #11

We use a mattress that we had made at Verlo mattress factory. We had it made for our Coleman popup camper and when we bought our 23IKSS we moved it to the Roo. We had them modify it by cutting a corner out to fit the night stand area because we sleep with our heads to the front of the camper which makes it much easier to get in and out of bed (don't have to crawl over anyone to get out). The mattress we bought has individual wrapped springs about 3 inches high on the bottoms layer with a 1 inch layer of firm foam over that and then a 1 inch layer of medium foam over that. Then the top of the mattress has the padded cloth cover like a normal mattress. It is a very comfortable mattress and is perhaps more comfortable than our mattress at home. When we pack up I just take it off the bed and roll it in half on the floor along the street side slide out. I also added a piece of 1 inch rigid foam insulation to the bed deck which helps a lot with controlling condensation on the front bed deck under the mattress. I cut it for a tight fit from the anchor point of the support cables to the plastic piece that holds the material over the hinge area. It stays right in place when folding up the bed end. Also with the mattress placed on the floor it is easier to fold up the front bunk because of having less weight on the deck.
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo