Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #1

Roo and Shamrock 23ss discontinued?

Just wondered if anyone noticed on the FR website there is no floor plan for 23ss hybrids, also my dealer sent me an order build sheet (thinking about ordering one to my taste) and the 23ss is not on there. Does anyone know if they are discontinuing these campers? just wondering here, the only other floor plan I like is the 23iks, but my wife doesn't like the island sink. I could do the 23 ws but I DO NOT LIKE where the tv is mounted, I like it over by the door like the 23ss.
Mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
Site Team

FR replaced the 23SS with the 23WS.
basically the 23SS with a wardrobe slideout.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Without debating the changes you also get a larger shower and bathroom. Its amazing what a few inches do. I'm 6'-4 and 230 and that was my issue with every hybrid made up until F.R. changed these bathrooms. The other big thing is they opened the storage to be more accessible from outside.

That being said you can still find 2016 23SS units around if you search, but better hurry, when they're gone they're gone.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #4

Attended a one dealer RV show yesterday at the local community college. They had a 23SS on display. Dealer is "The Great Outdoors" out of Fulton, NY.
We were there because we were watching the 3 yr. old grandson and this gave us something free to do with him but also did not allow us to pay too much attention to the RVs as you have to watch this kid like a hawk (he favored the fifth wheels).
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #5

I think it is going to have to be the 23ws, A lot of how that one is designed will work better for us, however, I may end up moving the entertainment center out by the door if it will fit, I wonder if the space there is the same as the 23ss, if it is too narrow I will not be able to move it, and yes I know it will be INSANELY DIFFICULT, but I am a retired Auto Tech and have a good idea what I would be getting into. I may just ad a tv mount and antenna there for the evenings, it is hard to say, I for the life of me can't imagine why FR thinks people want to splash their tv with bacon grease and strain your neck around to watch tv through the kitchen not to mention dodge the cook and bottle washer while the big game is on????? Other than that you really gotta love that 23ws. just my opinion I guess though.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Canadian Member

As a former 23SS owner, I like the new 23WS floor plan except the location of the entertainment centre and the door between the back bed and the main living area. I'd just remove the extra door.

The larger bathroom and shower enclosure are a big plus but the location of the TV makes it almost useless. IMO, the location in the last 23SS was perfect.

So many great changes and one terrible one.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

The 23ws looks good but have you seen the ikss in person? I wanted either the 21ss or 23ss. DW wanted the ikss. So, since we are the proud owners of a 2015 ikss, here's what I have found.
1. Counter space is excellent. Really helps when preparing a meal or cleaning up afterwards.
2. Storage is unmatched in a hybrid. Plenty of room for anything kitchen related.
3. Since they swapped the sofa and dinette, tv is in a good spot. You shouldn't have to move it
Just giving you some ideas to chew on. Really, you can't go wrong with either. Good luck with your decision.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
Canadian Member

The kitchen island floor plans are extremely popular right now but doesn't the slide out in the middle of the front wall reduce the usable space under the awning?
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
The kitchen island floor plans are extremely popular right now but doesn't the slide out in the middle of the front wall reduce the usable space under the awning?
That was an initial concern of ours, but the increased interior storage and room more than made up for it, at least for us. DW pointed out that with our old camper we always stored our totes, bottled water and adult beverages under the awning against the camper anyways. Now we just store these items under the slide.
Unless we're on a short week-end trip we normally set up an ez up type shelter away from the camper and spend our time there or out in the open and around the campfire. It helps that we pick large, wooded sites so we have the room to do this.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
I think it is going to have to be the 23ws, A lot of how that one is designed will work better for us, however, I may end up moving the entertainment center out by the door if it will fit, I wonder if the space there is the same as the 23ss, if it is too narrow I will not be able to move it, and yes I know it will be INSANELY DIFFICULT, but I am a retired Auto Tech and have a good idea what I would be getting into. I may just ad a tv mount and antenna there for the evenings, it is hard to say, I for the life of me can't imagine why FR thinks people want to splash their tv with bacon grease and strain your neck around to watch tv through the kitchen not to mention dodge the cook and bottle washer while the big game is on????? Other than that you really gotta love that 23ws. just my opinion I guess though.
We bought a 23WS and at first view, since we didn't travel with it yet...we love it !
I know the entertainment center is in a weird place but from the kitchen table, it is nicely placed.
We just bought two Samsung 19" televisions. One will go on the rear bedroom wall , and the other one on the front counter right side of the entrance door. I will run a cable wire to that location.
That rear bedroom door will stay and the reason is I sleep on the front bed and wake up very early .....With that door closed, I won't bother anyone in the morning.
Another mod I will do when spring arrives.... is building a garbage can shelf in the cupboard under that front cabinet (right side of the entrance)..... Already bought the sliders for it.

No matter which model you buy, you have to make it your own, and that's what will make you happy!
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #11

To me, doing a mod is adding a fireplace or power tongue jack or building a garbage can shelf, what do I do about the poor design of bacon grease splashed all over the tv? can't watch tv from the sofa, it is just silly, anyway I have some thinking to do I guess, maybe I will find a 23ss I like. but that bedroom door would be great for the same reason, as I wake up early and oh how I would like the bathroom. I would love to know if the space right inside the door is the same width as the 23ss, can you tell me how wide yours is Drenjoey? Then maybe someone with a 23ss would measure thiers and I would know so I could make a better choice knowing I could mod the entertainment center there if I get ambitious.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #12

Yes, you do lose some space under the awning but there is plenty left for us, maybe grandkids, and friends. All campers are a compromise and we decided the space loss under the canopy was more than made up by the additional room inside. But that's your call. FR makes 7-8 different floorplans and they all sell. Everyone has their own wants and needs and, most importantly, budget.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 01-17-2016, 05:53 AM   #13

I have to say that we very seldom use the stove....and cooking bacon inside the hybrid is a big no no. Most if not all of our cooking is done outside.
I'm not sure exactly what you want me to measure, but there's not much I can do at the moment........... It's winter here in Maine, and our 23WS in hibernating under a big blanket.
Another reason we didn't go for the 23IKSS, is the loss of space under the awning where we like the be. The slide out on the 23WS is more in the back and doesn't really interfere with anything.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #14

Definitely agree with no bacon inside. We use the stove for side dishes mainly, unless it's raining. Like to cook over wood fire as much as I can. If it's too hot for the campfire, I'll use the gas grill. Not the highest quality but functional.
2013 Ram 1500
Old 01-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #15

Yes, I had no choice but to cook inside with the old camper, but with the outside grill I can move it all outside! Good point, and we can do Mario cart from the dinette, so I think the upgraded bathroom and private bedroom (I too wake early and make noise) would be perfect! I will look into ordering the 23ws to my specs and see where I go from there. Thanks for the help and advice folks! I will let you all know down the road how I make out.
On a side note, Drenjoey are you by chance Red Sox fans? I used to be Terry Francona's catcher in little league, He was quite a good pitcher going up all through baseball.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #16

I'm not a big baseball fan.....the game is too slow for me. I prefer football and the Patriots.
As for Terry Francona, I was born in Montreal and remember him when he was 3rd baseman for the Montreal Expos (The best baseball school that's ever been). I think of Francona, Gary Carter, Tim Raines, Andre Dawson, Pedro Martinez etc etc......they all played for the Expos before moving to other teams (the Expos couldn't afford their salaries)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #17
Summer2Go

So maybe they will move the entertainment unit on the 2017 model when they re-design?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #18

So I got inside a 23ws today, all I can say is WOW! We LOVED it! I can clearly see the TV will be no problem at all, You can (as previously advised) easily see it from the dinette and the bunk actually, nice shower and the private back room will be apreciated by my wife more and more as time goes by. Our old camper is listed and all we have to do is come up with a deal by spring, I will be posting when and if I close on one, thanks all for the feedback!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:08 AM   #19

I won't say you made a good choice, cause everyone have different needs when it comes to an Hybrid or any other campers.
We too bought a 23ws, for the same reasons (rear bedroom and shower).
1- I understand that the rear bedroom and bathroom doors can bump one another but being only my wife and I, it's not a big issue.
2- The entertainment system is not a problem since we prefer watching television from the dinette than the couch
3- The other reason is that private bedroom .......and like you my wife will love it since she sleeps a little more than me in the morning.

Congrats if you buy a 23ws or any other camper out there.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #20

Ok, well I did it! I worked out a deal on a 2016 Shamrock 23ws! It has everything we wanted (except it has the fridge panels installed and my wife didn't want those) but she will get used to it, I bought it from Wholesale RV Club and am scheduled to pick it up next Sat!

As I mentioned before the tv location is not a problem after I saw one in person, but it is pretty well loaded so I am sure we will be fine.

Taking my Kodiak and trading it so i won't have to sell it! I got a great deal so I am happy.

Thanks to all for the advice and I will be sure to let you all know how I did!

Tags
23ss, roo, shamrock