Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #1

Roo Bunkend Seal Kit

hellooooooo,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Forest River helped me out with free bunkend seal kits. I bought a used 2009 23SS. Since it was used I have no warranty. When I found out that both beds leak in hard rains, I emailed Forest River warranty, tstringfellow@forestriverinc.com. He promptly sent me out 2 kits at no charge. Apparently not all trailers leak, but if yours does and it's not in warranty, contact them with serial number. I think this speaks well of Forest River.

jp
jphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #2

Leaks in Running Lights

Our 23SS leaked at both fold out beds this summer. Although I have not been in a hard, steady rain since then, I found the problem to be the running lights near the roof. On both ends of the camper, two lights showed rust and mold, indicating water was getting into the lights and then running through the holes drilled for lighting wires. I removed and cleaned the lights and recaulked the lights.
We are going out for a month in January and I will let you know if the problem reoccurs.
camper22406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Site Team

mine has finally gone in for the retrofit. it's been nearly a year trying to get the parts in and setting up a time for the install.
my dealer has been great and very accommodating. they have fought for me with FR in getting this all done under warranty.
it was supposed to be done in August but delays and our trip to Glacier/Yellowstone in Sept., put it off until this month.

i'll report back when it's done. just a note, i hadn't had any leakage issues before. only when washing the trailer and spraying directly at the seal area, would i get some water intrusion. and it wasn't very much.
i just decided to have the retrofit done since it should be even better and it would be under warranty.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #4

Another Problem or Same Problem

I have noticed that the bed platform on the front of our 23ss appears to have water damage. It "gives" and dents when placing a knee on it to reach the zippers. The rear bed platform has small bumps in the one section which Forest River says may be "delamination" due to water damage. Are these the type of damages you folks are seeing when water or moisture enters due to faulty seals? I have not seen any extensive moisture on the bed platforms other than that that comes from mattress platform contact.

The problem with water coming in from the top of the bed frame seems to have been cured. We have very heavy continuous downpours this past week and no leaks at either end. I assume that the lights were the problem.

Any suggestions on the bed platform problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper22406 View Post
I have noticed that the bed platform on the front of our 23ss appears to have water damage. It "gives" and dents when placing a knee on it to reach the zippers. The rear bed platform has small bumps in the one section which Forest River says may be "delamination" due to water damage. Are these the type of damages you folks are seeing when water or moisture enters due to faulty seals? I have not seen any extensive moisture on the bed platforms other than that that comes from mattress platform contact.

The problem with water coming in from the top of the bed frame seems to have been cured. We have very heavy continuous downpours this past week and no leaks at either end. I assume that the lights were the problem.

Any suggestions on the bed platform problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
seals may not be the culprit. many RV's, not just hybrids, get water through the marker lights in front. or through bad caulking on the roof.

i would have the frames around the platforms taken off and looked at. maybe they didn't seal around the platform luan and water got into the core.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #6

ROO to Dealer

We took our 2007 23SS back to dealer last Friday as Forest River requested. Lo and behold, when the tech lowered the front bed there was a small puddle inside the frame. He took about two dozen photos (front and back beds). He found water damage at both ends. We now believe that some, if not all, of the mold and mildew on the interior canvas and bottom of the mattresses was caused by the water leaks. I will let you know that Forest River decides when we receive our response.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #7

Our 2007 Roo 183 has leaked at the front bunk end since the day we picked it up. The factory has twice pulled it back to Indiana for repairs. The factory has even replaced the entire front bed end, front cabinets (twice), and they can't stop the leaks. Good luck with your repair kit.
WetRoo183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #8

We are in our 4th week with no word from our Dealer or Forest River. Dealer said that FR declined to repair unit. Message from FR warranty confusing. Their email indicated dealer only asked for labor which FR refused to fund.

I have had to turn entire thing over to Good Sams Action Line. It's been 10 days since they communicated with FR.

What I can not really understand is that I can't get an honest, clear answer from either the dealer or Forest River. It's really a simple question: are you going to supply the parts required to repair the camper? If so, what parts are you supplying?

I certainly do not intend to have my dealer do the repairs as I have lost complete confidence in their abilities and commitment to customer service.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #9

I wish I could tell you it would be alright, but it won't. I have been fighting with FR since March 2007. They cannot and will not fix your trailer. I have identical problems. They went so far as to replace the entire front bunk on my trailers second trip back to the factory. It did no good. Its actually worse than it was before they started because now the front bed is delamiating and it still leaks. When I told the factory this they told me I would have to take it up with the dealer. This of course, makes no sense because the dealer has had nothing to do with the trailer since its first trip back to the factory in October of 2007. The factory no longer responds to me and a letter to the CEO has gone unanswered. The Oracle of Omaha really goofed up when he bought into Forest River.

I also went the Good Sams route. They sent a letter which is what generated the replacement of the front bunk. Good Sam considered it problem solved but as stated up above, the problem was anything but solved. I dumped my memebership to Good Sam. It wasn't worth the money.

You are stuck and so am I. I will never againg purchase a Forest River product of any kind. My feeling is that you will eventually come to the same conclusion.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #10

PS: My water is coming from the hinge, not the top.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #11

2008 Roo Leaks (front bunk)

also having leaks at front bunk of my 2008 Roo 183. this just recently started occurring and i'm interested to know if FR acknowledges the issue. is there a technical bulletin to fix the problem?

feel free to email me at enodirt@gmail.com

thanks.
enodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #12

Is the 21RS included in the bunk-end leak problems?
dapersico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapersico View Post
Is the 21RS included in the bunk-end leak problems?
no, you have a rear hard-sided bed slide. the bunk leak relates to the canvas bunk ends on hybrid trailers and the 21RS is not a hybrid. it is an expandable, though.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #14

We just received at repair kit. Are there any instructions on how to install the kit?
pcraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo