Old 04-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCS View Post
Did not think of it until now but how about getting a couple of the blue Coleman camping mats like Walmart has which are 1/2" thick each and putting one on top of the other to make up the difference in height?
I've considered something like that. If I did, I'd get a single thicker piece, thick enough to make up the difference, and undercut the end that hangs over the shelf. Maybe put a thin layer that extends the whole length over a thick layer that's beveled at the end and stops at the shelf. I'd split it like the mattress and use fabric tape to make a hinge, perpendicular to the hinge on the mattress itself.

I still want to feel a little more confident that that would work, before I fork over the money. The answers I'm getting here vary widely.

Thanks for your input.

Chris

Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
In what position do you sleep, relative to the joint? Are there 2 adults in the beds? How tall are you?

Thanks
2 adults , just under 6 ft. Sleep along seam. I can see it, but not feel it in mine.

1999 Silverado with tow package

2006 Roo 23B hybrid

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
2 adults , just under 6 ft. Sleep along seam. I can see it, but not feel it in mine.
Thanks. That's helpful information.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
Weird, my 2014 Roo 183 does not have the difference in levels you speak of. All 3 beds fold out flat.
Where the bed meets the frame, is there not a transition of any kind, which some portion of the mattress overlays?
Old 04-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Where the bed meets the frame, is there not a transition of any kind, which some portion of the mattress overlays?
Well there's a hinge, yes, but I cannot feel it through the mattress. I think what you said in the OP is that there's a height difference between the "inside" platform and the door part of the bed. Mine does not have that.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:24 PM   #16

There definitely was a height difference, at least an inch, maybe more. There was a rubber flap to overlay the hinge but it didn't make much difference.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #17

4" memory foam queen size

We have a 4" memory foam queen size topper and sleep well even though we are old with shoulder and hip issues. We roll it up and put a bungee cord around it to hold it together during transport.

(Looking at the Georgetown 329DS)
Nights camped in 2011/16; 2012/15; 2013/48;
2014/10; 2015/101 2016/55 yr to date
pkenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #18

I was informed by a Forest River employee that they're using a new style of mattress for Roos and Shamrocks. It adjusts to the height difference and has an added foam layer over the inner spring mattress.

With respect to the description that it "adjusts to the height difference" I interpret that as meaning it's wedge shaped at the edge with the hinge. That would make the rear mattress different than the front mattress.

I have not seen it personally but confirmed through a FR dealer that all models produced since January have the new mattress. They have some models with the new mattresses on their lot. I haven't confirmed that January start date, either, but did confirm through FR that all new production uses it.

Through correspondence with the parts department I confirmed that a new style mattress is available for purchase, but it's pricey: $566.12 each + $40 for a crate + shipping.
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #19

You could cut down a sheet of styrofoam, from Home Depot, attach it to the bunk door under the mattress. This will level it out and provide extra insulation. You can also cut it in such a way as to move the crack to the wife's side

Wife and I never felt the extra comfort of the topper was worth the hassle always slept fine on the stock sleeping surfaces, remember we are still camping I think.

My fav is taking a nap on the couch in the middle of the hot day with A/C blasting the baseball game on the TV and the fridge full of ice cold beer; well so much for camping?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #20

Hopefully, the improvements by Forest River will resolve the problem without need for me to add anything.

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
Former pop-up owner
Hybrid owner wannabe

- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo